Vegan Brownies!

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Whilst everyone else seems to be stuffing their faces with Easter eggs I felt a little left out as it’s my first Easter without Easter eggs as I’m sure you already know that most if not all Easter eggs are made with cows milk which means they are not vegan so I randomly thought to myself “how easy is it to make brownies?” it turns out it’s stupidly easy to make vegan brownies so here goes, below is my little guide to making your own brownies.

Ingredients
  • 250g plain flour
  • 350g demerara sugar
  • 250ml water
  • 250ml vegetable oil, I used sunflower
  • 65g cocoa powder
  • [1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

mCOZSuU.jpg

Equipment
  • mixing bowl
  • scales
  • measuring jug
  • teaspoon
  • baking tray
  • something to mix with

dERQJqz.jpg

Alright, once you’ve checked the list above and you have everything lets get started.
First thing is to turn your oven on and set the temperature to 180’c. Okay now measure all your solids then throw them in your mixing bowl so that’s your flour, sugar, coca powder, baking powder and salt add the fluids after there’s no real reason why I’ve chosen this method it just works for me you can check everything off the list individually if you like it doesn’t really matter, once you’ve added the fluids mix everything together to you have something that looks similar to the photo below….

98BzHKZ.jpg

Once you have something similar to my mix you just need to pour the mixture in to your baking tray and place in the center of your oven wait 25-30 minutes the longer you leave them to cook the harder they’ll get don’t leave them for too long otherwise they’ll burn so keep an eye out, once you believe they’ve finished cooking the top should have a matte kind of finish if it’s glossy they still need cooking so throw them back in the oven for a little longer but remember to keep an eye on them.
Finally! Once you’ve taken them out of the oven leave your brownies to cool down for about 10 minutes cutting them, they should look similar to mine.

4rwdhVw.jpg

Well done! They do look good. I've done something similar, but I left them in the oven too long and they went a bit hard, not burnt but a bit tough as the oven was off, but the heat over baked them! Lesson learned, take them out when ready. Great with a cup of hot chocolate or coffee.

Haha thank you! :D

Yeah... These are actually second batch in the photos above because I left the first batch in too long whoops...

They did taste awesome! But the amount of sugar I had to use was insane maybe I'll look for another recipe that doesn't need a crazy amount of sugar.

If you haven't already, you should look up a recipie for beet root brownies, I think they're vegan, or you could make a vegan verson for sure. I know it sounds weird, but they must be the best chocolate brownies I've ever eaten! Something about the beet root keeps them ridiculously moist, and you can't really taste it either, as it's one of the sweetest root vegtables, think of it like carrots in carrot cake I guess :)

Hey, I never used demerara sugar. If I put brown one instead should I use the same amount?

Luckily now there is a lot more choice. I have already noticed Choices easter egg available at Sainsbury's online groceries, which was what i bought last year for my first Easter as a vegan. I think No moo do one too.

Thanks for the recipe! Tried it tonight, it`s amazing) I just bake it not in the oven, but in multi kitchen (https://multicooker.com/uk/catalog/multikitchen/). Very tasty, my friends ate this brownie so quickly that I barely had time to grab a piece for myself) Many nuances, but I'm happy. To be honest, I`m really have a sweet tooth)

Last edited: