Vegetarian Breakfast Ideas

I sometimes do this make-ahead oatmeal. http://www.thekitchn.com/oatmeal-in-jars-a-week-of-stee-143623
aty4unu9.jpg

Reactions: KLS52 and Dropkick
My Mom was raised eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast. She got tired of it. So by the time I came along the only hot porridge type breakfast I ever got was cream of rice. I like oatmeal, but if I have a choice I'll always pick cream of rice.
-You might also try grits (cornmeal porridge), a southern favorite (my 3rd porridge choice, but still good).

Cream of Rice

Makes approximately five servings (3/4 cup each)

Ingredients

1 cup of uncooked rice (I prefer to use brown)
4 1/2 cups liquid (water, milk or any non dairy milk)
3/4 tsp salt (optional)

Method

1. Grind rice coarsely in a blender, food processor or coffee grinder.
2. Heat liquid over medium hit to a slow boil.
3. Add rice and stir.
4. Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes, until thickened.
5. Serve with desired toppings. (I like brown sugar, raisins, and a splash of vanilla soy milk)

Reactions: thefadedone
Do you leave them on the counter all night like the recipe states? I didn't know mason jars were microwave safe. You put the whole jar in the microwave? I've never put glass in the microwave before.
Yes I put the jar in the microwave (no lid). I put the jars in the fridge overnight because it's usually pretty warm in the house. Our room temperature isn't standard... :D

Do you leave them on the counter all night like the recipe states? I didn't know mason jars were microwave safe. You put the whole jar in the microwave? I've never put glass in the microwave before.
Glass works fine in the microwave. It can get hot though, so be careful.
You do need to remove the lid as metal doesn't do well in the microwave (you might want to put a paper towel over the opening so you don't get oatmeal splatter inside of your microwave).

I haven't actually done this, but I'm a school trained cook (so I've had food safety classes) and I have a lot of experience with canning.

You should put the oatmeal while it's still very hot in very clean (or even better - sterilized jars) and then cap them. As it cools the jars should develop a vacuum and the lids should seal (even if you're using old seals - more on this later). This will keep out any bacteria or mold and the heat of the oatmeal will have killed any existing bacteria or mold spores in the oatmeal and also in the jar.

Oatmeal by it's self isn't actually a very good host for bacteria, and would quite likely be safe even if you didn't can it like I said above. But why take chances?

Lids: if you use new seals you can't use them again for canning purposes. However if you keep them specifically for the oatmeal you should be able to reuse them.

Yes I put the jar in the microwave (no lid). I put the jars in the fridge overnight because it's usually pretty warm in the house. Our room temperature isn't standard... :D

That's what I was thinking. Hot , humid Florida heat doesn't sound like the ideal environment for leaving food sitting out all night.

Glass works fine in the microwave. It can get hot though, so be careful.
You do need to remove the lid as metal doesn't do well in the microwave (you might want to put a paper towel over the opening so you don't get oatmeal splatter inside of your microwave).

I haven't actually done this, but I'm a school trained cook (so I've had food safety classes) and I have a lot of experience with canning.

You should put the oatmeal while it's still very hot in very clean (or even better - sterilized jars) and then cap them. As it cools the jars should develop a vacuum and the lids should seal (even if you're using old seals - more on this later). This will keep out any bacteria or mold and the heat of the oatmeal will have killed any existing bacteria or mold spores in the oatmeal and also in the jar.

Oatmeal by it's self isn't actually a very good host for bacteria, and would quite likely be safe even if you didn't can it like I said above. But why take chances?

Lids: if you use new seals you can't use them again for canning purposes. However if you keep them specifically for the oatmeal you should be able to reuse them.

I knew you had to remove the lid, but I assumed glass might shatter if heated at too high of a temperature.

I've never canned anything before. Thanks for the canning tips and information.