Copyright Using a Copyrighted Song for a Personal Video

Naturebound1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Last night I made a video with photos of wildlife my partner and I have taken over the years. I added the song "Conquest of Paradise" to the video to add to the mood. As I suspected, when I tried to share it my friends on Facebook, the site blocked the audio of this video due to copyright laws. I have seen countless personal videos on YouTube and Facebook where people use commercial music. So how are they able to do it?

I looked up about getting permission to use a song, and it seems so complicated. You have to figure out who the publisher (not author) of the song is, and get permission from them. I spent two hours trying to find this to no avail. Very frustrating. Just wondering if anyone knows what to do so I can simply share my video with a neat song attached. :/ Gee I have no interest in making money or selling it. I plan to only show it to a few select friends. Makes me wonder now how I will share future dance videos with the music I am using.

Same thing happened to me when I did a video about my cat, Thor, after he died. There's supposed to be a way around it but I haven't figured it out yet. If I do I will let you know. Did you save it to YouTube? That's where I had the issue with mine.

Same thing happened to me when I did a video about my cat, Thor, after he died. There's supposed to be a way around it but I haven't figured it out yet. If I do I will let you know. Did you save it to YouTube? That's where I had the issue with mine.
I tried to share it on Facebook and that's where I had this current issue. I have had this happen before on YouTube too. I have seen countless videos using the same song though. Maybe I will contact one of these people who have had success and see what they did. If I ever figure anything out I will let you know! Sorry about your cat. :/

I've never attempted uploading videos with a music track anywhere, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd imagine you could try removing all meta-data associated with the music track such as song name, artist, album and so on.

If that doesn't work, try modifying the actual data by adding some extra audio at the start before the music starts, or run the music track through a filter of some kind.

It's kind of a crapshoot honestly. I don't have any good advice, as I've run into trouble with copyright law more times than I can remember. Good luck though!

Thanks for all the info guys! As it turns out, I was able to use the particular song I was after for my wildlife video. I received a notice that the "claimant" to the song was allowing it, but with the understanding that there might be advertising attached to my video. I am totally fine with that (though with my luck it would be advertising for meat/dairy/eggs or leather/silk lol).

I am definitely keeping your information handy for when I do dance videos in case I run into this. I have used Royalty free music in the past but you are limited with the selection of music, and sometimes I just can't find what I am after with those. Now it's off to share my video!

I'm glad I found this.... I have no video made (yet), but an idea for one that's been rattling around in my brain for at least 3 or 4 years. I know the song I want, I know the sort of shots I need. There's a good chance I can get permission to use the song (Chicago-based group I have very loose ties to).... That song is half the inspiration, though. I see the images of what I want to film when I listen to it.

I guess I'd better finally do some leg-work on this one of these days.... :sadnod: