Vegan Meringue

I joined a group on FB...meringue hits and misses.

What is Aqua faba? I tried googling and came up empty. I get that Aqua is water... Is it simply bean water?

I would imagine that it means broad bean water and faba is a typo as the v & b keys are next to each other.

Reactions: ledboots
It sounds Spanish. I'm guessing either it's bean water, or the water from a particular line of beans. Faba sounds like fava ...
I thought that, too. So I tried to translate and didn't have success with that, either.

I'm having such a hard time believing this is bean water! Looks amazing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428190495.191573.jpg

This is chickpea. Not crazy about the taste. Not sure I want to put it on the lemon pie. I'm going to make a batch with the northern beans and compare. Then I'll decide which to use on the pie.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Northern bean meringue tastes better but harder to get it to form soft peaks. I got it pretty close but it totally flattened in the oven. :( If it tastes good, I won't mind.

Northern bean meringue tastes better but harder to get it to form soft peaks. I got it pretty close but it totally flattened in the oven. :( If it tastes good, I won't mind.

I can't wait to hear what you think about the end result.;)

It's interesting...all of this and the lemon is what I don't like...it's too gelled...needs to be softer/creamier. I'm going to do it again, though. If I can get the meringue right using the northern beans it will be a good thing.

Warning, photo not pretty, lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428230909.777188.jpg

It's interesting...all of this and the lemon is what I don't like...it's too gelled...needs to be softer/creamier. I'm going to do it again, though. If I can get the meringue right using the northern beans it will be a good thing.

Warning, photo not pretty, lol
View attachment 6702

That is strange as there is no gelling agent in the recipe. Did you use cornflour for the mixture ?

Those are gorgeous pies. Faba is latin for bean and a play on the word fabulous and fabacea (legume family). No farts in chickpea water!

Turns out I didn't bake the pie long enough so the meringue didn't set. Going to try it again today. :)

Turns out I didn't bake the pie long enough so the meringue didn't set. Going to try it again today. :)

Let us know about the end results. I'm not a huge fan of meringues so don't miss out. On the other hand I'm a very huge fan of lemon tart made with egg yolks…….:(