TV & Film (Warning: Spoilers) - Lost Finale

cornsail

Forum Legend
Reaction score
You all know it wasn't a "they were dead the whole time" ending, right?

When people talk about the ending of Lost I don't know if they mean the flash sideways ending, the main plot ending or both. When people say "cop out" or "they promised it wouldn't end that way" I get confused as to what is meant and tend to suspect they're talking about the flash sideways ending and interpreted it as being "they were dead the whole time". That's why I had to ask.

I thought the main plot ending was kinda silly (throughout the final season, not just the last episode) and there were too many unanswered questions, but I liked the flash sideways ending okay. I think of the flash sideways arc as a sort of throwaway anyway, since none of it was really relevant to the rest of the plot of the show, except in a "and here's what happened much later" sort of way.

I didn't make it to the final. In fact I didn't make it through the first season but I think the lack of answers would have ****** me off a lot more than it being some kind of purgatory they were in. That would have been the cop-out for me.

Reactions: Veggiemama
Well when you think about it, there wasn't even a huge lack of answers. Aside from no closure with Walt (which I must admit I was slightly disappointed about because they made him out to be so important and then abandoned the storyline altogether) anything they didn't wrap up is pretty much either unimportant to the overall story or can be wrapped up by thinking about it a bit.

When Hubby and I watched the finale, I looked at the tv in a WTF manner, and my husband vowed never to get 'attached' to a tv show again.

Of course, we ended up watching other stuff afterwards, but that made him angry.

The smoke?
It was an ancient demon that lived in the Island and judged people...something like that.

I'm still bitter about Lost. So much so that I don't even know why I'm posting in this thread at all :mad:

I stopped watching after the second series I think. What was the reason for the polar bears walking around?:p

I stopped watching after the second series I think. What was the reason for the polar bears walking around?:p

I don't even remember if that was addressed. A lot of stuff wasn't. They took a lot of plots and flushed them in favor of new ones. Sometimes, they came back to old stuff...sometimes they didn't.

A really strange way of writing, I must say.

I don't even remember if that was addressed. A lot of stuff wasn't. They took a lot of plots and flushed them in favor of new ones. Sometimes, they came back to old stuff...sometimes they didn't.

That is typical as that was something I was intrigued by even when I stopped watching the show!:D

I'm pretty sure the polar bear thing was addressed. I just can't remember what it was... Lol

I'm pretty sure the polar bear thing was addressed. I just can't remember what it was... Lol

I don't remember really. Joe says it had something to do about the "others" being there and them having cages in which polar bears were kept, but still no explanations as to why they were kept there.

But his first reaction to my question was: "No...no it wasn't. Just another bit of ********." :D

The smoke monster turned out to be Jacob.

(man, am I glad for the spoiler warning in the title)

I get pretty obsessive about this, so forgive the long post!

So what were the monsters that you heard crashing through the jungle in season 1?

The smoke monster. It's been harassing them since episode one and continued to harass them until the very last.

The smoke?
It was an ancient demon that lived in the Island and judged people...something like that.

Not quite. The island has always had a caretaker, and both Jacob and his brother were potential candidates for the job. Then Jacob's brother (who is never actually named for some reason) kills their mother, who was the old caretaker, and Jacob in his rage cast his brother into the light at the center of the island, turning him into the abomination we know as the smoke monster by embodying the brother's anger at the world he lived in.

I was kind-of hoping for it to be an ancient demon or a bio-mechanical nanocloud or something like that, but I liked the island backstory as much as I would have liked either of those, so it was good for me.

The polar bears were kept in cages and experimented on by the Dharma initiative. When that fell apart, they broke lose and managed to survive despite the change of environment due to the Island's natural diversity.

The smoke monster turned out to be Jacob.

Ack! That's like going up to someone religious and telling them that God is Satan! :eek:

Jacob and the "smoke monster" (known by fans as the MIB or Man In Black since the writers apparently never bothered to name him) were brothers, as described above. Though Jacob was certainly flawed, he was the "good guy", for lack of a better term, in comparison to his brother (well, more of what his brother became).

I think the main problem people have with the show is either being overwhelmed or not caring enough about it to try to understand it. Yes, the writers did do some goofy things, and they did abandon some storylines in favor of others. That will happen naturally in a show that lasts as long as LOST did and with changing times and perspectives of those involved. But if you can step back and look at the big picture of the incredibly crazy complex background they created for the show, then the occasional mess-ups in the writing don't matter. It's a show that's definitely not for everyone, but I think people just like saying how annoying and confusing it was because it's popular to say that, and I wish people would see it for what it was.

That's just my opinion, of course.

I miss Lost. I got sucked in and it was always a big "awww it's over already! have to wait a week!!" It made for great conversation and speculating what would happen next was great fun. As FortyTwo stated, definitely not for everyone!