Literature What are you currently reading?

I just finished "Hemingway's Cats" by Lindsey Hooper. It is a nice lighthearted happy read about a young woman who moves to Key West to be a tour guide at the Hemingway House where 54 cats are in residence. This is of course a real place and there are the famous 6 toed felines. The characters in the book are a funny bunch of quirky characters. There is a hurricane which is based on Irma which did hit in 2017. It was a fun easy read and she has other books I will look for about cats.

I am reading a book of short stories edited by Lee Child (Reacher) - it is stories by two authors each of their famous characters
eg in the Reacher story he works together with Temperance Brennan (Bones/Reichs)

Matchup is the name of the book. Short intense stories are fun.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Finished "A Little Closer to Home" , the second book by Ginger Zee about her lifelong struggle with mental illness. She is a famous TV personality on ABC's Good Morning America. She is a meteorologist and covers all the storms. Her books are very honest and she is so courageous to share these very personal problems. Now when I see her on TV I will feel like I know her! Worth reading.

abandoned the Maeve Binchy book about half way through... short stories and they became unrelateable and "old" so started on the Andrew Grant book False Positive - 14 Chapters in and so far it is okay but nothing like his Dad - too many characters, so far, and that makes it challenging to keep straight and to get attached to... will read on

Emma JC

I just finished "The Elfstones Of Shannara" by Terry Brooks. It takes place about 50 years(?) after "The Sword Of Shannara". and ties in to some of the characters of that book. It was OK- quite a hefty tome, though (~800 pages hardcover... if "Mad Magazine" did a parody of it, it would probably end with the hero flattening the villain with a copy).

Like many such fantasies, it has maps of the lands where the action takes place. Kinda sad ending, though...

Amberle becomes a magical tree with the power to banish evil demons, etc from the land.

I have just finished "Five Little Indians" by Michelle Good who is a member of the Red Pheasant Cree Nation in Saskatchewan. This is an award winning first novel. It is about the shameful practice of snatching Native American children from their homes and putting them in "Christian" schools to "educate" them. This happened in Canada and the USA. This book chronicles the lives of five of these children starting in the 60's when they are 6 years old which is the age of the kidnappings. This book is deeply moving and had me in tears more than once.
It's time to go to the library and find something light and funny!

I have just finished "Five Little Indians" by Michelle Good who is a member of the Red Pheasant Cree Nation in Saskatchewan. This is an award winning first novel. It is about the shameful practice of snatching Native American children from their homes and putting them in "Christian" schools to "educate" them. This happened in Canada and the USA. This book chronicles the lives of five of these children starting in the 60's when they are 6 years old which is the age of the kidnappings. This book is deeply moving and had me in tears more than once.
It's time to go to the library and find something light and funny!

I read the book The Real All Americans, cause I thought it was about football. well it was about Football, but I also got an eduction on that stuff that went on with Native Americans.

The Real All Americans tells the story of the Carlisle Indian School and their (in)famous football team. It touches on the lives of many of the men who were associated with football at Carlisle, including player Jim Thorpe and coach “Pop” Warner. It also gives a brief history of the school and of football in general.​

I just found out after posting the book on Goodreads and looking at the reviews that there have been mass graves found at former "Indian School" locations in Canada. How horrible and tragic and makes the book so relevant!
Yes, just recently a lot more have been found.

I'm not making excuses but from my limited reading on the subject most of the children died of TB - so perhaps not as nefarious as it sounds.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW
I have started reading Robert Crais and am enjoying the series - his main charactar is sort of like Spencer in the Robert Parker books with a wry sense of humour - lots of action and some emotion and humour.

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: EllieW
Just finished "Mrs. Morris and the Witch" by Traci Wilton. I was looking for another Susan Wilson dog book when I came across this. It is a mystery about a youngish (42) widow who opens a B&B in Salem, Mass. It's Halloween and there are lots of things going on when a young woman who claims to be a witch is found dead in her shop. Mrs. Morris who has a rather unhealthy curiosity gets involved. It is a light read and fun with a resident cat and a ghost. I didn't realize this is a series and this was book 2 so now I have the first one on reserve. It will explain about the ghost I think.

I started reading "Black Leopard Red Wolf" by Marlon James because it came up on one of my book recommendation lists. I couldn't get into it at all. It is the first of a trilogy and I even checked out the second book. The reviews I read were very positive and it is a fantasy which I like. I just didn't "feel it". I don't have time to force myself to read something so I have put it aside. Anyone else read this book? It was published in 2019 so is fairly recent.

• Informative
  • Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
Finished "Bear Child" by Robert J. Wolfe who is a cultural anthropologist who studies hunting and fishing practices in the Far North. It is a mystery set in Alaska among the Eskimo people. Lots of information about the culture woven in the "whodunit" . It was really interesting and I am going to see if he has written any other books. This one was published in 2015.