Too much fiber?

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan newbie
Whenever going on cronometer just putting in different things I would always find that there was a lot of fiber like an extremely high amount. This video is one that actually addresses this topic

The one thing that sets me off about this video is that Vegan Physique suggests to eat less whole grains(understandable), eat white rice over brown rice, eat white pasta over whole wheat pasta, and the one that really makes this questionable most of all is to avoid raw foods. All for the sake of making sure your not getting too much fiber. Any thoughts? Let’s discuss

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Maybe that is good advice for some people. But I don't think that is good advice for most people.
I just checked some of my Cronometer results and my fiber averages in the high 30s. And from what I understand that is a good amount.
I do think I am not "average". My calorie consumption averages around 1600. I know of some vegans who are athletes consume almost twice the amount of food I do. So they would be getting something like 80 or so. So maybe if your calorie intake is very high you might need to moderate fiber.

• 👍
Reactions: Anonymous Name

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I find it interesting, and I agree with the 'cook your vegetables' recommendation. I have found that raw broccoli, for example is very hard on me and I love broccoli so now I cook it always. We do eat a lot of white rice and white pasta with whole grain pastas once every couple of weeks. I try to make sure our beans and lentils are very well cooked and I will not give up my whole grain sprouted breads. Chewing your food well is also so important as it breaks down the fibre and also makes the nutrients more bioavailable and the mouth starts the digestion process.

Emma JC

Nekodaiden

Senior
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Unless there is an underlying problem (an option to consider if you have been vegan a while), then bloating and excessive gas is typically a newbie vegan problem. Most of the time the body adjusts (given one is consistent and not cheating) and this adjustment in general will differ between persons of differing dietary backgrounds/habits.

From your perspective as a new vegan, I would say that listening to this guy is not going to benefit you in the short or long term. The things he suggests may be ‘ok’ for a longer term vegan on a short term basis, but they are not ok otherwise. Eating excessive white rice, white noodles, white bread and other highly processed foodstuffs are typically going to leave one hungry, for two reasons – a) they are low in fiber, and b) they are low in nutrients like natural minerals and vitamins.

I made the mistake of including too many stripped and otherwise low fiber food stuffs when I was a new vegan and I found that I was super hungry. Honestly, if you’re new, I’d be going with foods that you are sure you’ll get enough nutrients from as well as enough fiber to start switching your microbiome over and making sure you aren’t hungry. If you are doing lots of exercise and need more calories - there is always the option of including more fats like peanut butter, tahini, flax etc.

After you know you can do it, get enough calories and feel satisfied, then you can play around with it in different ways to achieve different body images if that’s important to you. That way you can always go back to what you know works.

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou

kelli

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I find no difference for myself if I have cooked or raw veg. The gas is brutal either way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Is it possible to eat too much fruit and vegetables? Health & Body 26
E US FDA Issues Alert on too Much Vitamin D in Certain Brands of Dog Food Animals 0
M I sleep too much Transitioning 3
H Too much fat? Gut Dysbiosis Health & Body 4
H Too much fat? gut dysbiosis Health & Body 1
H Too much fat? Health & Body 4
H Too much fat? General 2
L Is this a balanced vegan diet or am i eating too much? Food & Drink 6
robert99 Too much drug blood on America’s hands to lecture Duterte USA 0
robert99 US kids eat 3x times too much added sugar Health & Body 1
R Too much bread Food & Drink 32
sallyomally Training for the Olympics; how much is too much? General Discussion 4
V Y'all are too serious here Lounge 4
Lou Chipotle Brands Plant-Based Meat Too Processed - Beyond Meat Responds Food & Drink 1
G Hi there, I'm new here too. I've been a vegan for five years. Introduce Yourself 7
StrangeOtter Don't Be Too Hard On Yourself Transitioning 2
Lou Write a headline for when pb is too common to report Lounge 21
shyvas Has Veganism Gone Too Far ? - Veganuary General 3
D Too many issues Transitioning 3
Forest Nymph Sociologists find vegans are too open to "free riders" General 0
D Not to break veganism even if too sufferable - or = hindered actually getting to better place Philosophy 0
D Too many potatoes, need healthy recipes? Recipes 9
P Carbs! ok does anyone else find eating vegan involves way too many carbs? General 1
MamaJessica My husband (kids too) will not go vegan... Relationships 7
T It`s never too late. Introduce Yourself 4
robert99 Media war in Mosul & the Middle East too Media & Entertainment 0
Leigha New too :) Introduce Yourself 12
gab It happened to me too Lounge 0
Krish Jay Vegans can get sick too Health & Body 2
beancounter Does the background/scenery of games look too good? Lounge 5
robert99 Life Sciences Trees Have Social Networks, Too Science & Technology 1
Calliegirl Free ‘Too Hot for Spot’ Car Window Decal Frugality 6
Andy_T Make your own Vegan Cheese.. it's not too difficult! Food & Drink 44
Dropkick Music Sadly too late to save punk music Media & Entertainment 5
Calliegirl Software RIP Internet Explorer (1995-2015). We Knew Ye All Too Well Science & Technology 15
shyvas TV & Film Artists That Left Too Soon ! Media & Entertainment 0
Trinity Vegan Fig Tart (gluten free too!) Desserts 0
kibbleforlola Science Says Dogs are People Too Animals In The News 5
SuicideBlonde US Yes too living social online deal Frugality 1
nigel1 Too many mushrooms Food & Drink 18
R Too many people in the world General Discussion 54
peacefulveglady A woman is force feeding herself too high pounds General Discussion 27
thefadedone 19 Signs You've Been Vegan Too Long General 40
V Too Sensitive? Relationships 0
Spang Americans aren't too fond of evolution General Discussion 42
Kysska Hello, I too am from VB Introduce Yourself 22
Indian Summer Sociology Urban folks don't handle spontaneous visits, house too untidy Social Sciences & Humanities 21
jeneticallymodified it's me, i'm here (don't get too excited everybody) :P Introduce Yourself 21
R Nutrition & Diet Pls help! Gaining so much weight! 😭 Health & Body 16
Hog How much space does a pig need? General 3