Underwhelming vegan foods

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
What are some vegan foods that you tried that was underwhelming? For me it was cashew Mac n cheese.
Jammy dodgers and Oreos were also underwhelming.

"underwhelming". That is an interesting word choice. I wanted to make sure I understood it and looked it up. It wasn't even in the first dictionary I looked at.
I think it might mean somewhere between like and dislike.
as far as food goes, maybe you finished it but won't buy it or make it again.
let me know if you think my understanding is too broad or too narrow.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that at first glance the space between "like" and "dislike" seems pretty narrow. But the number of vegan food that I won't buy again is pretty long.

Every vegan hot dog I have bought would go on that list. Most every vegan frozen entree would go on that list. And maybe about half the frozen vegan patties I've tried.

Speaking of patties, last week I bought a Tofu Veggie Burger made by Hodo. Hodo is a local company that I've read good things about. But the veggie burger was underwhelming.

Maybe that is an important distinction. An underwhelming food doesn't meet your expectations.

Daiya cheesecake

The one I made with cashews and agar was quite good though

Maybe I should start a thread on vegan products that are overwhelming, cause that's what I'm thinking now!

Vegan gravies. I've yet to find a decent one. I'm still looking for the perfect recipe, lol. Most of them have mushrooms, which is a deal breaker for me as I loathe them.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Vegan gravies. I've yet to find a decent one. I'm still looking for the perfect recipe, lol. Most of them have mushrooms, which is a deal breaker for me as I loathe them.
I haven't found one I like either. And I love mushrooms.

When you guy a Tofurkey Holliday Roast, it comes with gravy. I wonder if you can just buy the gravy. (it's getting to be that time of year, too).

I haven't found one I like either. And I love mushrooms.

When you guy a Tofurkey Holliday Roast, it comes with gravy. I wonder if you can just buy the gravy. (it's getting to be that time of year, too).
Is the gravy good? I've never tried the holiday roast.

I think so. I haven't bought one of those in a few years.

One year i bought a bunch of different brands and did a taste test.
I liked the Gardein best but I may buy a Field Roast this year. Its cheaper and last time I screwed up the prep.
But it would be better with gravy no matter what so we still need to find a good gravy.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
Never heard of JO. But I looked it up and discovered Trader Joe's has a vegan gravy.
I didn't know that. Looking forward to trying it. but probably could easily make some. There are dozens of recipes on the Internets.

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I bought a vegan roast a few years back that came with a gravy packet. I stuck the packet in the freezer and forgot what I had! It was very very good. I kinda want to say Tofurky?

I make gravy with Better than Boullion no chikn or no beef and a roux, and herbs

Campbells USED to have a canned mushroom gravy that was vegan--accidently of course! 🙄 😄. Wasn't the best, but I loved having it on hand! Made an easy green bean casserole!
Oh--it had another name you can buy in Canada

Reactions: Lou and PTree15
I like Hälsans Kök products and so when I saw the "Incredible Sausage" I thought I would try it. It was ok - I managed to get mine down but M didn't like it at all. I'll stick to their usual sausages from now on.