Veganuary survey: What food do you want to be veganized?

Lemon curd. Quiche and eggs-poached,fried or scrambled.

None of the substitute recipes taste like the real thing. I have looked up many of the poached egg recipes and the ingredients( potatoes, pumpkin, agar agar, sulphur like salt) that are used
can't possibly taste anything like an egg. In my opinion eggs do not taste like sulphur. :confused:

Reactions: Lou
These Amy’s bars are amazing. I have some on my wish list for Christmas. My kids will get me some, haha.

I have had some pretty tasty vegan lemon curd. But I can’t find my recipes. So much of my stuff is boxed up for the house showings. ☹️
During this long spell of not feeling well, I tried to talk myself into eating eggs again but somehow the thought of it turns my stomach now. So weird because I absolutely loved eggs.

Lemon curd. Quiche and eggs-poached,fried or scrambled.

None of the substitute recipes taste like the real thing. I have looked up many of the poached egg recipes and the ingredients( potatoes, pumpkin, agar agar, sulphur like salt) that are used
can't possibly taste anything like an egg. In my opinion eggs do not taste like sulphur. :confused:

Vegan Quiche would be something.

There are lots of great recipes for vegan pavlova, just google it and you will be amazed. I love pavlova but the amount of work involved to make meant that I never did so even when I wasn't vegan.

If you make some, be sure to let us know and take pics. lol

Emma JC

Reactions: HappyRoxy
There are lots of great recipes for vegan pavlova, just google it and you will be amazed. I love pavlova but the amount of work involved to make meant that I never did so even when I wasn't vegan.

If you make some, be sure to let us know and take pics. lol

Emma JC

It would be interesting to get someone's feedback on the comparaison of both pavlovas ; made with egg whites v aquafaba.;)

Reactions: KLS52
I made merengue with aquafaba twice...once with chickpea water and the other with small white bean water. Both whipped up beautifully, with the white bean whipping a little quicker. The chickpea had a more of a beany taste than the white bean. Both failed in the baking test and deflated. So I pretty much quit after that. I would like to try aquafaba as an ingredient in other recipes though. Perhaps one day. :)

I made merengue with aquafaba twice...once with chickpea water and the other with small white bean water. Both whipped up beautifully, with the white bean whipping a little quicker. The chickpea had a more of a beany taste than the white bean. Both failed in the baking test and deflated. So I pretty much quit after that. I would like to try aquafaba as an ingredient in other recipes though. Perhaps one day. :)

That rings a bell and also what I would have also thought. However, some reviews on cooking sites say that the results were great ! So, it looks like the information is conflicting. ;)
I have made many pavlovas (using egg whites) before I became a veg*an. but couldn't be bothered to experiment using aquavaba because I'm nearly sure that the end result wouldn't be great.:rolleyes:

There’s a FB page and people are getting amazing results. I’m sure it’s me. I might try again at some point...maybe once I’m retired and have some time on my hands. Right now I’m too tired to try something I’ve failed twice at, lol. :)

There’s a FB page and people are getting amazing results. I’m sure it’s me. I might try again at some point...maybe once I’m retired and have some time on my hands. Right now I’m too tired to try something I’ve failed twice at, lol. :)

I don't think it's only you as I've read negative feedback on BBC Good Food. :) Have you ever made a pavlova using egg whites before you become a veg*an ?

I don't think it's only you as I've read negative feedback on BBC Good Food. :) Have you ever made a pavlova using egg whites before you become a veg*an ?
Not familiar with pavlova but I did google it. The only egg white merengue I made was for pie. I like soft merengue, not the crunchy kind. And I think I’ve been spelling meringue wrong...more like the dance, merengue, lol.

Not familiar with pavlova but I did google it. The only egg white merengue I made was for pie. I like soft merengue, not the crunchy kind. And I think I’ve been spelling meringue wrong...more like the dance, merengue, lol.

I didn't notice ! ;)

So meringue in a pavlova, is quite different to a meringue that is a pie topping.:) That latter being both crisp, chewy and soft in the middle.

The one item that my honey has a hard time giving up is ..... anchovies. Crazy huh?

Not crazy at all! I was just pondering that very subject yesterday, how nice it would be to have vegan anchovies to put on my pizza and into my pasta. I used capers (the big berries, not the smallish things) instead...

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC
Not crazy at all! I was just pondering that very subject yesterday, how nice it would be to have vegan anchovies to put on my pizza and into my pasta. I used capers (the big berries, not the smallish things) instead...

wow, that is so cool, I had not heard of caper berries before and it appears that my local grocer may actually carry them

you can bet I will be checking it out today, he will be thrilled as we already love capers so caper berries will be amazing

thank you! Emma JC

Reactions: Andy_T
That rings a bell and also what I would have also thought. However, some reviews on cooking sites say that the results were great ! So, it looks like the information is conflicting. ;)
I have made many pavlovas (using egg whites) before I became a veg*an. but couldn't be bothered to experiment using aquavaba because I'm nearly sure that the end result wouldn't be great.:rolleyes:

Please do try it as I would love to know your results. Even if I never make it myself it would make me so happy to know you did and enjoyed it. 🤪

Emma JC

Please do try it as I would love to know your results. Even if I never make it myself it would make me so happy to know you did and enjoyed it. 🤪

Emma JC

I don't make recipes with sugar and that's one thing that you can't omit when making pavlova. :grinning: I was only being curious to know whether the end result is just as good when using egg whites. :grinning: