Trying to transition from fish oil to Algae

question -
nordic omega algae - if I take it out of. the soft gel, will I be skipping the sorbitol, glycerin, carrageenan etc?

Are you looking at the total omegas? I'm looking at the combined dha and epa
oh! you're right. I hadn't realized they were different.
so that changes the math a bit. I'm not going to refigure it tho. Too early in the morning to do arithmetic.

So you might be expecting a green color because algae is green. but omega 3 supplements only start with algae. they use the algae to make the omega 3, and then there are a variety of processes that can be used to isolate and concentrate just the omega 3. then add some fillers or capsules. Pure omega 3 is a light yellow.

BTW, that above company is a wholesaler. they make the omega 3s for other companies.

So I wrote to that company and asked them for some of the companies they supply to.

They wrote back the next day with this:

Hi Louis,​
Thanks for reaching out. We are a B2B supplier, so we don’t currently have a consumer-brand products in house. However, I’ve put together a short list below of a few of our customer’s products – all of which are great products. These options are available in the USA and O3 smoothies is also available in Canada.

Let me know if you are located elsewhere and I can pull a list together for you based on your location.​
1) Complete Multivitamin: RITUAL - https://ritual.com
- our omegas are one of the foundational ingredients in all of Ritual’s multivitamins​
- easy, subscription-model and very high quality multivitamins 😊
2) Omegas only: CatchFree Omega from Wiley’s Finest - CatchFree Omega – Wiley's Finest
- this one’s an omega-only, so if you don’t need the other stuff that’s in Ritual’s multivit, this would be the best option​
- very high-quality Omega product… they’ve won 4 awards this year because it performs so well when it comes to flavour/sensory​
3) O3 Smoothies - https://www.o3smoothies.com
- this one’s a little different, but it’s a great option for anyone who doesn’t enjoy taking/swallowing pills​
- these are omega-3 emulsions (contain MCT from coconut) and come in a TON of flavours, and they recently released a couple new vegan flavours.​
- just thought I’d include them here b/c they’re fun, flavourful and super popular, esp with kids​
Best,​
I checked out the three links and I'm very impressed with those products. More stuff to consider next time I run out of my multi or Omega 3.

The smoothies are a bit too expensive, IMHO, but they sound delicious. the website doesn't make it clear but you don't drink the whole bottle, instead like other liquid supplements you take 1 - 2 tsp per day. A bottle will last you a month or two. Only two vegan flavors.

Do you think this is a scam? Products > 1000mg DHA/Serving Algae Omega-3 PURE UNFLAVORED (4x250mL), 200 tsp/L

just pure chromista oil and nothing else?
This is the thread that lead me to discover this forum. I was looking for info or reviews about this product. I contacted the company and they wrote back. A neighbor placed an order for me because I don't have a credit card. My neighbor has received the shipment with 2 flavors for family members and the neighbor and one for me. I can post here again when we get together to sample them.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Greger says our bodies do well with either/or. Can't seem to find the lastest--he puts out so much between nutritionfacts.org and all his other q&a
He recommends either/or or combination of DHA/EPA of 250 daily. We can make the conversion between dha/epa ok according to research, just not so much ala to dha/epa
This is what I can offer about the source- omega brand that was mentioned:
It is mostly DHA. (The company seems to promote the idea that we only need the DHA because we can convert it to EPA. It seems the algae they grow makes mostly DHA, and other companies are concentrating on finding new kinds of algae that can produce more EPA.) 500 mg DHA per gram oil is what their website says. If we assume that we need a bit more than one mL of oil to make one gram, and that a mL of oil has about 440 mg DHA (?), then there would be 440 mg DHA x 250 mL per bottle = 110,000 mg DHA per bottle. 110,000 mg ÷ 250 mg serving per day = 440 servings per bottle. Or less if you want more mg DHA/ day.
With a neighbor and my sis I ordered 3 flavors from them. The unflavored has a mild fish taste. It reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom would buy frozen breaded fish sticks. Some mornings we were in such a hurry my breakfast would be a frozen fishsick, not even heated up. I actually like all things with a sea taste, so I can use the unflavored.
I guess fish taste like fish because they actually taste like the oil they accumulated from the algae they eat, since the whole aquatic food chain is built on algae and other photosynthesizers like phytoplankton? (are there any biologists around who can help me out here?) . . .
The rosemary flavor was too strong of a rosemary flavor for my neighbor. She diluted a teaspoon of it with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and dipped some fresh bread in it. I followed her lead and it was actually a good combination. I think they probably make it such a strong flavor for people who want to avoid that sea taste, to cover it up. And it does cover up that mild fishy taste I noticed in the unflavored. Completely undetectable to my (admittedly not very discerning) taste buds.
My sis and my brother in law are going to use up their bottle of rosemary before they open the lemon, but my guess is that it will probably be strong enough to use almost like lemon extract, if it is like the rosemary.

