Twitter

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been wanting to get into / understand Twitter a bit better.

What sort of interface do you use for it? Do you tend to use some client on your computer? If so, which? Or simply your web browser? Or do you stick to smartphone apps, and if so, which?

And then hash tags: If you wanted to share your wise words on a topic, do you just invent the hash tag yourself, or is there a way to search for suitable hash tags that others have already started using? Btw, does a hash tag have to be just one word? Say, if I wanted to say something about Jabba the Hut or someone else with a long name like that, what is the "correct" hash tag?

I use twitter a fair bit. I normally just use the web interface. I've tried a couple of open source clients but haven't been impressed.

Hashtags can be a bit random but you will often pick them up from seeing other people tweet. For events, TV shows etc. someone will probably publicise an official one. Hashtags can't contain spaces of special characters. '#jabba' or '#jabbathehut' would both work, there are no hard and fast rules. Best bet is just to dive in and pick it up as you go along.

Here is my nonsense: @substandardnerd. :)

I could never get into twitter. it seems like its turned into another way that celebrities try to get attention by revealing too much information. eugh. as far as i know hash tags can be either makey uppey or proper, and have to be one word.

I have tried to get into twitter a few times, I quite like it now, I think it can be hard to get into because you expect it to be like social networking sites. You kind of expect to communicate with people you know, whereas the point is really more to communicate with people you don't know - on current/trending topics.

My biggest problem with twitter is that I don't think I'm interesting enough, or up to date with current events enough, to be on it! I never have much to say.

~ REBOOT ~

I joined Twitter in early 2009, when it was practically nothing... stayed away for several years... rejoined about a month ago.... I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.... I've figured out a few things on my own....

I guess I'll use this thread to post anything from my Twitter feed (or those I'm following) that might be of potential interest....

You Retweeted
Mark Ruffalo‏Verified account @MarkRuffalo 2h2 hours ago

Today we mourn for Las Vegas, tomorrow we fight for them. Join the movement to end gun violence: Text ACT to 64433.

DLJC7g_XUAEQv0u.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly, I felt I had to "unfollow" NPR, The New Yorker, and The New York Times.... These are sites I visit regularly, but I just can't stand the repeated tweets. I already read that story two days ago, stop already! :confused: LOL

Last edited:
I'd like to know how I get "followers" without any notification....

Apparently, trolls/clones/bots can follow without the followee being notified. I mean, I know Bruce Campbell's handle is not Groovy_Brucee (like Icee or Slushee).... :dismay:

I was excited about the Krassensteins, though! :up:

But I know the real Cory Booker has way more than 16 followers.... :p

Damn. :pout: I love that man. <3 LOL

I'd like to know how I get "followers" without any notification....
Bots will use the Twitter API (i.e. the programmable interface) instead of the human interface you get in a browser. So presumably there's an option in the API to follow someone without notifying them. That could be a bug or it could be a deliberate feature.

I think I 'get' Twitter quite well now, it only took 7 years :) I use it mostly to keep up to date in my field (databases, open-source etc.), so I tend to follow mostly people who have interesting things to say in relation to that. As tempting as it may be, I deliberately do not usually get into political debates, cat videos, casual entertainment very much, as I want to stay focused.

Reactions: Val
I read some twitter accounts on a semi-regular or occasional basis, which doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with what has been typed. Paul Embery and Andrew Neil are two are those that I read the most and which I would rate as the best sources of information.

I think that a lot of people who don't have enough stress in their everyday life use twitter to point score. I'm also averse to following anyone (or being followed myself) which is why I haven't joined it. Also there are a lot of twitterati for whom collecting followers is a status symbol.

I read some twitter accounts on a semi-regular or occasional basis, which doesn't mean that I necessarily agree with what has been typed. Paul Embery and Andrew Neil are two are those that I read the most and which I would rate as the best sources of information.

I think that a lot of people who don't have enough stress in their everyday life use twitter to point score. I'm also averse to following anyone (or being followed myself) which is why I haven't joined it. Also there are a lot of twitterati for whom collecting followers is a status symbol.
I joined Twitter just in order to follow my friend, who is a huge twitter fan. I talk to her mostly via private messages though.:shrug: