Trying to transition from fish oil to Algae

So the Omega 3 is refined from algae oil. So I'm not sure it would taste like algae. I'm not even sure what algae tastes like. And even if I know how some algae tastes like, that doesn't necessarily mean that the strains they use for Omega 3 production would taste like that .

But except for the capsule its just omega -3, I don't think the brand uses any additives.
I would think that since its just a type of fat, it wouldn't have a taste at all. Our tongue doesn't have any taste buds for fat.

All of the Omega 3s I have here at home have additives. and they have an odor. I'm pretty sure I'm just smelling the additives.

Anyway, you aren't suppose to chew them. when you swallow one you won't notice any kind of taste.

Hi everyone how’s it going? Hope everyone is keeping safe an animal free!

I have been trying to transition very slowly to becoming a vegan so it doesn’t impact much of my lifestyle and people around me which has been very successful.

there is just one obstacle I am trying to get over and this is Omega three fish oils. I have to take them due to blood pressure reasons I hands want to go to a plant-based alternative as it it’s disgusting what they are trying to do to our marine life in the world.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of good UK algae brands that have high amounts of DHA EPA - some DPA in it as well... cannot find it I need to save my life from the guilt of continuing to take fish pills.

take care Hope to hear from everyone soon Mike!

Chia and Flax are good sources of Omega 3's. Flax is better as it contains more overall nutrients. One of the nice things about flax seed is that unlike extracted flax oil, you can cook with it. I often add it to sauteing vegetables (in water) before mixing in some pasta. It gives that oily texture to the finished dish plus the Omega 3 and other added benefits.

Reactions: Lou
Chia and Flax are good sources of Omega 3's. Flax is better as it contains more overall nutrients. One of the nice things about flax seed is that unlike extracted flax oil, you can cook with it. I often add it to sauteing vegetables (in water) before mixing in some pasta. It gives that oily texture to the finished dish plus the Omega 3 and other added benefits.
Flax and chia seeds have their own nutritional benefits, but omega fats only contain epa, our bodies have to be able to convert it to the bioavailable, and not everyone is effeceint, and it decreases as we age.
Fish get their dha from algae, algae contains dha and epa, both add to brain health

I've been taking them for years and truly find a difference in my attention and focus

Interesting. Chromista is the name of a Kingdom. ( I don't think we had that one when I was in school)
The Chromista Kingdom contains a number of different phyla and I'm guessing that one of those phyla contain algae.

Oh. here is says it contains "Schizochytrium Algae Oil".
Schizochytrium is a species of algae, in the Chromista Kingdom. and yep it is used for DHA production.

Not sure why they call it Chromista oil. Maybe just because no one can spell or pronounce Schizochytrium.

The Source Omega 3 product doesn't have much EPA. I think that might be an issue.

It's independently owned and he seems to be trying hard to make money off it. I wish there was a way to know what's in supplements for real :(
Im so afraid it will be sunflower oil or syrup or who knows what.

It's independently owned and he seems to be trying hard to make money off it. I wish there was a way to know what's in supplements for real :(
Im so afraid it will be sunflower oil or syrup or who knows what.

a quick google search for reviews make it sound to be a pretty legit company. they

Do you think this is a scam? Products > 1000mg DHA/Serving Algae Omega-3 PURE UNFLAVORED (4x250mL), 200 tsp/L

just pure chromista oil and nothing else?
Holy mackeral! $296.25???? Is that for the 3 one litre bottles + one free? Still....
Sounds good, but there are so many others on the market now
Dr Greger has said research shows you only need 250mg total of combined DHA/EPA. He also doesn't suggest any particular brand or method
I just know taking them for like 3 years now I know I function better. I've gone off them enough times to find out, and have had several brands

Holy mackeral! $296.25???? Is that for the 3 one litre bottles + one free? Still....
Dr Greger has said research shows you only need 250mg total of combined DHA/EPA. He also doesn't suggest any particular brand or method
I just know taking them for like 3 years now I know I function better. I've gone off them enough times to find out, and have had several brands
Oh. I totally missed the price.

Solid NO. that is way too high a price.

I just found this article. and it has a chart a lot like the one that I made back when. Just click on the chart to zoom in. My chart was better - it had prices. although I think I did some of the math wrong.

“The most important thing is to comparison shop, carefully paying attention to the amount of omega-3 fats in each capsule,” Messina says. “Often, the recommended dose on the bottle will be two capsules per day. That means that a bottle of 60 capsules for $20 will last for only a month. But in many of these supplements, this comes out to close to 600 mg of DHA and EPA per day. To get 300 mg just three times per week, that bottle would actually last for five months. When you do the math, it gets at least a little bit more affordable.”

Oh. I totally missed the price.

Solid NO. that is way too high a price.

I just found this article. and it has a chart a lot like the one that I made back when. Just click on the chart to zoom in. My chart was better - it had prices. although I think I did some of the math wrong.

