Was for 6 months

T

thinman

My wife and I did a 30 day challenge then kept at it for 6 month 100%, after that we slowly transitioned back to eating anything we wanted.

Just saying, not that we don't eat Vegan we do but 100% wasn't for me. The post was more of an intro to my lifestyle, over my lifespan I've became vegan several times with different reason to not continue.

First time I went vegan was a Yoga influence, another time it was Shaolin interest, more recent years health and fitness. These days veganism is fairly popular but not everyone does well, it's more recommended to be a lacto-ovo vegetarian for health. Canada health recommend a flexitarian diet and that's where me and me wife are at and plan to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify, when I sez eat anything I wanted was meant that say going to my coffee shop and have the banana walnut cake they bake, or my fave noodle is German which has egg in it. On the whole we eat clean natural food but also buy processed like Gardain (vegan) Turky cutlets, vegan deli and Beyond ground meat substitute, soy milk. But once in a while none vegan pizza and other food, some cheese and if we go out, depends where and who with but most times like on a rare visit to McDonald's will choose the PLT.

Reactions: Val, David3 and Lou
Went back to dairy and also my regular healthy diet, no more fake factory food.

I'm very healthy, fit and at almost 68 on zero medication. I don't think total vegan or vegetarian is for me, I've given it a go over my life-span.

Went back to dairy and also my regular healthy diet, no more fake factory food.

I'm very healthy, fit and at almost 68 on zero medication. I don't think total vegan or vegetarian is for me, I've given it a go over my life-span.

Very glad to hear that you have maintained your strength and health over your entire life.

It should be noted, of course, that all mainstream health organizations have stated that properly-planned vegetarian diets (including vegan diets) are a healthy option.

The American Heart Association's statement on vegetarian diets: How does Plant-Forward (Plant-Based) Eating Benefit your Health?

The American Diabetes Association's statement on vegetarian diets: What Can I Eat? | ADA

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' statement on vegetarian diets: Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Vegetarian Diets - PubMed

The American Council on Exercise's statement on vegetarian diets: Are vegetarian diets safe?

Reactions: Raven, Val and Lou
I joined the senior centre near me that has a great gym, so will be lifting the iron twice a week. I use organic soy milk, skipped meat in favour of beyond meat and of course regular plant base, fruits veg, nuts, grains, beans and pulses.

I'll be following some vegan muscle websites for inspiration, also have vegan bodybuilding and fitness books.

You sound a lot like my mom who is in her 60s. She's afraid to give up fish. But she eats plant-based meals several times a week, has been off dairy milk longer than I have (since I was literally in my teens, due to lactose intolerance) and is at least not actually abusive towards myself and my other sister who have had plant-based/vegan diets. I think some people are just never going to change. I have completely given up on my mother, she is going to make dead animal bodies on holidays, and nothing will ever stop her. Even after several members of my family (not me) were once sickened by an undercooked holiday roast.

People over 60 are not my target audience, frankly. I know some of you are super cool, but it's an age where people have either settled into their own habits or will literally not be alive when the worst of climate change comes. I know that Baby Boomers are single-handedly the most environmentally destructive and greedy generation that has literally lived on planet Earth. In that light, my mother is one of the good ones. Ah, to be blessed with a flexitarian mother. It's something of a blessing, all things considered. Especially since I'm from the South. The dirty South. My mother also makes Jewish recipes my deceased grandma used to make. It's not gonna change.

I guess you're one of the better older people. Some people of your generation are so shockingly narcissistic and disappointing that I'll accept your flexitarian crumbs.

I'll save my rage for Millennial "ex-vegans."

Born 1952 Manchester UK, we were poor, my mum being a single parent. Ate meat but it was expensive so ate very small amounts and only natural food. My vegetarian story starts late 60's with Yoga influence, age 20 we emigrated to Ontario Canada. To meet people I joined a Sivananda Yoga studio and became vegan for a short while. Over the years it has been off and on, '78 move to the West Coast and discovered tofu and Tai Chi. During the 90's was much impressed with Shaolin monks and again vegan. 2015 have been into Yoga and many friends being vegan influence my eating even not always vegan myself. 2017 did 100% vegan for 6 months, slowly went back but mainly healthy. So here I am today, back on the path - Vegan.

