Personal Experiment Using a Multivitamin for B12

VeganForum

Official VF bot
Reaction score
JackNorrisRD said:
By Jack Norris, RD, LD I’ve concluded a personal experiment using a daily multivitamin that I conducted after writing the article, Are Multivitamins an Adequate Source of B12 for Vegans? In the article, I present evidence that a daily multivitamin containing 5 µg of B12 should be enough for adults (who aren’t pregnant, breastfeeding, or […]
More: Personal Experiment Using a Multivitamin for B12

Hi, I believe all vegans and even vegetarians should take a B12 supplement AND also consume a whole-food diet full
of many fresh vegetables and other plant foods. Many vegetarians believe they get B12 from dairy and eggs, but this is
not true. Most dairy and eggs come from unhealthy animals who themselves are given B12 supplements.
Many vegans do not eat healthfully by eating a largely processed food diet, such as fake meats and frozen cardboard
boxes containing vegan foods. Make at least 50% of your food choices be fresh plants from the produce section.
In order to absorb B12 you need to have enough iron and folate, plus a healthy gut bacteria to begin with. Many vegans
and vegetarians have low iron counts.
Just because we take/eat something does not mean we are absorbing it.
There are many different types of B12; pills of all amounts, creams, patches, liquids, nasal creams, (and the last resort in
doctors injections). Most will work for most humans, but some humans will not absorb B12 well. Both vegans,
vegetarians, and omnivore humans can be B12 deficient. However the criticism of B12 deficiencies gets lodged on
vegans as we are treated as "inadequate". Be vegan for positive and loving reasons and remember the animals. love, rachel

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt
I got curious and tried to find out when B12 began to be produced on a commercial scale, by fermentation (still the method most used I think). This quote is from the abstract of an article published in 1953:

"During the four years which have passed since the microbiological fermentation of vitamin B12 complex was first accomplished, major developments have occurred, and the production of vitamin B12 and its various complexes has become a major fermentation industry with substantial markets in human and animal nutrition. "

This seems (the 1950's) to be not that long ago, to me. So b12 supplements maybe weren't even on the store shelves when my grandma was 10 years old? Wow.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Second Summer
I am a black sheep on this topic, I don't follow the mass that got me sick in the first place and will never forget them. I do my own thing now !