The Weather.

There is a storm here tonight. Boxing day.

My doors are rattling and the winds are howling in a comical horror film way! I would prefer my dogs weren't so freaked out! I have closed all the windows. Yikes.

This isn’t really weather, but I had my scariest experience yet with quicksand today!

I took the dog to the beach as usual. It was freeeeezing cold. As we walked towards the water, I saw a small tidal pool next to the jetty, about five rocks up from the surf. I thought, “Woah! A tidal pool on a sand beach! You don’t see that very often!” and I went to check it out.

I didn’t notice that the sand beside the tidal pool was wet. I took one step and sunk really quickly. It sucked me just past my knees, but I got out by leaning sideways and grabbing at the dryer sand.

I have no idea how deep it was and how far I would have sunk if I had stayed still.

It must have looked pretty funny. To see someone suddenly engulfed in sand, rolling around, trying to get out.

But there was no one there. It was so cold and windy, the beach was deserted.

I’m going to be more careful now. I had never been sucked in so fast by quicksand before. I’d only experienced the shallow kind that you find while wading on sandbars.

I didn't even know there could be quicksand on the beach!

I had heard of it, but I’m a real beach bum and I’d never seen it before. Only the really shallow, not-very-suctiony kind. This stuff was scary.

I think it’s one of those things that can happen under the right conditions, like rip currents and undertows.

I do know about rip currents as they are very common down here and I have felt slight "sucking" of the sand at the beach but never thought of it as "quicksand".

Reactions: Urban Gardener
Today started out frosty cold, the little bird bath was frozen for the first time... Most of the day it was bright and cold...
Light rain started in the afternoon and continues... Sunshine is supposed to be back tomorrow...

I live in a flood-prone area. I have a dog and no car. The conversation about the landslide in Norway reminded me that I need to develop an evacuation plan. A solid one. Not, “I’ll rent a car” (What if there isn’t time?) or, “I’ll bum a ride.”

I should coordinate with neighbors now - designate one or two households that could give us a ride. People who have cars, are dog-friendly, yet don’t have pets of their own, and who would evacuate as quickly as I would like to were we to get a storm.

Something like Sandy could happen again. That was devastating for this area. So I don’t want to risk it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52