Vacations as a vegan

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I'm going to my first trips as a vegan this year. And I get a bit "food problems". Two of them car trips with the dogs, to different places in Sweden and perhaps Norway too.

My first trip will be 7 houers drive before I'm on the place we're going to spend the weekend. And I wonder what to bring with me, and how. The place I'm going to have no drinkable water, so I need to bring water for me and my dogs for drinking + cooking (so no plans making things that need a lot of boiling). I'm the only vegan there, and we're going to share a small kitchen or BBQ.

So what do you think the best way to planning the meals? Should I do al the prepping and cooking home most part, freeze some of it and then let it defrost on the way there? I want it easy, and not spend a lot of time cooking. So want to bring some things that is mostly only to heat or put in an oven.

I have to bring my own lunch too, since I do not dare to be sure I get a proper lunch I can eat (we're spending the day outside, and I do want a proper meal). So I was thinking of a pasta sallad with Oumph! on Saturday, and falafel with hummus and couscous sallad Saturday. Should I cook the couscous at home example, and blend everything together on Sunday?

For dinner I'm thinking of something that both can be made on a BBQ, and in a oven. Burgers example. But I wonder if the best thing is to fry them here and then freeze them?

I can't depend on searching for a lot of rare stores either, since I've got the dogs in the car, and can't predict the weather accross all Sweden.

I've seen some ready-to-eat meal bags in the shops in the UK, so you may be able to find something like that. They don't even require heating. One such bag was by Jamie Oliver, accidentally vegan. I think I mentioned it in a thread somewhere recently.

If you're going by car, then you can easily bring a cooler with ice in it that can keep food cool. I'm not sure it can keep anything frozen exactly, but it can stay cool / refrigerated for a while.

I think couscous should be relatively easy to cook out in the wild, so I wouldn't pre-boil that, if I were you.

Bread is something that is easy to bring and doesn't require refrigeration, so if that's an option, I would consider it. Bread with peanut butter, for example.

Last edited:
I second bread with peanut butter. If you have a cooler, put some fruit in it. Apples, oranges, grapes travel fairly well. Bananas are good if you eat them on your first day. I'm a big fan of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. :D
Also, bring along some vegan protein bars if you can; they always come in handy especially if you're hiking or something. Trail mix is also good.
As far as prepared meals, there are some good Indian ones that come in a pouch and just need boiling for a few minutes. They are great over rice or couscous. I can't remember the brand name, but it begins with a K. I'm not sure if they are available where you are. Just be sure to make sure you don't get ones with dairy in them. Chana masala is good one, as it's usually dairy free. I like your pasta salad idea as well. I also make black bean burgers and falafel and cook them ahead of time and just eat them cold with mustard and ketchup or relish on them. Bring some pita and you can have them in a cold sandwich. You can also chop them up and put them in a pasta dish with sauce of your choosing. Maybe some marinara in a jar. Veggie chili is also good and can be made ahead of time as well. Again, this could be eaten hot or cold.