UK People: Beans and Toast?

I don't put the beans on the toast, I have the toast at the side. I like to taste the toast with the marg on it.

And I think supermarkets own brand baked beans are fine.

a tin of baked beans and a tin of spaghetti mix together is quite nice too.

Reactions: sallyomally
Yes, because they literally are placed on the slice of toast and not on the side.
BTW I don't like any of the tinned stuff, or HP sauce mentionned. I like it junk food.:eek:

So, do you have a recipe for the baked beans?

So, do you have a recipe for the baked beans?

I think that they would be similar to Boston beans ?
I don't like sweet sauces and don't make this kind of food. I think that it is more of a convenience food for people who want a wholesome meal from a tin, who don't take into account the sugar content. :)

As a kid one of the few 'meals' my dad knew how to make was what he called a cheese beano- cheese on toast covered with baked beans. It was really good- of course I don't eat cow cheese any more but it's probably just as good with vegan cheese, I haven't tried it. One of my first meals as a new vegan was beans on toast with margarine. And yes heinz is definitely best, though I quite like Branston baked beans too.

Also HP sauce- ew. And you totally need a knife and fork, not just a fork, to cut up the toast and fork it up with the beans on it. It can end up being quite a messy meal actually as the beans often don't want to stay put.

Reactions: jeneticallymodified
As a kid one of the few 'meals' my dad knew how to make was what he called a cheese beano- cheese on toast covered with baked beans. It was really good- of course I don't eat cow cheese any more but it's probably just as good with vegan cheese, I haven't tried it. One of my first meals as a new vegan was beans on toast with margarine. And yes heinz is definitely best, though I quite like Branston baked beans too.

Ooh, if you have a toastie maker that does the closed pocket kind, cheese and beans is so good! I'll have to try a vegan version, haven't had those in years.

Reactions: jeneticallymodified
Another sort of traditional thing is baked beans in a jacket potato.

I've done this before. I keep thinking of beans on toast as being equivalent to the bagel with cream cheese. Which now makes me wonder if you eat beans on bagels? That sounds like a pretty filling breakfast compared to the toast. And which type of bread do you typically toast up to eat with the beans? Is it a thicker bread or just regular sliced bread? White? whole wheat? Rye? Pumpernickel? What is the usual serving size? Just two pieces of bread or more?

I love beans on toast. SO MUCH. So very much. :smitten:

I don't like the bread buttered first or with any other sauce. & they've got to be Heinz beans. Beans on toast with a cup of tea is the best combination ever.

I've done this before. I keep thinking of beans on toast as being equivalent to the bagel with cream cheese. Which now makes me wonder if you eat beans on bagels? That sounds like a pretty filling breakfast compared to the toast. And which type of bread do you typically toast up to eat with the beans? Is it a thicker bread or just regular sliced bread? White? whole wheat? Rye? Pumpernickel? What is the usual serving size? Just two pieces of bread or more?

Any bread you like! Whatever you have really. :) It's really good with wholegrain though. I just have one slice.

I normally use fairly thick sliced wholemeal bread but lots of folk would use white. I have two pieces of bread for a light lunch or 4 if I'm super hungry.

I think that they would be similar to Boston beans ?
I don't like sweet sauces and don't make this kind of food. I think that it is more of a convenience food for people who want a wholesome meal from a tin, who don't take into account the sugar content. :)

Ah - I had misread your post, and thought it was the canned beans you objected to, and preferred to make them from scratch. :)