Vegan grocery options in the UK

clutzyninja

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am currently in the Bury St Edmunds area in East Anglia, and I'm looking for more veggie/vegan options when I go grocery shopping. Sainsburys has an ok produce section, but practically nothing in the way of tofu, tempe, seitan, tofukey, etc. Does anyone know of any places where I might have more luck?

Most supermarkets these days should have substitute meats, maybe in a different section? Holland & Barrett will certainly have them - most stores these days have a fridge at the back.

Take a look at what you can find on the Happy Cow website.

Unfortunately I've been through every inch of my local Sainsburys and I don't think they even carry tofu much less any other typical vegan staples. THat site is neat, but does't show anything other than restaurants and shops in my area :/

I take that back, there is HOlland and Barret in Bury that I missed. I'll have to check that out. It's not practical for my weekly shopping trip, but maybe a once a month visit will do.

Yeah definitely go for tesco or waitrose! Waitrose is good for a lot of things and also has mince/tofu - the brand of mince is called "meat the alternative." Tesco will have a lot of stuff look in particular for a tesco extra.

ASDA have vegan stuff, I tried Violife cream and Violife cheese. They were fine.