Vegan mother producing milk topic

mrvegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My wife (we’re both vegans of 3 years now) is breastfeeding our two month old son and she at times has issues producing milk. Not so often but sometimes. From what i’ve read this can be very normal for all women whether they are vegan or not. But some of our family is really giving us (her) a difficult time saying this isn’t right (being vegan as a new mother) and this is the reason she isn’t always producing milk properly AND that if she at least would eat eggs, milk and cheese… ALL will be miraculously cured. Hmmm. Thoughts on this?? We personally know 2 other mothers (who aren’t vegan and eat everything) that even had issues producing milk at times.

You definitely have it right.... it is nothing to do with being vegan.

There are lots of tips online about how to stimulate breast milk for moms.

This article was particularily interesting from WebMD - be sure to scroll through all the pages as they have lots of tips and foods that may help and none of the foods are from animals.

Wishing your wife all the best and congrats for breast feeding as it is so good for the babe.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

You definitely have it right.... it is nothing to do with being vegan.

There are lots of tips online about how to stimulate breast milk for moms.

This article was particularily interesting from WebMD - be sure to scroll through all the pages as they have lots of tips and foods that may help and none of the foods are from animals.

Wishing your wife all the best and congrats for breast feeding as it is so good for the babe.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Thank you! Hmm. That article seems to be empty

My wife (we’re both vegans of 3 years now) is breastfeeding our two month old son and she at times has issues producing milk. Not so often but sometimes. From what i’ve read this can be very normal for all women whether they are vegan or not. But some of our family is really giving us (her) a difficult time saying this isn’t right (being vegan as a new mother) and this is the reason she isn’t always producing milk properly AND that if she at least would eat eggs, milk and cheese… ALL will be miraculously cured. Hmmm. Thoughts on this?? We personally know 2 other mothers (who aren’t vegan and eat everything) that even had issues producing milk at times.
This should be resolved by not discussing it with them.
Blaming a problem that many many people, of all kinds, on lack of animal products is not going to give her any comfort, or advice

I had major problems with milk, and stopped with both my sons. I was not vegetarian during or after the pregnancy, so I have nothing personal to add

This is a site I see often referenced.

I've long heard oats are good. I was also told to have some beer spaced out at some point before feeding, from the omni crowd, so take that as you will!

Definitely nothing to do with being vegan - I am vegan and have never had issues producing milk!

There are foods that can apparently boost production such as oats, however its most important to ensure your wife is getting enough calories and staying hydrated. Very important to drink enough while breastfeeding! Having a new baby is obviously very time consuming so sometimes new mums can forget or not have enough time to eat/drink properly. :)

What is the reason for thinking she's not producing enough milk? She will/should produce exactly what's needed....if baby seems to be sucking a lot and getting nothing or constantly wants milk, this is normal and telling her body to produce more as baby gets bigger and has higher calorific needs. Within a few days, her body will get the message and up production.

Good luck!

I breastfed all three of mine as an omni…huge dairy consumer at the time…and had an awful time of it and sadly gave up on it early each time. Considering that my youngest is now 40…😮…when did that happen?!?!…I didn’t have the resources back then to help me.

I agree with what the previous posters have said. Good advice. I hope it gets better!

Reactions: mrvegan and Emma JC