vegan/GF camping food

yumy

vegan
Reaction score
hey :) I know I don't post often but I hope people will still help me out. Been vegetarian for 13 years and vegan for 5. I guess the longer I do the veg*n thing the more I have figured out and I stray from message boards...

So I'm planning a camping trip w/ a gal who is a type I diabetic and she's pretty strict with her diet (which I can appreciate how she recognizes the importance of a good diet!). She doesn't eat any refined carbs/sugars or corn/potatoes/oats or several fruits (high glycemic index), and she's also gluten-free. So veggies, quinoa, brown rice are pretty fair game, past that it gets hard to plan meals together since I'm a vegan obviously.

Any ideas for camping food? We will just be car camping, so we will have a cooler. So far I was thinking of just roasting some veggies one night and possibly packing a cold quinoa/veggie salad. Other ideas? Has anyone roasted apples over a campfire before?

I suppose you could use beans or lentils or chickpeas or tofu and other soya products as well. I think that would make your meals a bit more filling.

I was going to suggest some cans of refried beans for no particular reason other than that it sounded like a nice camping food to me. Might go well with the quinoa and stir-fried veggies.

Apples are delicious hot. I have cooked them on a bbq grill wrapped in foil. My mom used to cut apples in half and bake them, filling the cored holes with raisins (no raisins for the gf, I am guessing).

Nuts and seeds are easy to bring. Veggies like broccoli and cauliflower as well as root veggies and some cabbages might travel ok. I'm not a frequent camper to say the least. :D

any good ideas for how to cook tofu over a fire?
I suppose either marinated and broiled on a stick together with veggies, or if possible, on a frying pan. I don't have a lot of experience with cooking on a camping trip, but I'm guessing it might be easier to cook with a frying pan if you use a bunsen burner (gas burner) than an open fire. If you use an open fire, then maybe you should bring something like a grill grate with "feet" on it. (Apologies, my camping vocabulary isn't so well developed.)