Last edited:
Actually, the lemon was not as strong but still covered up the fishy taste. Plus I discovered another company, Jedward's international that is selling 16oz of algae oil for $39.50 plus shipping. Shipping is about $25 whether you order one bottle or four. The oil tastes more strongly of fish than the source- omega and it is less refined so it is dark orange. I was worried that it was salmon oil until my sister decided we should request a sample of the salmon oil to compare, and convinced me that it is not the same. I found that a small amount (a few drops) of almost any essential oil can cover the fish taste. To experiment, I put an ounce or so of algae oil in a small jar and add just one drop at a time of an essential oil, tasting on a teaspoon as I go. Oregano oil worked. I also was able to get an orange flavor by putting some zest I peeled from a home grown orange into a small jar of it (I used a lot of zest compared to how much oil was in there) and leaving it in the fridge for a week, plus I shook the jar almost every day, since I was nervous about whether it would work. I don't know how long that can safely keep for, though, even refrigerated.

My brother in law also added a small amount to some non-vegan mayo and said he couldn't taste the fishy taste much that way, though it did give the mayo a yellowish color.

Last edited:
Why not just order capsules?
I don't know which I hate more,the sea taste of algae or oregano oil. I think oregano oil.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I agree with Silva. Just get some capsules. I'm doing a DEVA DHA/EPA cap - one every other day.

Why not just order capsules?
I don't know which I hate more,the sea taste of algae or oregano oil. I think oregano oil.
I guess just because I'm such an odd duck, ha, ha! I think I was figuring that the price per unit of actual DHA is a bit cheaper, plus as unbelievable as it may seem, I really do like the taste, so much that if I got the capsules I'd probably chew them, as gross as that sounds to someone who is trying to avoid the taste at all costs. It is actually a treat for me to put it on top of a bowl of millet or veggies. Ok, I'll stop grossing you out now-- sorry!
Oh and also since I am already in TMI I would also like to share with a relative with Alzheimer's who doesn't like pills or fish.

Last edited:
I guess just because I'm such an odd duck, ha, ha! I think I was figuring that the price per unit of actual DHA is a bit cheaper, plus as unbelievable as it may seem, I really do like the taste, so much that if I got the capsules I'd probably chew them, as gross as that sounds to someone who is trying to avoid the taste at all costs. It is actually a treat for me to put it on top of a bowl of millet or veggies. Ok, I'll stop grossing you out now-- sorry!
Oh and also since I am already in TMI I would also like to share with a relative with Alzheimer's who doesn't like pills or fish.
I always wondered if people who liked fish, esp like sushi, would like the taste of algae oil. I hated fish, so I do what I can to be sure I don't burp it up. Capsules with carageenan seem to be best, as well as taking them on an empty stomach. These are one thing I still buy on amazon. I've been finding much better values lately!
Dr Greger says they're all from the same algae source, so brand doesn't matter, just, I think, 300mg a day of DHA or combined DHA/ EPA

If your relative doesn't like fish be sure to suggest a capsule!

I always liked the taste of fish. But although I don't mind the fishy taste of vegan Omega-3 pills, I don't much care for it either- so I swallow them whole and don't taste anything. I guess the fishes taste fishy because of all the fishy-tasting algae oil they (or the smaller fishes, shrimp, etc) ate.

Hi everyone how’s it going? Hope everyone is keeping safe an animal free!

I have been trying to transition very slowly to becoming a vegan so it doesn’t impact much of my lifestyle and people around me which has been very successful.

there is just one obstacle I am trying to get over and this is Omega three fish oils. I have to take them due to blood pressure reasons I hands want to go to a plant-based alternative as it it’s disgusting what they are trying to do to our marine life in the world.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of good UK algae brands that have high amounts of DHA EPA - some DPA in it as well... cannot find it I need to save my life from the guilt of continuing to take fish pills.

take care Hope to hear from everyone soon Mike!
Dr. Greger states that fish oil supplements are not worth buying and do nothing for the human body. They also smell, fishy....

Last time I had to buy an omega 3 supplement I made a chart.
Since I don't regularly have enough ALA in my diet I take one cap of Deva flax seed oil a day.
I also supplement the other Omega 3s.
Right now I'm using the product by ZenWise.

below is the chart I made.
almost all the info and almost all the prices I got off of Amazon.
as of March 1, 2021.

AmalaVegetolgyDEVANuTruNordic NaturalsvegaSourceZenWise
EPA5163≈10015019513590150
DHA360266≈200300390270180300
DPA7529
Total Omega 3435912300450715500300450
¢/CAP-serving41363360465350.22
Price/mg0.090.030.110.130.060.100.16.20
Thank you for the chart comparison. I believe prices have increased. I have also found some other brands that
are considerably more pricey than those listed. Below is the liquid one offered by vivo life, which carries several great
vegan supplements and protein powders. cheers. Vegan Liquid Omega 3 Supplement | Vegan Algae Oil | Vivo Life

I've been buying algae dha for years and seems every time it's a different brand, based on pricing. They had all gone down in price, with many more options, now they do seem to be up again.
I now have this brand and no burps from it, even without carageenan
On capsule is 300 DHA, 150 EPA
2X 60 capsules for $13.99

• Friendly