“The most important thing is to comparison shop, carefully paying attention to the amount of omega-3 fats in each capsule,” Messina says. “Often, the recommended dose on the bottle will be two capsules per day. That means that a bottle of 60 capsules for $20 will last for only a month. But in many of these supplements, this comes out to close to 600 mg of DHA and EPA per day. To get 300 mg just three times per week, that bottle would actually last for five months. When you do the math, it gets at least a little bit more affordable.”

That leave out sooo many
Prices change a lot too, why I always get something different, they seem to be going down
I've been really happy with these--burpless. 120 days @ 400 combined DHA/EPA. Surprisingly more EPA than other algaes

@silva, next time I run out I'm coming to you for a recommendation.

Hey, @walkingintheair, just take Silva's recommendation - She Is The Best.

Oh, and WITA, I really shouldn't advise you on this because I often over-analyze and stress about purchases. (But I'm going to do it anyway). At some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you just have to pull the trigger. Besides its not like you are buying a life long subscription. In a couple of months you have to buy some more - and as Silva will let you know, there may be some new/more considerations.

• Friendly
Reactions: silva
@silva, next time I run out I'm coming to you for a recommendation.

Hey, @walkingintheair, just take Silva's recommendation - She Is The Best.

Oh, and WITA, I really shouldn't advise you on this because I often over-analyze and stress about purchases. (But I'm going to do it anyway). At some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you just have to pull the trigger. Besides its not like you are buying a life long subscription. In a couple of months you have to buy some more - and as Silva will let you know, there may be some new/more considerations.
I'm with you on that! :master: . I hate that amazon removed the reply feature to their customer reviews. It's my go to for so many things-including most I won't buy there.
I've just been buying these for so long.The burps were the worst part of these, but I do find the powdered algae on an empty stomach is best
Dr Greger said somewhere that the algae is the same for all the companies, so he doesn't have recommendations, other than combined 250mg a day

I'm with you on that! :master: . I hate that amazon removed the reply feature to their customer reviews. It's my go to for so many things-including most I won't buy there.
I've just been buying these for so long.The burps were the worst part of these, but I do find the powdered algae on an empty stomach is best
Dr Greger said somewhere that the algae is the same for all the companies, so he doesn't have recommendations, other than combined 250mg a day
I thought you were supposed to take omega 3 with food. Maybe I"m thinking of something else.
"the burps are the worst part"?
None of the ones I have taken give me burps.

I thought you were supposed to take omega 3 with food. Maybe I"m thinking of something else.
"the burps are the worst part"?
None of the ones I have taken give me burps.
Dang it! You should take it with food, as it's better absorbed with fat. That totally makes sense, but that is when it made me burp.
Maybe this powdered one will be better. I'll take it with lunch. I don't like sea flavor

Silva, the Very Best Omega 3 company (ginspire) has no way of even contacting them. I broke up one of their pills and put it in water and there was just the tiniest bit of green. Are you sure there is algae oil is in those pills?

So you might be expecting a green color because algae is green. but omega 3 supplements only start with algae. they use the algae to make the omega 3, and then there are a variety of processes that can be used to isolate and concentrate just the omega 3. then add some fillers or capsules. Pure omega 3 is a light yellow.

BTW, that above company is a wholesaler. they make the omega 3s for other companies.

Last edited:
That leave out sooo many
Prices change a lot too, why I always get something different, they seem to be going down
I've been really happy with these--burpless. 120 days @ 400 combined DHA/EPA. Surprisingly more EPA than other algaes
I just looked at that page. I'm seeing 500 mg per capsule. Gregar recommends 250. so you could take one capsule every other day. At 120 capsules per bottle, a bottle would last .... 240 days - that's 8 months per bottle. $5 per month.

The DEVA omega 3 that I presently take also have 500 mg/ capsule. I haven't been doing one every other day - but I'll start tomorrow. they have 90 capsules per bottle. so that is 180 day or 6 month supply. At $25 bottle it comes out to $4 a month.

I should thank Walking for pushing me into some more research. I'm still learning, too.

Oh, wait, I just did the math.
It's not as expensive as I thought.
Each 2 ml serving contains 1000 mg of omega-3. So you only need to take one serving every 4 days. There are 125 servings per bottle and 4 bottles cost $300. or $75 a bottle. and a bottle should last 500 days almost 17 months. So that comes out to about $4 a month.

If you went for this product it might be a good idea to get yourself a 1ml eye dropper. I have some from my liquid melatonin.

but the DEVA product keeps looking like the one to beat.

I just looked at that page. I'm seeing 500 mg per capsule. Gregar recommends 250. so you could take one capsule every other day. At 120 capsules per bottle, a bottle would last .... 240 days - that's 8 months per bottle. $5 per month.

The DEVA omega 3 that I presently take also have 500 mg/ capsule. I haven't been doing one every other day - but I'll start tomorrow. they have 90 capsules per bottle. so that is 180 day or 6 month supply. At $25 bottle it comes out to $4 a month.

I should thank Walking for pushing me into some more research. I'm still learning, too.
Are you looking at the total omegas? I'm looking at the combined dha and epa