Weak, headaches -new vegan!

Claiire1212

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey guys

So I'm super happy with my choice to go vegan, I was previously veggie but had cut out milk and rarely ate butter or eggs.

I'm on day three, and although at points I feel better and healthier and deff lighter! Sadly I'm experiencing quite bad headaches, feeling weak and tired and basically feeling kind of ill. I did take quite a jump and just went for the new lifestyle, I was eating ALOT of chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc before and now I am eating quite healthy (for me!) And vegan.
Today-
Cereal and soya milk
Two Wraps with hummous, tofu, peppers and lettuce
One wholemeal biscuit and alpro chocolate milk
Yesterday-
Cereal and soya milk
Pasta and sauce
Belivta breakfast bake
Rice, quorn vegan breaded chicken and carrots and green beans.

Any ideas what's going on?

You may not be eating enough calories?

I do not track my calories but switching to a new way of eating, it might be helpful for a few days?

Cronometer is good as it can track both what you eat and your activity/calories burn.

Some more fruits and veggies might be helpful. Bananas and frozen berries with your cereal?

Bodies always take a bit of time to adjust, good luck!!

Emma JC

Awh thanks, yeah after I ate more the headaches went so I wonder if it is that, might try eating more for the first week or so then go back to less again.

Not feeling the fruit in my cereal but with it will work!
Thanks!

That is the nice thing about a whole food plant based diet is that you can eat alot more volume without necessarily eating a lot of calories.

If you don't like fruit with your cereal it is also very nice, on the side, with sliced banana.

I add things like a sprinkle of cacoa powder, PB powder, cinnamon, etc to my fruit, even when I turn it into a smoothie.

Do you enjoy oatmeal?

Emma JC

Yeah good idea!
I love porridge yes, i need to get some in though.

Any tips, food ideas, basics literally anything I'd be grateful for advice, such a newbie.

My favourite oats are steel cut when making actual porridge, which we do at least twice per week.

My website has a few suggestions for easy meals, see link in my signature, cooljoy.

There are tons of 'what I eat in day' vegan youtube videos you can watch. Maddie Lymburner is one of my favourites.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH7fZDHwZR7ww23A50R1ppA

My best advice is "keep it simple" with lots of fruits and veggies and potatoes (including sweet), beans (refried and canned, also dried cooked overnight in a crockpot) and whole grain oil-free breads and pastas. For lunches I often do a small one pot of noodles, frozen cauliflower, lentils and topped with a tablespoon of tahini and a bit of soy sauce and/or sweet chilli sauce.

Tonight we are having gnocchi, with homemade pesto (see my site), garlic, onions, mushrooms, olives, spinach, and we are having a few pieces of "facon" in it also. Instead of oil for sauting the garlic and onions I use the
Have to go cook now.

Emma JC

Reactions: Nekodaiden
I think the only thing that would present that quickly is simply not eating enough. Dietry and nutritional deficiencies would take a lot longer for you to have any sort of symptoms.

Bread has a bad reputation but if you bake your own (trust me its really not that much effort or hassle at all) and use a good wholemeal flour its really not bad for you at all. I always eat a few rounds of peanut butter sandwiches or similar throughout the day, theres no way you aren't getting enough calories from that.

Maybe you have changed your lifestyle too quickly and your organism didn`t have enough time to accustom to new nutrition particularities? I would recommend you to inculcate new meal slowly and eat more beans and nuts. They are caloric and nutritive.

My favourite oats are steel cut when making actual porridge, which we do at least twice per week.

My website has a few suggestions for easy meals, see link in my signature, cooljoy.

There are tons of 'what I eat in day' vegan youtube videos you can watch. Maddie Lymburner is one of my favourites.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH7fZDHwZR7ww23A50R1ppA

My best advice is "keep it simple" with lots of fruits and veggies and potatoes (including sweet), beans (refried and canned, also dried cooked overnight in a crockpot) and whole grain oil-free breads and pastas. For lunches I often do a small one pot of noodles, frozen cauliflower, lentils and topped with a tablespoon of tahini and a bit of soy sauce and/or sweet chilli sauce.

Tonight we are having gnocchi, with homemade pesto (see my site), garlic, onions, mushrooms, olives, spinach, and we are having a few pieces of "facon" in it also. Instead of oil for sauting the garlic and onions I use the
Have to go cook now.

Emma JC

I just realized that I didn't finish my sentence.... really did have to go and cook!

Tonight we are having gnocchi, with homemade pesto (see my site), garlic, onions, mushrooms, olives, spinach, and we are having a few pieces of "facon" in it also. Instead of oil for sauting the garlic and onions I use the brine from the jar of olives or from a jar of capers if I have one open.

Emma JC