Was for 6 months

It is not difficult to get enough protein. If I'm not missing something, if one eats 500g of brown rice and 200g of lentils (raw dried weight) that is already more or less 65g of protein , nutritional value changes according to the source , and covers the daily needs of people up to around 80 Kg of weight and one can easily eat that much in two meals and get the rest from the other if he needs. There are also more proteic cereals like oats, wheat and spelt that cover that amount even more easily.

Last edited:
It is not difficult to get enough protein....
I've gone back and forth on this one.

As a beginner vegan, I immediately went into the "where do you get your protein" mode and paid a lot of attention to protein.
Then I enrolled in the school of thought, "if you are eating enough calories you are eating enough protein".
Later after overdoing it in the calorie department, I joined the "lose weight by restricting calories" club and had to pay more attention to protein. Although vegans can easily get 10 - 20 % of their calories from protein it requires some thought (and lots of beans) to hit 20 - 30%.
Now because of my health, I have an RD who wants me to eat 85g of protein a day. And at least 2000 calories. This is like 30% more than my previous goals. Even after 6 months I still find these goals challenging.

I realize that my present self is a special case but I just wanted to express that it may not be as easy for everybody.

However, if you exercise a lot your calorie requirements should be a lot. And your protein goals should be easier not harder. I've watched some vegan bodybuilder videos. They get over 100 g of protein petty easily - but then they eat like 3000 calories a day.

Reactions: KLS52
I've always like this guy ( he likes his beans ), his meal prep is very basic . . .

Vegan Physique

I mainly eat Alpen unsweetened muesli for breakfast = 12g protein a cup plus soy milk =8g plus walnuts, cashews, ground flax and chia seed, 4 dates, 2 prunes, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, that was every work day but being retired it's occasionally.

Like Rob I eat white Basmati rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone back and forth on this one.

As a beginner vegan, I immediately went into the "where do you get your protein" mode and paid a lot of attention to protein.
Then I enrolled in the school of thought, "if you are eating enough calories you are eating enough protein".
Later after overdoing it in the calorie department, I joined the "lose weight by restricting calories" club and had to pay more attention to protein. Although vegans can easily get 10 - 20 % of their calories from protein it requires some thought (and lots of beans) to hit 20 - 30%.
Now because of my health, I have an RD who wants me to eat 85g of protein a day. And at least 2000 calories. This is like 30% more than my previous goals. Even after 6 months I still find these goals challenging.

I realize that my present self is a special case but I just wanted to express that it may not be as easy for everybody.

However, if you exercise a lot your calorie requirements should be a lot. And your protein goals should be easier not harder. I've watched some vegan bodybuilder videos. They get over 100 g of protein petty easily - but then they eat like 3000 calories a day.
The protein values doctor McDougall presents for adults in The Starch Solution from different sources range between 30 to 80 and if things haven't changed since then the USDA/WHO values range between 30 to 71, so needing more than 80g one must weight more than 100 Kg?

Never thought in terms of calories and to be honest that theory of total amount of calories confuses me. For instance from the literature one can get all the proteins he needs from grains alone but for that one has to consume above the caloric needs. And what if one consumes a lot of fat and sugar can't he reach the caloric before the protein needs?

But following the opposite reasoning doing a WFPB diet if one is gets enough proteins he is meeting the caloric needs, and I find that more reliable and easy to estimate for the reasons above.

Last edited:
I've always like this guy ( he likes his beans ), his meal prep is very basic . . .

Vegan Physique

I mainly eat Alpen unsweetened muesli for breakfast = 12g protein a cup plus soy milk =8g plus walnuts, cashews, ground flax and chia seed, 4 dates, 2 prunes, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, that was every work day but being retired it's occasionally.

Like Rob I eat white Basmati rice.
He says lentils have 24 grams of protein that's what the package I use also says, Internet values tend to be lower don't know why, using package values for the above 200g of lentils + 500g of rice it would go above 80g and cover protein needs for everyone.

Of course I'm not taking in consideration that the amino-acid with lowest value limits the amount of proteins synthesized. Don't know how this plays in the biggest scheme of things.

Last edited:
The protein values doctor McDougall presents for adults in The Starch Solution from different sources range between 30 to 80 and if things haven't changed since then the USDA/WHO values range between 30 to 71, so needing more than 80g one must weight more than 100 Kg?

Never thought in terms of calories and to be honest that theory of total amount of calories confuses me. For instance from the literature one can get all the proteins he needs from grains alone but for that one has to consume above the caloric needs. And what if one consumes a lot of fat and sugar can't he reach the caloric before the protein needs?

But following the opposite reasoning doing a WFPB diet if one is gets enough proteins he is meeting the caloric needs, and I find that more reliable and easy to estimate for the reasons above.

Well, there you go. It's not as easy or straightforward as some people propose.

And looking back, I should have not brought up my own requirements. They fall way outside the "normal" recommendations.

Reactions: fakei
Well, there you go. It's not as easy or straightforward as some people propose.

And looking back, I should have not brought up my own requirements. They fall way outside the "normal" recommendations.
Or maybe you should. It's good to learn about other people needs not just our own and been learning a lot by reading your posts.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou