Are Multivitamins an Adequate Source of B12 for Vegans?

VeganForum

Official VF bot
Reaction score
JackNorrisRD said:
Summary Vegans who rely solely on a daily multivitamin for vitamin B12 should make sure it meets VeganHealth’s minimum recommendation for a daily dose, which is 5 µg for adults. This amount of B12 is tailored to meet the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) after adjusting for absorption rates of a single daily dose. Here […]
More: Are Multivitamins an Adequate Source of B12 for Vegans?

Jack, Thanks for the info. However, Dr. Greger can teach all of us more about B12 in these two podcasts. Try listening and
learning more than we now know. It is important to know that omnivore humans can also be deficient in B12 despite
their animal flesh intakes. You can also read and listen to other experts about the same subject. Cheers, rachel
part 1
part 2

Reactions: 500channelsurfer
B12 is also directly related to strokes. When our human homocysteine levels are high, they are linked to strokes.
High homocysteine levels are as a result of low B12 levels. Animal protein consumption can result in low B12
levels, likely because farm animals are fed an unnatural diet with no whole plants containing B12. Therefore,
flesh, organs, dairy and eggs are very low in any B12. Humans can also take a creatine supplement to lower our
homocysteine levels. There is a vegan version of creatine sold by Vivo life.
And, vegans can be low in B12 because we do not supplement. I had a blood test 6 months ago by a clinical nutritionist.
I take healthy amounts of D3, B12, magnesium, and sometimes zinc. My test showed my B12 levels were excessively high,
showing I absorb that supplement very well. However my D3 level was very low. I believe it was partly because D3 is best
absorbed with fat, like D3 packaged in a coconut oil base. Also it has to do with our liver. The D3 I was using was vegan, but
in a glycerin base.
I strongly urge all vegans to learn more about B12. I believe many 'ex-vegans" were low in B12 and iron and felt tired. They then ate the
magic animal products and viola! they were whole again. Ha, must have been that "vegan" diet, huh?.
Here are two great resources;

Jack, Thanks for the info. However, Dr. Greger can teach all of us more about B12 in these two podcasts. Try listening and
learning more than we now know. It is important to know that omnivore humans can also be deficient in B12 despite
their animal flesh intakes. You can also read and listen to other experts about the same subject. Cheers, rachel
part 1
part 2
Jack Norris (the OP) is a Registered Dietitian. He is likely even more knowledgeable about vitamin B12 than Dr. Greger.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
I think the answer to the question is no. The issue is in absorbability. A multi with 100% of the RDA will not provide 100%. Maybe only 20%. So you need to either take a much larger dose or multiple smaller doses.

I think the answer to the question is no. The issue is in absorbability. A multi with 100% of the RDA will not provide 100%. Maybe only 20%. So you need to either take a much larger dose or multiple smaller doses.
I think some multivitamins provide more than 100% of the RDA, though? At least that is the case with the Veg1 multivitamin which is popular over here in the UK.

The OP's article answers the question in detail, with links to peer-reviewed studies.

I think some multivitamins provide more than 100% of the RDA, though? At least that is the case with the Veg1 multivitamin which is popular over here in the UK.
even if it has over 100%. your body can only absorb approximately 20% per meal. So you need many small doses. or a really really large dose

like a serving of fortified food, 4 or 5 times a day. Or you can take 1000 mg every other day. Seniors might want to take 1000 every day.