Very new and very lost

Chelsey M

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello! I hope this is the appropriate place to post this, if not please feel free to give me guidance. I'm still new to the community and navigating this new world! I come from a very long line of dairy and beef farmers, so naturally that is what I have consumed a majority of my childhood. However, six years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition which lead to extreme GI complications. I thought I just had to go to the doctor and everything would be fine. I found myself on numerous medications just to keep my body properly functioning and I thought this was absurd but necessary. It wasn't long until I found myself anxious, in debt, and still experiencing extensive, painful GI issues. After doing my research, I have decided I need to make some serious lifestyle changes. I've already started eating plant based, but I feel so inexperienced. I don't know what I'm doing in the grocery store, and I constantly find myself eating the same foods. I have also been finding it the most difficult to get around dairy. I'm experiencing extreme fatigue, but when I go to the doctor everything is fine. I'm wondering if anyone felt this way starting out and if there are any resources you found especially helpful to transition smoothly? It is quite clear I still have a lot of research to do, but it has been very difficult to weed through it all. I just don't want to revert back to my old lifestyle when I'm feeling especially weak and vulnerable.

Reactions: DoxieMom and betiPT
hi Chelsey and welcome to the forum and to taking control of your health - it is a step many people never make.

There are many similar threads here which you should be able to find fairly easily so I will keep my remarks short.

First, go to Cronometer and for a week or two keep track of what you're eating and your activity levels, and make sure you are eating enough calories and getting enough nutrients. Calories are the most important.

Also, if you have GI tract issues already then you will want to watch your fibre levels until you are healed in that area as too much fibre and too much fructose/sugar can be harmful to an already struggling gut.

Research is the right thing to do and I would suggest watching a lot of "what I eat in a day" videos of vegans and also checking in with Gogiman and others that have expertise on gut issues. It is not something you want to allow to worsen.

If you can find a plant based doctor or health professional (nutritionist etc) in your area then that might be helpful also.

Wishing all the best of health for you.

Emma JC

Oh good for you! I'm glad to hear you are transitioning from such a heavy diet of animal products and transitioning slowly is actually more effective for some people, allowing them to learn how to overcome obstacles so they can stay vegan long term.

If you have GI issues I recommend you research this topic by trusted vegan doctors. For example eating an excess of fiber might actually aggravate your symptoms, you might want to look into vegan FODMAPS which seems to help some people with issues similar to yours.

Eliminating dairy though might be in your best interest if you have IBS it could actually trigger it.

Good luck and welcome!

Hi, and welcome.

Cronometer is usually where I tell people to start, too. it is a great tool.

But it sounds to me like you need way more help than that.

If you like to learn from books then go to the library and see what is on the shelf. When I became vegan the first book I read was The Idiot's Guide to Veganism. It was astonishingly good. It doesn't have to be that book but a book is a really good place to start.

Whether or not you like books, you also might like to take a course. There are lots available on the internet. I can recommend two from personal experience. The PCRM Kickstart is free. The 30 Day Vegan Challenge is normally $40. But for the month of Vegananuary, it is only $4. So you might want to jump on that deal.

Both courses start sending you a daily email. The emails may include a link to a video or audio file or a PDF to read. The 30 day is more structured with a day to day plan. The Kickstart is a bit more flexible. both plans take about 5 minutes a day, although some of the lessons can be twice that long. Both plans cover all the basics: things like going out to eat and grocery shopping. Both plans have lots of recipes. I did like the 30 Day a little better. But the Kickstart has a social media element. If you start the program on the first day of the month there is a chat room where your fellow students can meet up to chat things up.

Oh, also if you want to get really into the diet aspects, How Not To Die is one of the best books to read.
and here are 11 INSIGHTFUL BOOKS FOR PEOPLE CONSIDERING VEGANISM

Hello and Welcome :)

Dairy is a difficult one to kick because of casomorphin, so please don't be hard on yourself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casomorphin

You have received brilliant suggestions so far from the wonderful vegans in this forum.

Feel free to let us know what you feel you typically eat and we can suggest other food to mix it up :)

Chef AJ is also brilliant at lovely and healthy recipes.

Good Luck :)

It can feel daunting starting out, but the key is to give yourself some credit for wanting to make a transition, for wanting to make a change. I started out by making smoothies. It helps with getting started in a quick and easy way. Just throwing in your favorite fruit and vegetables into a blended can get you started and on track. If you are okay with spending a little, you could also try a food delivery program such as purple carrot where they prep vegan meals and deliver to your doorstep.

https://retrievingyourhealth.com/

https://www.purplecarrot.com/

Last edited: