Vegan Creamy hummus recipe

ledboots

Peace
Reaction score
This is the best hummus recipe that I have tried. :) I don't have a food processor, so I used the Magic Bullet.

HOMEMADE HUMMUS
2 garlic cloves
2 cups of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (save the liquid)
3 T cup of tahini paste, available by the jar
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Up to 1/4 cup water drained from chickpeas (to desired consistency)
3 T olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of salt
Handful of cilantro (optional) [LB says no]
1 deseeded jalepeño pepper (optional) [yes]
For creamy hummus, separate the outside layer from the beans and discard it.
In a food processor, combine the garlic, garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, water, cilantro and olive oil. Process until smooth. Add salt, starting at a half a teaspoon, to taste. Makes about 1.5 cups. http://granoladox.com/2013/02/28/the-creamiest-hummus/

Ooh, hummus! One of my favorites! I love it with cilantro. I spread it on whole wheat toast or crackers with sliced avocado and hot sauce sprinkled on top. Best breakfast ever.

Reactions: KLS52
I might try making this with garbanzo beans I cook myself without salt. I'm not on a sodium-restricted diet, but I feel better if I don't consume too much of it... and I eat hummus in large quantities unless I hold myself back.

Question: how much tahini paste does the recipe call for? 3 tablespoons?

I'm trying to learn to like cilantro, but I don't know if I could bring myself to possibly ruin a whole batch of hummus. Maybe I'll add cilantro to just a few tablespoons' worth of hummus as an experiment. I could also look at it the other way: using hummus to make cilantro taste good!

I'm trying to learn to like cilantro, but I don't know if I could bring myself to possibly ruin a whole batch of hummus. Maybe I'll add cilantro to just a few tablespoons' worth of hummus as an experiment. I could also look at it the other way: using hummus to make cilantro taste good!
No!!!! Don't do it!
*has an immense dislike for cilantro*

I like cilantro in very small doses, but not in hummus. I like it in salsa and some Indian dishes.
The hummus recipe above is similar to Veganomicon's recipe (minus the cilantro and jalapeno). I add a dash of cumin and sea salt to the recipe. I love it.

I might try making this with garbanzo beans I cook myself without salt. I'm not on a sodium-restricted diet, but I feel better if I don't consume too much of it... and I eat hummus in large quantities unless I hold myself back.

Question: how much tahini paste does the recipe call for? 3 tablespoons?

I didn't write the recipe, but from my experience I think it must be 3 tablespoons. You definitely shouldn't be using cups.

I never try to convince people about cilantro. I've heard it's a genetic thing...either you're born liking it or it tastes like soap to you...and who wants to try to like the taste of soap?

Reactions: KLS52
I find you can leave out the tahini without negative effects on the overall quality of the hummus.
(I found that out empirically, as I was simply too lazy to go hunting for tahini, and made it a few times without. Come to think of it, I have made such hummus quite a few times, and never added any tahini)

I like to experiment with this as a base, by adding e.g. sundried tomatoes, pickles or similar to a part of my total hummus production, thus creating different dips for all possible occasions.

And yes, it's much easier if you have a vitamix (although then you might have to increase the portion size).
Also, I have never bothered to remove the skin from the chickpeas, the final result was creamy enough for my taste by adding enough olive oil and blending it thoroughly enough (which is quite easy in the vitamix). It was basically exactly the same consistency as store-bought hummus (don't know if there is a more creamy variety)

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited: