The Strawberry !

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
The UK strawberry season has kicked off and Waitrose and Sainsbury's are now selling these little wonders.
This wonder fruit has to be my absolute favourite.They alway remind me of the days when we would go strawberry picking and eat as much as we would buy !!!!

Strawberries are full of anti oxydants, are low carb so versatile and have the most perfect taste.
They freeze perfectly well when puréed and keep for months. They also make the perfect Daquiri cocktail or add a twist to a glass of Pimm's.

My favourite way of eating them is either just popping them into my mouth or when made into a creamy lucious ice cream - the perfect British summer dessert.

Strawberry smoothies and a strawberry tart are also on my most favourite sweet treats list .

images

00864801.jpg

Strawberries pair well with sliced kiwis when making a fruit salad.
Strawberries pair well with bananas when making a smoothie.
Strawberries and sliced mangoes make a chic dessert.
Strawberries and a few drops of Rosewater pair well with cream.
Strawberries pair well with rocket/aragula or baby spinach for a starter.
Strawberries taste better if you add a few drops of/and lemon and/or orange juice.
Strawberries taste better if you add a few drops of balsamic vinegar and sweetner before serving.
Strawberries and cheescake look elegant.
Strawberries taste better at room temperature.
Strawberries only freeze well if puréed.
Strawberries make wonderful jam.
Strawberries dipped in chocolate and chopped pistachios.
Puréed strawberry sauce drizzled over coconut ice cream.
Strawberries dipped in plain chocolate and chilled.
Strawberries, chopped and frozen whizzed up with yogurt make a soft ice cream.
Strawberries, sliced, marinated in lemon juice and balsamic vinegar with waffles.
A few strawberries on a slice of shortbread and a dollop of cream with a cup of tea.
Strawberries have virtually no waste and are easy to prepare.
Puréed strawberries make an elegant dessert when swirled into yogurt.
Strawberries and oatflakes make a perfect breakfast with yogurt and/or cream.
Strawberries are low in calories.
Strawberries make you feel happy !
Strawberries are magic.

http://www.britishsummerfruits.co.uk/html/news_may.htm

Oooh yes, I love proper British strawberries. Will probably go & pick some in a few weeks :)

Reactions: shyvas
I always stay stocked up on strawberries. I have baggies full of them in my freezer and a bowl of them in my fridge. The saddest thing about strawberries is when you buy a bad batch that end up tasteless.

Reactions: KLS52
Oooh I want to go strawberry picking and make some jam :)

Me too.
shyvas, are the strawberries in the UK just as good as the ones in the US? ;)

Yes, Amy they are. I have tasted California strawberries and they are succulent. British strawberries are a bit smaller and much sweeter.
Cheesecake stuffed strawberries and chocolate covered strawberries. :lick: Wonder how a chocolate covered, cheesecake filled strawberry would taste.
3fa931ab11077229b8a3636d8d0fc478.jpg

7aab09edbe372706836291f4a597906f.jpg

I saw these the other day. I wonder what they taste like ? They are very pretty indeed. :)

I always stay stocked up on strawberries. I have baggies full of them in my freezer and a bowl of them in my fridge. The saddest thing about strawberries is when you buy a bad batch that end up tasteless.[/quote]

Yes, sometimes they do need a little help. If you slice them, add a few drops of lemon and orange juice plus sweetener and leave them to marinate. I assure you that they always do taste good.:)

Ive just gotten some today!
Probably just have some cut up in a dish with a little dairyfree icecream and any left over will be a smoothie or as fairycake topping..mmm

Reactions: shyvas
I have a small pint in the fridge right now - first local of the season. They have wonderful fruit in Quebec/Southern Ontario. Strawberries that aren't small and local are never worth it.

I figured as much on a second read - but at first I was confused!

I don't actually like beer, so pint of strawberries beats a pint of strawberry beer. :up: