Literature What are you currently reading?

Reactions: Lou
I was going to pace myself but I just read 3 or 4 Maisie Dobbs books in a row. (the last bunch are all available on Hoopla - all ebooks and no waiting.)

I'm reading number 15, The American Agent now. Number 16 is not in Hoopla but I can get it in hardcover at my library. Number 17 isn't out yet but I put it on hold at my library.

History plays an important role in all all the books. But these last ones are all wartime books. I was curious and concerned how the author was going to deal with WWII, but she has handled it by just dealing with the war on a personal level. The book I'm reading now takes place during the blitz and Masie and her friend Priscilla are driving an ambulance. Since I just learned that they are going to make a Maisie TV show, I found myself imagining some of the scenes we might see on the TV show.

Its been a while since I read Blackout and All Clear. But they are both about the blitz and one of the main characters is a woman driving an ambulance too. I loved those two books and An American Agent reminds me of them.

By the way, if you don't mind really really long books and also don't have issues with time travel, I highly recommend those books. They won multiple awards. They are both historical fiction and science fiction. and they are also mystery and romance. Something for everyone.

Reactions: Emma JC
I am reading an actual book book by Nora Roberts "Legacy" and enjoying that and also listening to "Rebecca" by Daphne de Maurier while I exercise and when falling asleep at night - I love the settings... you can have it stop after 15 minutes so that if you fall asleep it doesn't play to the end.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I am reading an actual book book by Nora Roberts "Legacy"
Why is it an "actual book"? as opposed to a virtual book. Or are you distinguishing from e-books or audio books?
you can have it stop after 15 minutes so that if you fall asleep it doesn't play to the end.
I have been using my iPhone for sleep tracking. And the sleep tracking app requires you to turn off bluetooth so I can't use my iPhone to listen to podcasts to fall asleep anymore.
And my Kindle Fire does not do a good job with podcasts. or maybe it does and I just haven't figured It out. but the kindle does play audio books from Hoopla. for falling asleep, I like choosing books I have already read. That way if its suspenseful it doesn't keep me up. Plus I don't have to listen to it that carefully. Since I generally fall asleep before the timer stops - then the next day I don't have to try to figure out where I left off - I just go on.

I am reading a "light" crime thriller called "Shoot First" by Stuart Woods. This is one of a series of books about Stone Barrington, former cop, lawyer, and adventurer. It is amusing and very easy reading. I have read others in the series and enjoyed them as well. These are books you can easily read in one afternoon if you want to.

I am reading a "light" crime thriller called "Shoot First" by Stuart Woods. This is one of a series of books about Stone Barrington, former cop, lawyer, and adventurer. It is amusing and very easy reading. I have read others in the series and enjoyed them as well. These are books you can easily read in one afternoon if you want to.
I've read a few Stuart Woods book. Yeah they are easy reading. My mom used to call them mind candy.
Did you know there are 75 Stone Barrington books?

Well I finished the Masie Dobbs book I was reading and got a new e-book from the library.

The Lincoln Highway​

by Towles, Amor

It is supposed to be great. I loved his first two. If anyone is interested in reading a book with some fiber - check out of his other books. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I had a bunch of books on hold that I was waiting for. As usual they are all arriving in a bunch next week.

I stopped listening to Rebecca and instead found a Robert Heinlein book "The Star Beast" so that is what I am listening to while exercising or falling asleep. Has everyone read Stranger in a Strange Land? or any other of his books?

Emma JC

I'm pretty sure I read Star Beast. I just read the synopsis and it sounds very familiar. but that particular plot has been done over and over again so I could just be thinking of one of the countless versions of the story.

When I was in High School and college I read A LOT of Heinlein. His best stuff was the stuff he read in the early 70s. That includes Stranger in a Strange Land, the Moon is a harsh mistress, and Time Enough for love . I imagine I was reading them as they came out. Stranger in a Strange Land was really popular with hippies and the counter culture. We even thought it was cool to use the word grok in conversation.

Although I am a huge sci fi fan, except for the middle books he wrote in the early 70s, I'm not a Heinlein fan. I felt then (and now) that his characters were unbelievable. Especially the women who were all beautiful and smart and super talented.

His early work of the 50s is mostly what are now considered YA. Star Beast is among those. Although not great literature - many of them were amazing for the time. Ground breaking and pioneering would not be an exaggeration. Most of these books were serialized in SF magazines and also sold as paperbacks.

Starship Troopers (1959) marked the end of his "juvenile period". Its another must read for sci fi and Heinlein fans. (BTW - its not much like the movie except for the broadest strokes of the plot and the characters' names. I happened to read Troopers during the Vietnam war and found myself very confused by its ideas and politics. Starship Troopers also holds a special place in my memory. I think it's the one and only movie I liked Better than the book.

We even thought it was cool to use the word grok in conversation.

I still think it is cool to do so. :weird:

his characters were unbelievable. Especially the women who were all beautiful and smart and super talented.
.....and the problem with that? 😜

Starship Troopers also holds a special place in my memory. I think it's the one and only movie I liked Better than the book.

one of my honey's favourite movies also - along with Armageddon and Deep Impact which we watched last night just to take a break from all the series etc.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I got this ebook delivered over the weekend so I put down the Lincoln Highway.

I just finished

The Consequences of Fear​

(Book 16 in the Maisie Dobbs series)
A novel by Jacqueline Winspear

I think my library must have just gotten the ebook version because last week I looked and it wasn't there.

The next book in the series isn't out till March.

This is also a wartime book and the blitz is still going on. Part of the story involves the British sending spies to France. The crime/mystery seems to more convoluted that usual.
I think there is a real emphasis on Maisie and her friends in this one. In the last couple of books her circle gets bigger with each edition.

I read a really good thriller yesterday One by One, it was influenced by Agatha Christie and written by Ruth Ware. I bought another one of her books to read today. The Woman in Cabin 10.

I recently finished The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. Really liked it, currently reading the sequel Obelisk Gate as well as Free Will by Sam Harris.

Today is When I was You - Amber Garza. I had forgotten how much I like staying at home and curling up with a book in my armchair and just reading in peace.

I finished a sci-fi novel called "The Vanished Birds". It was written by Simon Jimenez and is his first novel published in 2020. It is about jumping through time and space. If you like that kind of story, it is really interesting.