TV & Film (Warning: Spoilers) - Lost Finale

<<<tries desperately to refrain from clicking that link :)

(I think Lostpedia has a list too)

Some random unstructured thoughts:

1 - I liked that things were left open. Leaves something to the imagination. I prefer endings that arent all tied up in a little bow.
2 - I dont know how else they couldve ended it, people wouldve complained either way.
3 - Best moment in whole show - "Not Penny's boat"

Ive never really been into TV, but Lost sucked me in more than any other show has. I havent found a replacement, most TV is junky shite. I wante to watch Walking Dead or Waking dead or whatever its called, but always bloody missed the episodes (my internet is slow so I cant stream etc). Alcatraz, I tried to get into, but just couldnt. I miss having a show to look forward to!

Some mystery = cool by me too, I just felt that it was way too much and don't believe the "we had this all planned out" story for a second. "Not Penny's boat" = a great moment indeed. Shannon translating the French message was great imo though too, and Penny/Desmond's phone call (dude, I cried like a baby). Best moment for me though = Libby in the mental ward.

Stupid writers.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Lost was great. I don't think I fully understand the ending, but I didn't think it meant they were dead the whole time. I'm fine with unanswered questions. Why does every little thing in a work of sci-fi/fantasy have to be explained? Some of my favorite science-fiction writers, the Strugatsky brothers, avoid explaining how things work most of the time.

Did any of you watch Alias before Lost came out? It was JJ Abram's earlier show. I haven't seen it in 8 years probably, but I really, really loved it when I was younger. Lots of plot twists and sci-fi/fantasy elements, even though, yes, it is a show about a spy.

Lost was great. I don't think I fully understand the ending, but I didn't think it meant they were dead the whole time. I'm fine with unanswered questions. Why does every little thing in a work of sci-fi/fantasy have to be explained? Some of my favorite science-fiction writers, the Strugatsky brothers, avoid explaining how things work most of the time.

Did any of you watch Alias before Lost came out? It was JJ Abram's earlier show. I haven't seen it in 8 years probably, but I really, really loved it when I was younger. Lots of plot twists and sci-fi/fantasy elements, even though, yes, it is a show about a spy.
The only reason I'm mad about questions not being answered is because the thing that made me tune in every Tuesday night was the promise that those questions would be answered.

The only reason I'm mad about questions not being answered is because the thing that made me tune in every Tuesday night was the promise that those questions would be answered.

I guess I never read or saw anything with that promise in it.

Yes, I watched Alias. I liked it, but it was basically a copy of the version of La Femme Nikita starring Peta Wilson, which I found much more compelling. If you've never seen that version of La Femme Nikita, you should give it a try - I bet you would like it.

With respect to Lost: I find stories that leave a considerable amount to the imagination more compelling than ones that neatly tie up all loose ends, and it really doesn't matter to me what off screen promises may have been made about the tying up of loose ends.

Reactions: thefadedone
Yes, I watched Alias. I liked it, but it was basically a copy of the version of La Femme Nikita starring Peta Wilson, which I found much more compelling. If you've never seen that version of La Femme Nikita, you should give it a try - I bet you would like it.

Yes! I was going to mention this. I tried watching Alias, but I couldn't help but constantly compare it to La Femme Nikita which was an incredible show. I loved La Femme Nikita so much and Alias just seemed like too much of a copycat that could never replace the real thing.

LFN (with Peta Wilson) is one of my top 5 favorite shows. I need to do a marathon watch of it again, it's been a while. Didn't they model Alias after LFN, anyway? They also had a much higher budget than LFN did.

So now I need to rewatch LFN and LOST. It's been a long time for both. haha

I would assume they modeled Alias after LFN - it would be difficult to explain the similarities otherwise.

I've tried to watch the current version of Nikita, but haven't been able to get through an entire episode. Peta Wilson simply owns that role, and always will.

I didn't see it as they were dead the whole time, because well, it says right there in the finale that they weren't...the part where Jack's Dad is talking with him (I think in the church?).

I too, loved the randomness of the show. When it was good, it was so very very very good, it that JJ Abrams way. The fate of Charlie, Rose's illness, the whole part with Henry Gale in the cell/John Locke/the shooting, and the whole episode about The Constant....some really amazing stuff there.

And dude, there was loaaaaads of stuff left unanswered, even things that the writers swore would be wrapped up (which is why I think they're just full of ****). They made some sort of press release after the death of Libby promising answers, and seasons later we still got nothing. What was the giant idol about? What did Walt see? How did Desmond survive? What's up with Penny's dad? Why didn't Sun get sent to the past, but was still on the plane during on the time travel nonsense? Not to mention a whole lot of details about secondary characters like Rousseau. Or the aforementioned polar bears.

The only thing I liked about the finale was the return of Vincent.

Oi. I've been looking for a new show to fill me with that excitement that I felt on "Lost night" for awhile. Lots of folks telling me about Game of Thrones, so might give that a go now that (cross fingers) the bean is actually starting to sleep more than 40 minutes at a time.

You're right about Walt for sure. Of all the little things I can forgive, that was not one of them. They made a huge deal out of him and then just abandoned it. :rolleyes:

I'm a huge fan of David Lynch - needless to say; a neat ending that wraps everything up with a bow is fairly uncommon in his films. And you know what? I find that it doesn't really matter. I think I recall a quote from him saying something along the lines of 'I don't feel an urgency to explain everything that occurs in my movies.' The key is having a solid premise, captivating plot line and characters that make you feel. How it all plays out in the end, while I can see it being satisfying if it is done well - is also just a form of holding the viewers' hands - which can come off (to me) as dumbing it down.

I loved Lost for all of the twists, turns and intrigues - and whether they were fully explained or not -eh whatever. And I kept coming back for the characters -they hooked me. I was a little dissappointed with the ending because it felt like the writers were straddling the line of trying to explain everything yet retain some of the mystery that gave it so much magic. There were times I felt like I didn't know if they were giving me the answer or just a clue to the answer. So it was a bit sloppy - but hey, we're still talking about it, that tells you something.

I'm a huge fan of David Lynch - needless to say; a neat ending that wraps everything up with a bow is fairly uncommon in his films. And you know what? I find that it doesn't really matter.

Inland Empire seems like a puzzle teasing me that I could understand it all if I was smart enough. But I can't for the life of me--nor can I tell whether such a thing is actually possible. I also don't know if that makes the film better or worse for me, but I love it either way.

Inland Empire seems like a puzzle teasing me that I could understand it all if I was smart enough. But I can't for the life of me--nor can I tell whether such a thing is actually possible. I also don't know if that makes the film better or worse for me, but I love it either way.

:) That pretty much sums it Inland Empire for me as well! "WTF - the credits are rolling? But...but..."

(The scene with Laura Dern's character crying is about as awesome as character acting gets. I cried with admiration of her ability to effuse such emotion on camera. My. God.)

I obsessed over Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive and Fire Walk with Me - trying deperately to associate some hidden meaning to various parts of them. That was almost as fun as watching the films!

:yes: Amazing performance by Laura Dern in that film, though I'm not sure which scene you mean. I remember being struck by the scene where she does her first bit of dialogue. <3 Mullholland Drive and Lost Highway also, of course.