US "We need to retire the poor-people/fast-food argument against veganism"

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
When I was in a position to argue with non-vegans on a regular basis, I heard far more frequently "What about cheeeeeese?????" than the argument that veganism is for elites. But anyway….

Coming from a mid-sized, US state capital, I can attest to the existence of food deserts and the unavailability of fresh produce and quality vegan staples like decent dried beans, tofu, vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, milk substitutes and non hydrogenated nut butters in inner cities. I can easily drive to 6 quality grocery stores within five minutes of my home. If I didn't have a car, I could take the bus, but it would take me at least 30 minutes each way. On the northeast side of this city, its a very different story, with gas stations, drug stores and fast food being far more plentiful and easily reachable than well-stocked grocery stores. And in our city, most students qualify for reduced or free breakfasts and lunches, which certainly not normally nutritious vegan meals (unless by accident!).

I feel lucky I can be vegan.

So very true. There are many parts of Cleveland where without transportation you're limited to expensive corner stores with little or expensive produce. There are many community run gardens, school gardens, and one that works to rehabilitate prisoners by working the soil. It's definitely getting better, and farmers markets off double value on food stamps