Vegan Baking

Baking1289

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Pescetarian
Hi, im trying out vegan cupcakes. Im confident with my vegan sponge but not so much the ‘buttercream’. Anyone bake vegan cupcakes regularly and has advice of which UK brand of vegan spread tastes best in vegan buttercream I’m get to find one that is tasty.
Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I'm not a fan of cupcakes but do occasionally make a sponge cake with plant based butter cream minus all the sugar.

Flora (either original of buttery) will give good results. I would recommend you to use 1/2 Flora and 1/2 Stork margerine to obtain
the best result as the latter will give you a denser texture.

Oh thanks I wasn’t even aware the was a vegan stork!! Thanks I’ll get practicing today!

• Friendly
Thanks I’ll have a look in Asda today, is it a separate kind? I know the tubs have buttermilk in. But I think there’s a wrapped version too? 🤔

I think it's the wrapped version. Just check the ingredients before buying.

I'd love to see your pix as cupcakes always look so inviting.

View attachment 22580

Thanks I’ll have a look in Asda today, is it a separate kind? I know the tubs have buttermilk in. But I think there’s a wrapped version too? 🤔

You can also use Trex for baking. It makes very light and crispy pastry. You can also use it (50 %) for making buttercream.

So attempt 1 has gone well. I’d like the buttercream to be a bit smoother but I’ll keep working on it.
Couldn’t find stork vegan so used flora buttery which says 100% plant based. Will try one after dinner and come back with taste test!

1601918368993.png

Attachments

• D093F0C2-8ECB-4D2F-8732-4FC4A95C7CBA.jpeg
    D093F0C2-8ECB-4D2F-8732-4FC4A95C7CBA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: KLS52
Did you use an electric whisk? I'm amazed as Flora has a very light and smooth texture.
I did use an electric whisk, it just kind of moved round the bowl in one clump though. Not like regular buttercream. Not sure if I should add some vegan milk maybe 🤔 it seemed very rubbery in texture. But like I said I haven’t tasted them yet!!

I did use an electric whisk, it just kind of moved round the bowl in one clump though. Not like regular buttercream. Not sure if I should add some vegan milk maybe 🤔 it seemed very rubbery in texture. But like I said I haven’t tasted them yet!!

You have to whisk the mixture for quite a long time before it becomes a bit smooth. That is due to the high sugar content. You could have added a few drops of pb milk.

Reactions: Baking1289
@Baking1289; So what's the verdict ? :)
Delicious. Everyone thought so. All my non vegan family and children etc couldn’t tell. Still going to work on getting the buttercream lighter but they were really lovely! Thank you for your help. Making them again tomorrow 👌🏻

Delicious. Everyone thought so. All my non vegan family and children etc couldn’t tell. Still going to work on getting the buttercream lighter but they were really lovely! Thank you for your help. Making them again tomorrow 👌🏻

Great. Just beat the cream until it is light and fluffy. Make sure that the fat is at room temperature before you start whisking.

Great. Just beat the cream until it is light and fluffy. Make sure that the fat is at room temperature before you start whisking.
The second attempt was perfect and “buttercream” was lovely light and yummy!! 😁

• Love
Well I’ve now got a go to chocolate cake recipe. So will try out some other flavours now or maybe bigger cakes 👌🏻😆

• Informative