The man at the Embassy

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Julian Assange says he will 'accept arrest' on Friday if UN rules against him

Julian Assange says he will 'accept arrest' on Friday if UN rules against him.

The United Nations working group on arbitrary detention is set to hand down a determination on Assange’s case on Friday morning.

The decision is a last-ditch legal attempt by Assange for a ruling that his detention is arbitrary and unlawful. It rests on a challenge to the European extradition system, his inability to access the benefit of the grant of asylum by Ecuador, and what he argues is his long-term detention.

In a statement issued by WikiLeaks on Twitter, Assange said: “Should the UN announce tomorrow that I have lost my case against the United Kingdom and Sweden, I shall exit the embassy at noon on Friday to accept arrest by British police as there is no meaningful prospect of further appeal.

“However, should I prevail and the state parties be found to have acted unlawfully, I expect the immediate return of my passport and the termination of further attempts to arrest me.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think Assange is paranoid, then remember the words "Extraordinary Rendition". I live in Stockholm where two Egyptians Ahmed Agiza and Muhammed al-Zery were handed over to the US in 2001. A very black day for Sweden.

Whether or not Assange is guilty or not of what he's accused of would be very hard to prove, I would think. However, I would be surprised if the US didn't try to have him extradited if he were to end up in Sweden again. Or, if Sweden drops the case, I suppose the US could try to have him extradited directly from the UK? I forget exactly how the legal logic works in this case ...

While the BBC understands the panel will find in Mr Assange's favour, Wikileaks said it was waiting for "official confirmation".

The panel's ruling will not have any formal influence over the British and Swedish authorities and the UK Foreign Office said it still had an obligation to extradite Mr Assange.
More: UN panel 'rules in Julian Assange's favour' - BBC News (04. Feb. 2016)

US government jet lay in wait for Snowden in Copenhagen
A US government jet was lying in wait in Copenhagen to extradite the whistleblower Edward Snowden if he had come to Scandinavia after fleeing to Moscow in June 2013, the Danish government has revealed.

The twin-engined Gulfstream aircraft, which had previously been used to fly Abu Hamza to the US from the UK, landed shortly before the FBI called on Scandinavian police forces to arrest Snowden and hand him over for extradition.

The clear intention of the Danish government to cooperate with the US over Snowden suggested that Scandinavian governments “would probably do the same with Julian Assange”, were he to travel to Sweden to face rape allegations, Villumsen said. Assange’s insistence that he faces a risk of extradition was a central aspect of his appeal to the UN working group on arbitrary detention, which on Friday ruled in his favour.

Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where the WikiLeaks founder was granted refuge in 2012 while on bail in the UK over sexual assault allegations against him in Sweden.
More: Julian Assange arrested at Ecuadorian embassy in London (11. April 2019)

The Ecuadorian government had withdrawn his asylum.

The MPS had a duty to execute the warrant, on behalf of Westminster Magistrates' Court, and was invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum.
Source: Arrest update - SW1 (11. April 2019)

Last edited:
US authorities have now officially requested extradition, so now Assange is "further arrested" based on that. Meanwhile, Swedish authorities are considering whether or not to also request extradition again.

I'm thinking he will probably end up in a US prison before long.

I have no love for Assange. He helped the Republicans sabotage Hillary Clinton’s candidacy and make Trump’s stolen election possible.
I have no love for Hillary Clinton, but I do think both Assange personally and the Wikileaks organisation were used as tools by a foreign intelligence agency to influence the US elections to help Trump get elected. Wikileaks seems like a very idealistic organisation, and has helped uncover US war crimes in Iraq amongst other things, but ultimately their approach seems too naive and vulnerable to abuse by powerful state intelligence services.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Amy SF
I have no love for Assange. He helped the Republicans sabotage Hillary Clinton’s candidacy and make Trump’s stolen election possible.
I have no love for Hillary Clinton, but I do think both Assange personally and the Wikileaks organisation were used as tools by a foreign intelligence agency to influence the US elections to help Trump get elected. Wikileaks seems like a very idealistic organisation, and has helped uncover US war crimes in Iraq amongst other things, but ultimately their approach seems too naive and vulnerable to abuse by powerful state intelligence services.
FAKE NEWS!

• Disagree
Reactions: Lou
"The masses have never thirsted after truth. they turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; Whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim". -Gustav Le Bon

I just found out that Julian Assange was vaccinated without his consent, that is just disgusting, and it's disgusting that the people are allowing this to happen, something has to be done to stop these devils from tormenting him further, Free Assange Ought now be seen as a command directed at us rather than a slogan expressing that we would like him to be free not directed at any one in particular, or a desperate appeal to the psychopaths that are responsible for his imprisonment. I am advocating for breaking Assange out of prison as soon as possible. FREE ASSANGE!