Trying to transition from fish oil to Algae

Forgeyforge

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
  2. Flexitarian
Hi everyone how’s it going? Hope everyone is keeping safe an animal free!

I have been trying to transition very slowly to becoming a vegan so it doesn’t impact much of my lifestyle and people around me which has been very successful.

there is just one obstacle I am trying to get over and this is Omega three fish oils. I have to take them due to blood pressure reasons I hands want to go to a plant-based alternative as it it’s disgusting what they are trying to do to our marine life in the world.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of good UK algae brands that have high amounts of DHA EPA - some DPA in it as well... cannot find it I need to save my life from the guilt of continuing to take fish pills.

take care Hope to hear from everyone soon Mike!

Brilliant thanks for this! Are there any other brands as well just for comparison

Last time I had to buy an omega 3 supplement I made a chart.
Since I don't regularly have enough ALA in my diet I take one cap of Deva flax seed oil a day.
I also supplement the other Omega 3s.
Right now I'm using the product by ZenWise.

below is the chart I made.
almost all the info and almost all the prices I got off of Amazon.
as of March 1, 2021.

Amala Vegetolgy DEVA
NuTruNordic NaturalsvegaSourceZenWise
EPA5163≈10015019513590150
DHA360266≈200300390270180300
DPA7529
Total Omega 3435912300450715500300450
¢/CAP-serving41363360465350.22
Price/mg0.090.030.110.130.060.100.16.20

I found some very high potency, clean ingredient, vegan and inexpensive algae dha epa. Eminem i get home I'll look up

Thanks. I think it was you who clued me in to Zenwise.
Heck, I'm always switching, Dr Greger has stated that all the algae oil is sourced the same.
This one is by far the highest potency, and a great price
The serving size is a very high 4 capsules., One capsule by itself has 175 DHA and 225 EPA--a total of 400 combined. Dr Gregers recommendation is at least 250 combined.
I'm a bit worried about sea burps, since there is no added carrageenan or anything else, but I suppose that's better for you

I put DSO in my chart.
I then realized that all my cost/mg are wrong (I think). but I don't feel like its worth my time to recalculate.

ZenWiseDSO
EPA150225
DHA300175
DPA
Total Omega 3450400
¢/CAP-serving.2227
Price/mg.20.012
The big thing in comparing them is one is higher on DHA over EPA. and the other is higher on EPA.
I have no idea which is the better strategy.

I put DSO in my chart.
I then realized that all my cost/mg are wrong (I think). but I don't feel like its worth my time to recalculate.

ZenWiseDSO
EPA150225
DHA300175
DPA
Total Omega 3450400
¢/CAP-serving.2227
Price/mg.20.012
The big thing in comparing them is one is higher on DHA over EPA. and the other is higher on EPA.
I have no idea which is the better strategy.
Greger says our bodies do well with either/or. Can't seem to find the lastest--he puts out so much between nutritionfacts.org and all his other q&a
He recommends either/or or combination of DHA/EPA of 250 daily. We can make the conversion between dha/epa ok according to research, just not so much ala to dha/epa

Reactions: Lou
OH. OK. I might stick with ZenWise, its a little cheaper per capsule.
Not trying to sell anything, but the DSO are .26 a capsule and 400mg combined DHA/EPA. These are 90 capsules a bottle
the Zenwise are .33 and 225 mg combined. These are 60 capsules a bottle

• Love
Reactions: Lou
I opened a bottle of best omega 3 ever algae oil pills. Because I’m scared of pills I naturally took the pill apart which was a veggie capsule. My hands got sticky with the powder. Is this normal of algae oil? Did the veggie capsule somehow make it sticky?

I opened a bottle of best omega 3 ever algae oil pills. Because I’m scared of pills I naturally took the pill apart which was a veggie capsule. My hands got sticky with the powder. Is this normal of algae oil? Did the veggie capsule somehow make it sticky?
Algae is fatty acids, so I imagine that's why the dried powder would be sticky. Most capsules have it mixed in a carrier oil, I think the lack of added oil is why it doesn't make me burp

Ok thanks. Has anybody here had there omega levels tested before? It’s quite expensive but I’ve done it before.

Algae is fatty acids, so I imagine that's why the dried powder would be sticky. Most capsules have it mixed in a carrier oil, I think the lack of added oil is why it doesn't make me burp
My mom tasted it and said it was sweet, is algae supposed to be sweet? Sorry to ask so many questions but I am really concerned about supplements being fake.