Weight loss while vegan?

April West

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie on here and have a few questions regarding weight loss.
Currently, I have lost around 6st or 86lbs from a calories restricted diet, but I still have a significant amount of weight to lose.
I've done plenty of research about what sort of foods I should be eating, however I was wondering if anybody had any insight on how many calories I should be eating on a vegan diet in order to steadily lose weight. I'm concerned that I wont be eating enough calories and this will in turn, create more problems!!!
Any help would be really appreciated :)

Thank you!!

Hi April West,

I really recommend you check out www.30bananasaday.com which is a vegan health and fitness community.
I don't advocate calorie restricting for weight loss, but if you are choosing to do that you absolutely must be taking a vegan multivitamin as a supplement (must include iodine - there are reports of people losing hair on a calorie-restricted vegan diet due to lack of dietary iodine. B12 and iron sources are also extremely important). Also do not attempt to lose more than 2 lbs per week and drink plenty of water. Keeping hydrated actually helps the body to burn the fat stored in cells more efficiently.

Most people find they eat a greater volume of food after going vegan because plant-based foods are less calorie dense. At least this should help your stomach to feel full and satisfied regardless.

Best of luck :)