Vegetable Gardening

My sugar snap peas are just about done producing for the season and I am going to cut them down soon. The tallest plants are about 9-10 ft tall. My three.tomato plants already have more than seventy small green tomatoes and are taller than me!

My sugar snaps have only just sprouted, they're an inch or so tall.

BTW if that picture is of you on the 1st page... you look like you could be related to half of my mom's family.

My peas are about 1.5 ft tall and will probably start flowering soon. The potatoes are all coming up and I found out magenta spreen is just some sort of lambsquarters, but it's not ready to eat yet. The strawberries are starting to ripen and it's time to harvest greens all the time all of the sudden! :ack!:

My peas are about 1.5 ft tall and will probably start flowering soon. The potatoes are all coming up and I found out magenta spreen is just some sort of lambsquarters, but it's not ready to eat yet. The strawberries are starting to ripen and it's time to harvest greens all the time all of the sudden! :ack!:
We tried to grow strawberries in a pot but we havent really had much in the way of getting any flowers or fruit.

A rabbit or other small critter ate a bunch of my lettuce this morning so i just but up a bit of fencing. Luckily we don't particularly have deer in my neighborhood. The critters can't get to the lettuce I have in a big hanging pot, but it doesn't get as big as the plants in the ground.

I'm new to gardening. I was encouraged by a couple of zucchini that did well last year so this year I've added cucumbers, pumpkins and an upside down tomato plant.

Grr. I am coming to the realization that I don't have a veggie patch, I have a slate quarry. :bang:

What... does that mean? Lots of rocks?

My garden is going super well. I'm so excited about it all. We've been eating tons of greens and the peas are flowering and the soybeans are sprouting and the potatoes look awesome (but they usually do, potatoes have always been pretty easy here) and I'm just so happy. :starshower:

What... does that mean? Lots of rocks?

My garden is going super well. I'm so excited about it all. We've been eating tons of greens and the peas are flowering and the soybeans are sprouting and the potatoes look awesome (but they usually do, potatoes have always been pretty easy here) and I'm just so happy. :starshower:
Yeah, I think the section I have chosen to dig up must be where they piled all the slate they dug up to either lay the foundation of the house or dig the well. It's like trying to break up a flagstone patio that's been buried a foot deep. I am trying to look on the bright side though. It'll make a good stone wall for raised bed gardening.

You wanna see pictures of our garden? Yes? Great! Here you go!

Here it is!
There are tomatoes just visible at the front right, behind them not visible are ground cherries :) and there's a grape vine along the fence that actually has tons and tons of flower buds (that's never happened before). There's strawberries and asparagus and horseradish not pictured over there too. And sunchokes. It's a ******* jungle over there.
1 Snow peas are the tall things in front left, beans are the short things next to it.
2 Under the row cover in the next row is chard and beets, spinach next to that.
3 The row behind that is mostly soybeans for edamame and some cukes and zukes on the end, but those haven't come up yet (the beans are just sprouting).
4,5,6 Then potatoes, potatoes, potatoes.
7 Then a row with popcorn, basil, parsley, amaranth, salsify, scorzonera... :think: I think that's it. Nothing in that row is visible yet, but I have high hopes.
8 The tall things behind that on the left is garlic (these are gonna be ******* huge garlic bulbs, I just know it!) and walla walla sweet onions in the middle, then carrots, magenta spreen (like lambsquarter, if that helps any), claytonia (like miner's lettuce, if that helps any), mixed lettuce greens, escarole, mache (so good, but so little...) and some older lettuce that I thinned out so more like head lettuce.
9 under cover on the last row is mustards, baby bok choi, arugula, tatsoi, mizuna, broccolini, lacinato kale, green kale, and some napa cabbage that never formed a head.
Behind that is a blackberry bramble that is going to break our hearts but probably will produce crap-tons of blackberries this year.
Behind that is tomatoes up on the rise with all the stakes.
12garden.JPG

Snow peas! :D So many snow peas. :scared:
12peas.JPG

This is the first broccolini sprout. It's apparently a 'pick and come again' plant so it just keeps sending off florets. I'm hoping it works out better than the broccoli we've tried before.

12broccolini.JPG
This is the herb garden on one side of the front yard. Lavender in front, peppermint next to it to the left, lemon balm next to that. Chocolate mint in the pots, the big bush is a gooseberry. The very back crate is poppies and the other one is sorrell. The other side of the front yard is raspberries that are totally gonna produce this year finally.
12herbgarden.JPG

Okay so I can't really preview these but they look alright in the text box so I don't know what's the matter if it didn't work and maybe some mod can look at it if it didn't work? I asked it to put in thumbnails but in the preview it's got 'view attachment' and then it tells me I'm not allowed to view it... :(

I'm in a cold climate, so my garden pictures suck right now. (It's been about 35 days from the average last frost here).

But I'm doing pretty good in the space I have. Tomato plants have some green fruit on them. There's spinach, lettuce, and turnips growing underneath them. Kale looks strong. Beans look fine.

I'm in a cold climate, so my garden pictures suck right now. (It's been about 35 days from the average last frost here).

But I'm doing pretty good in the space I have. Tomato plants have some green fruit on them. There's spinach, lettuce, and turnips growing underneath them. Kale looks strong. Beans look fine.

What a coincidence, that's exactly how long it's been since the average last frost here. :) I usually just measure by 'when the ground can be worked' for hardy things and the safe date (June 18th here according to what I found) for the not hardy things.

I start everything but tomatoes from seed for lack of a greenhouse, so it does seem slow sometimes comparing my garden to gardens of friends who have all starts. :sigh:

Same boat, huh?

What really sucks is comparing my garden to people online whose frost-free days started in April.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
I have lots of herbs on the go that are growing wonderfully.

And some pumpkins, marrows and tomatoes. They will turn out well :D

Wow kazyeeqen, nice, nice garden. I'll post pics later of my various patches as the garden is finally coming along. We don't have a lot of frost free days for a growing season here, IIRC 99 is the average, the bigger problem is it gets very cool most nights (in the 40s) for most of the growing season which kinda puts a damper on a lot of crops but it's nice for sleeping with the windows open.