Reactions: David3 and Danielle
People over 60 are not my target audience, frankly. I know some of you are super cool, but it's an age where people have either settled into their own habits or will literally not be alive when the worst of climate change comes. I know that Baby Boomers are single-handedly the most environmentally destructive and greedy generation that has literally lived on planet Earth. In that light, my mother is one of the good ones. Ah, to be blessed with a flexitarian mother. It's something of a blessing, all things considered. Especially since I'm from the South. The dirty South. My mother also makes Jewish recipes my deceased grandma used to make. It's not gonna change.

I guess you're one of the better older people. Some people of your generation are so shockingly narcissistic and disappointing that I'll accept your flexitarian crumbs.

The older Baby Boomers were the original hippies, who helped to popularize yoga and vegetarianism in North America.

Reactions: thinman
You sound a lot like my mom who is in her 60s. She's afraid to give up fish. But she eats plant-based meals several times a week, has been off dairy milk longer than I have (since I was literally in my teens, due to lactose intolerance) and is at least not actually abusive towards myself and my other sister who have had plant-based/vegan diets. I think some people are just never going to change. I have completely given up on my mother, she is going to make dead animal bodies on holidays, and nothing will ever stop her. Even after several members of my family (not me) were once sickened by an undercooked holiday roast.

Or direct it towards ex vegan Gen-x'ers 🙄
You're quite big on stereotyping!

interesting...you are and were vegan for health reasons...nothing wrong about that...just mention it as obviously vegan is healthier than eating animal products...but...not a word said about the health or lives of animals concerns...interesting...so you do not care about saving lives except your own...which is interesting.

I myself had no idea if vegan was healthier or not when i went vegan...copied my dogs who were vegan fed is why i decided to stop killing animals...then i read up there were huge health benefits to ME from eating vegan as well as the environment and starving children etc...so it all made sense and i joined up the dots.

On that basis...you can at least have no objection to me and other vegans feeding my pet prisoner companion dogs and cat vegan pet foods lol ! at least that hey ! because someone who does not care about saving animals lives certainly can have no objection to anyone killing and eating their companion pet animals if they wish to...or feeding them like pigs vegan diets even if they could digest animal products...after all...they are all just animals.

That said...at least someone honest about "why vegan" for "personal health reasons"

ps I wish the public would "wake up" in this coronavirus pandemic to "join up the dots" and realise...we are in the mess of lockdowns and economic meltdowns due to eating animals...and more viruses ahead a certainty.

interesting...you are and were vegan for health reasons...nothing wrong about that...just mention it as obviously vegan is healthier than eating animal products...but...not a word said about the health or lives of animals concerns...interesting...so you do not care about saving lives except your own...which is interesting.
A vegan saves animals' lives, whether or not that is their principal reason for being vegan.

Last edited:
Reactions: silva
A vegan saves animals' lives, whether or not that is their principal reason for being vegan.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but you can read that as the person's intent is not what makes a person vegan. and I don't believe that is true. In fact, i think the person's intent is the most important characteristic of being vegan.

A vegan is a person who does not want to exploit animal lives.

If a person's only motivation is personal health than why would he/she be avoiding wool, silk, down, leather, and pony rides?

Do some vegans also think personal health is important (or the environment)? Yes of course. I suppose there is room for which might be personally more important. But not exploiting animals has to be on the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegan Dogs
I'm not sure if this is what you meant but you can read that as the person's intent is not what makes a person vegan and I don't believe that is true. In fact, i think the person's intent is the most important characteristic of being vegan.

I agree, intent has significance. However, our intent doesn’t mean much to farm animals.

Vegetarians save farm animals. Flexatairans save farm animals. Pescatarians save farm animals.
How are they different from vegans?

Reactions: Vegan Dogs

if you read thinman post...he stated he is not going to be vegan...a flexitarian in fact ..

" a flexitarian diet and that's where me and me wife are at and plan to stay. "

and that is not surprising...people who simply "eat vegan" are not actually vegan as some one else commented veganism is not just a DIET but avoidance of using animal products as clothes going to zoos avoided etc....

and those who go vegan for reasons that exclude concern for animal lives are the most likely to not really be vegan even short term let alone long term

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and Lou
Vegetarians save farm animals. Flexatairans save farm animals. Pescatarians save farm animals.
How are they different from vegans?
Vegans save more farm animals, because we completely abstain from animal-sourced foods.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou