Veganuary survey: What food do you want to be veganized?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The Veganuary weekly email newsletter had a little blurb about it. Mars Bars came in first. Cottage cheese came in last.

I looked for the survey and its results but I can't find it.

But I thought it was interesting. Arent' there vegan Mars Bars already? (I thought Amy's made one). And it never occurred to me before but I think vegan cottage cheese could be pretty nice to have with my cantaloupe.

Anyway, what is the one product you want to buy that could be veganized?

Poached eggs, which I believe is currently impossible. I think it may require growing lab eggs the way they grow lab meat.

Vegan eggs only replicate scrambled eggs or omelettes so have a different taste and texture.

It is the one comfort food from my childhood that I can't replicate or replace.

IMO, there still aren't any really adequate vegan cheeses, other than cream cheese.

Mars Bars were always inedible as far as I'm concerned. Awful stuff.

I know I am being cheeky here, but it must be said:

Dog tenderloin (V)
Dog burger (V)
'Meoeal' Cat veal (V)
Cat legs (V)

Sell them everywhere in the meat aisle, promote them as being "Now you can eat your best friend without the guilt!"

*Looks to see if the state of cognitive dissonance in humans changes*

The Veganuary weekly email newsletter had a little blurb about it. Mars Bars came in first. Cottage cheese came in last.

I looked for the survey and its results but I can't find it.

But I thought it was interesting. Arent' there vegan Mars Bars already? (I thought Amy's made one). And it never occurred to me before but I think vegan cottage cheese could be pretty nice to have with my cantaloupe.

Anyway, what is the one product you want to buy that could be veganized?

I think that the UK Mars bar is different to the US one. Don't you call it a almond snicker bar ? :)

Hobnobs are vegan and it's the chocolate version that isn't. I'm certain that it could easily be made vegan by substituing the dairy for plant based milk. However, it would make the product more expensive.

I also wish that the Cadbury's milk chocolate (voted as the UK's most favourite chocolate bar) and their Caramel bar could be vegan.:grinning:

M&S have recently introduced a vegan range of sweets/candies and they taste great. It just shows that it's quite easy to do when
there is a demand made by consumers.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Brunost - a brown hard cheese made from goat and/or cow milk.
Svele - a thick pancake served with e.g. butter and white sugar or brunost. (I also wish they could make the sugar more healthy while they're at it!)

Reactions: Lou
Poached eggs, which I believe is currently impossible. I think it may require growing lab eggs the way they grow lab meat.

Vegan eggs only replicate scrambled eggs or omelettes so have a different taste and texture.

It is the one comfort food from my childhood that I can't replicate or replace.

There are a number of YouTubers and bloggers out there that have made them and say that they are excellent. I have not tried them myself as I don't really miss them that much. If you try any, please let us know what you think.

I googled "vegan poached eggs".

Emma JC

Reactions: Forest Nymph
The one item that my honey has a hard time giving up is ..... anchovies. Crazy huh? He loved them on his pasta and would eat a few, straight from the can, before they made it to his plate. He would even dab all the oil off them first so I think it is the intense saltiness that is the attraction as opposed to the oils.

Any fake anchovies out there? OMG I just googled it and it seems there might be some options, I'll have to try it.

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
The one item that my honey has a hard time giving up is ..... anchovies. Crazy huh? He loved them on his pasta and would eat a few, straight from the can, before they made it to his plate. He would even dab all the oil off them first so I think it is the intense saltiness that is the attraction as opposed to the oils.

Any fake anchovies out there? OMG I just googled it and it seems there might be some options, I'll have to try it.

Emma JC

I hate them.

:laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
I hate them.

:laughing:

yes, many people do

The one recipe I just read substituted in ground up seaweed plus tamari to get the same flavor in a Puttanesca recipe. They also put in 3 tablespoons of capers which we also love but usually only put in 1 tablespoon or so. So maybe upping the number of capers would help also.

Emma JC

yes, many people do

The one recipe I just read substituted in ground up seaweed plus tamari to get the same flavor in a Puttanesca recipe. They also put in 3 tablespoons of capers which we also love but usually only put in 1 tablespoon or so. So maybe upping the number of capers would help also.

Emma JC

Hate them too. :laughing:

• Wow
yes, many people do

Emma JC

Yes, I use capers or olives in recipes where I miss the intense saltiness and tang of cheese.

I don't think there's any current substitute for artisanal cheeses, like an aged Stilton, on their own though.

Yes, I use capers or olives in recipes where I miss the intense saltiness and tang of cheese.

