Variations of seitan...

DGordon

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi all,

I've been experimenting with Seitan recently but I'm struggling to match the type of Seitan I've eaten out in restaurants and food stalls.

The logs I've made have all been very tough and lacking in much flavour (unless frying in sauces post cooking).

I'm looking for a spongier log with a more meat-like texture. Does anyone have any insights that they think will help?

Worth mentioning that I am a gym-goer and play rugby so want to keep the protein content high with my overall goal being to replace the chicken/beef in my meat0heavy diet with seitan.

Cheers,
Duncan

I've been trying to get my seitan loaf perfect since I've been making it. Adding more liquid to it if just baking helps keep it moister and less though. I also bake at 350. Also boiling then baking helps keep it moister and less though. I do that when I make seitan steak.

I've been trying to get my seitan loaf perfect since I've been making it. Adding more liquid to it if just baking helps keep it moister and less though. I also bake at 350. Also boiling then baking helps keep it moister and less though. I do that when I make seitan steak.

I never thought to try boiling and then baking, that's interesting. Do you get much flavour from the loaf just in itself or do you rely on what you cook it in (boiling broth or baking/frying sauce) to give it flavour?

I have not cooked with seitan so am no expert - I have watched a number of avantegardevegan videos and he is a chef and uses seitan quite a bit. He says that one of the keys to a good seitan result is the kneading of it. There is a lot of punching and kneading in his videos. :scream:

Emma JC

I've been playing around with seitan recipes for a while now. I have made some excellent tasting seitan, if I don't mind saying so. Please excuse me barking up my own tree :D

What I suggest, which is what I started doing is making it in half batches. So cut your recipe in half, when experimenting. Often I will make two different kinds at a time, if I am experimenting. Just keep making it, and try new recipes and techniques, and eventually you will get what you want. Practice makes perfect, right?

Another thing I like is incorporating jackfruit into mine seitan. It gives it a really nice texture. So far my favorite for seitan burgers.

Reactions: amberfunk
I never thought to try boiling and then baking, that's interesting. Do you get much flavour from the loaf just in itself or do you rely on what you cook it in (boiling broth or baking/frying sauce) to give it flavour?
I season the loaf with various seasonings and use either no beef bouillon or no chicken bouillon (better than bouillon brand) instead of water to get it into a loaf. I will boil it in extra of the bouillon or veggie stock for extra flavor.

I tried something new for my seitan this past week. I added two cups vital wheat gluten, 2 tablespoons each of pea protein powder and garbanzo bean flour plus all of my regular spices and such. It turned out way more tender that even my husband loved it. Definitely making it like that from now on.

Reactions: Catfriend