• 1940s - WWII

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So when I searched this topic, I found nothing except for ads for vegan-specific companies or things related to cooking or food. I think it would be interesting to find the clothing or fashion style of vegans via a poll. I would also to point out, that vintage shopping counts as "vegan" because no new animals will ever be killed for something that was created from the 1890s through the 1990s. Of course you can purchase items made from non-animal products during that time, but even old leather will never kill another cow. I thought this would be fun because when I'm on You Tube I mostly see vegans who de-emphasize style (Mic the Vegan in his button down blue shirts and generic hipster beard, which is admittedly is still style, or Unnatural Vegan in her horn-rimmed glasses and low-neck tees, which again is admittedly style but so incredibly subtly) ...or I see people who heavily emphasize style who de-emphasize being vegan (I think Ready to Glare is a fashionista horror vegan who never talks about veganism directly but occasionally promotes plant-based products). We just rarely see the two mixed up, though on the whole, vegans are very smart, stylish people!

Things I like:

Bananarama 1984 hair (except brunette or red instead of blonde, I just like the layered hair and bangs) -

1983.jpg

rs-168584-Bananarama.jpg

Long Early 20th century ribboned, lacy skirts:

Ribbon skirt.jpg

I have a shorter, ribbony version of such a skirt that I always get compliments on. I wear it with black striped Moulin Rouge tights.

I like wearing striped Victorian tights, or ribbed black tights that suggest the late 1800s through mid-20th century with a green plaid skirts.

The "Is it 1950s? Is it early 90s?" David Lynch look appeals to me, whether it's sleek Audrey or slouchy Laura and Donna.

Audrey.jpgLauraDonna.jpg

I also do the Millennial thing where I wear a bigger cute or ironic tee shirt over a tight long-sleeved undershirt, all over tight yoga pants and cute little Mary Jane shoes or slip-on Vans. I don't have a photo of this, but I don't think in 2020 it's required to visualize this. It's the 21st century of the 20th century jeans and tennis shoes.

chineseshoes.jpg

I could expand greatly on this because I really like art and decoration. I sometimes wear nothing but ugly sweat pants, with a animal lib sweatshirt and pony tail, so I'm not claiming I'm always stylish (far from it, far far from it!!!) But even in my house I utilize a lot of vintage or vintage-replica pieces. I like dance-school mirrors, space heaters that look like old-fashioned log fire places, anything at all that suggests the 1880s through 1930s, green plants that scream the 70s, and Maneki-Neko in various shapes and colors dominate my house. I would say that the overall style of the 1930s (including Victorian/Edwardian grandmothers, haunted houses, the excess of the 20s, Chinese and Japanese crazes, and the legit American 30s - which you'll see dominates the 1930s if you see any rich person's magazine from that era) decorates my living space, and the late 80s-early 90s goth revival dominates my clothing. I like the Victorian era in the way Anne Rice fans like the Victorian era, even though I don't like Anne Rice.

I also want to add that I was going to include the 1950s through the 1990s to this poll and somehow couldn't, so if that's you, just elaborate through comments and photos.

Fun fact: I have a small photo in a frame of a man from sometime in the late 1800s or early 1900s that I bought in an antique store that I can claim hilariously is my dead husband from a shipwreck or war.