I don't think there's any current substitute for artisanal cheeses, like an aged Stilton, on their own though.

yeah, there's lots of recipes for blue cheese but nothing for Stilton

I use often olive and caper brine for sauting, in place of oil, and I love the flavour it adds to onions and garlic and the resulting stir fry or bean mix.

Emma JC

yeah, there's lots of recipes for blue cheese but nothing for Stilton

I use often olive and caper brine for sauting, in place of oil, and I love the flavour it adds to onions and garlic and the resulting stir fry or bean mix.

Emma JC
I use the brine for some pasta dishes and grain based salads, but I've never thought of using it for sauteing. Thanks for the idea!

• Friendly

I think that the UK Mars bar is different to the US one. Don't you call it a almond snicker bar ? :)

Hobnobs are vegan and it's the chocolate version that isn't. I'm certain that it could easily be made vegan by substituing the dairy for plant based milk. However, it would make the product more expensive.

I also wish that the Cadbury's milk chocolate (voted as the UK's most favourite chocolate bar) and their Caramel bar could be vegan.:grinning:

M&S have recently introduced a vegan range of sweets/candies and they taste great. It just shows that it's quite easy to do when
there is a demand made by consumers.

Totally agree on the Cadbury milk chocolate and Caramel bar. That's about the only milk chocolate I miss.

Totally agree on the Cadbury milk chocolate and Caramel bar. That's about the only milk chocolate I miss.

:) Cadbury's Caramel is my favourite bar of chocolate. It could easily be plant based.

They would only have to omit the whey powder and add plant based protein.

l honestly cant think of anything, though I do find myself summertime's looking at all the chocolate choices in the checkout aisle and feel a tad sad that none of them are vegan (or that they recently just shrunk the Bark Thins package whilst keeping the same high price).

@Mischeif - Have your tried Violife mozzarella slices? They are excellent. The only fake cheese I'll eat outside of kite hill cream cheese.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
l honestly cant think of anything, though I do find myself summertime's looking at all the chocolate choices in the checkout aisle and feel a tad sad that none of them are vegan (or that they recently just shrunk the Bark Thins package whilst keeping the same high price).

@Mischeif - Have your tried Violife mozzarella slices? They are excellent. The only fake cheese I'll eat outside of kite hill cream cheese.

Ahh. I just realized that i lost my addiction to chocolate. I used to have at least one chocolate bar at lunch every day. I don't think becoming vegan had anything to do with it. Because I used to be really good at finding vegan chocolate.

The upscale grocery store I go to about once a week has next to the checkout a candy display. A whole row is Endangered Species. I would try to resist them. but those sad litlle animals would call out to me. I also did the research to find ethical vegan chocolate for my hot chocolate. But now I can't remember when I last bought a chocolate bar or had a hot chocolate. Well, i probably had some hot chocolate last winter. but I have a chocolate bar in the frig that has been opened and it is starting to turn grey.

I guess things like Hershey's chocolate bars are so cheap it would be nice if there was cheaper vegan chocolate. I think Endangered Species are at most grocery stores. and there are even more choices online that can be shipped.

Ahh. I just realized that i lost my addiction to chocolate. I used to have at least one chocolate bar at lunch every day. I don't think becoming vegan had anything to do with it. Because I used to be really good at finding vegan chocolate.

The upscale grocery store I go to about once a week has next to the checkout a candy display. A whole row is Endangered Species. I would try to resist them. but those sad litlle animals would call out to me. I also did the research to find ethical vegan chocolate for my hot chocolate. But now I can't remember when I last bought a chocolate bar or had a hot chocolate. Well, i probably had some hot chocolate last winter. but I have a chocolate bar in the frig that has been opened and it is starting to turn grey.

I guess things like Hershey's chocolate bars are so cheap it would be nice if there was cheaper vegan chocolate. I think Endangered Species are at most grocery stores. and there are even more choices online that can be shipped.
The funny thing is, I never was a huge fan of chocolate. I would pick up a Snickers bar maybe once a year. My junk food addiction was sugar. Just the pure sugar stuff - Sweet Tarts, Jolly Ranchers, Red Vines. I was just talking with my son last night how since I quit that stuff, I no longer crave it. I do eat plenty of dates to make up for it, though. ;)

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I
The funny thing is, I never was a huge fan of chocolate. I would pick up a Snickers bar maybe once a year. My junk food addiction was sugar. Just the pure sugar stuff - Sweet Tarts, Jolly Ranchers, Red Vines. I was just talking with my son last night how since I quit that stuff, I no longer crave it. I do eat plenty of dates to make up for it, though. ;)

I have friends like that. but my family all are (were) chocoholics. I think chocolate is similar in some ways to coffee or opium.

Reactions: TofuRobot