Literature The Harry Potter Thread!

Muggle

Forum Legend
Reaction score
This is for discussions of the books and the new information released on Pottermore, not the films. :p I won't even talk about the musicals here, promise. :D

I thought it would be nice to have a place where us Potterheads could talk about the books. Is everybody ok with Pottermore discussions as well? I suppose we could always use spoilers for any of the new material. (Saying that, if anybody has been on Pottermore and would like to see the prefect welcome messages for the other houses with the new information and/or all the new information about the Hufflepuff common room then let me know. )

Anyway, I thought first discussion could be your favourite character and why?

That's a tricky question! Harry is actually a fairly boring character until the last three books. He isn't very funny, he is usually really calm and doesn't have much passion or react much to anything unless he's really provoked. If anything he is a foil to Hermione's passion and emotion and Ron's humour and jealousy. But as he grows from a boy to a man he emerges as a very brave, courteous, intelligent and giving person. I especially feel this in The Half-Blood Prince where the narrator and other characters, especially Dumbledore, begin treating him like a man. The relationship between Dumbledore and Harry is so sweet and touching.

I love Ron because I identify a lot with him. I struggle with jealousy too and with my brother having qualities that I want but will never have. I like that he gets the girl at the end instead of Harry, and how he is finally recognised as a hero along with his friends.

Hermione is probably the most similar to me. I was always top of the class and ridiculed for it, and I was a very strict stickler for the rules. Like her, I relaxed a bit as a got older.

Dumbledore is the typical mentor/father-figure who makes you feel safe because you can always go to him. I love that he had a really dark side which emerged as the books matured.

Hagrid is just adorable and very funny. He had some of the best one-liners.

Of the secondary characters I love Slughorn.

I do not like James Potter. Personally I'm with Snape and he was arrogant little man who thought he was better than he was. Not really a fan of Lupin, he seemed quite weak and didn't fit in with the group. I don't get the Snape love, he's a horrible person who picks on children and seems to be stuck in his own childhood.

Reactions: Muggle
That's a tricky question! Harry is actually a fairly boring character until the last three books. He isn't very funny, he is usually really calm and doesn't have much passion or react much to anything unless he's really provoked. If anything he is a foil to Hermione's passion and emotion and Ron's humour and jealousy.

I do not like James Potter. Personally I'm with Snape and he was arrogant little man who thought he was better than he was. Not really a fan of Lupin, he seemed quite weak and didn't fit in with the group. I don't get the Snape love, he's a horrible person who picks on children and seems to be stuck in his own childhood.

And thank god for that, his angry antics during the latter books really rustled my jimmies.

Although I liked Snape, mostly because he is one of the more complex character in the books.

And thank god for that, his angry antics during the latter books really rustled my jimmies.

Although I liked Snape, mostly because he is one of the more complex character in the books.

I can't read Order of the Phoenix because he is such an irritating little brat in it. It's the only one I've read once and could never get through again.

Ron Weasley. He grows so much and feels far more real than the other two. I have more reasons than that but feel like being succinct about him today. He's also the reason for my ginger fetish.

I can't believe I forgot Dobby! His loyalty was touching, his idol-worship of Harry was funny, and his strange grammar and speech was endearing. I really liked the affinity he had with Ron.

I bawled like a baby when he died.

I have only read the first four books, and that was about ten years ago. The 5th one was out soon, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Oh deary. I keep meaning to continue, but havent got round to it.

I have only read the first four books, and that was about ten years ago. The 5th one was out soon, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Oh deary. I keep meaning to continue, but havent got round to it.

I wouldn't recommend starting again with the 5th one, it's generally the most hated among fans. The 6th is my personal favourite though :D

If you can get hold of them without extortionate prices, the audiobooks read by Stephen Fry are amazing.

Without a doubt my favourite character is Luna. I love how she really doesn't give a monkey's about what people think of her. The twins come a close second.

Regarding Snape. I love Snape. Not as a person, he isn't a very nice person, but he is such an interesting character. Second time I read Deathly Hallows I cried my eyes out when I realised that he died looking in Lily's eyes.
cry2.gif

Also have a fascination with dear old Mouldy Voldy again because he's so interesting.

I've never really cared about the main 3 characters. I've always been more interested in the others. So other favourites are: Lupin, Sirius, Hagrid, McGonagall (mainly due to the new information about her on Pottermore), and Dumbledore.

Without a doubt my favourite character is Luna. I love how she really doesn't give a monkey's about what people think of her. The twins come a close second.

Regarding Snape. I love Snape. Not as a person, he isn't a very nice person, but he is such an interesting character. Second time I read Deathly Hallows I cried my eyes out when I realised that he died looking in Lily's eyes.
cry2.gif

Also have a fascination with dear old Mouldy Voldy again because he's so interesting.

I've never really cared about the main 3 characters. I've always been more interested in the others. So other favourites are: Lupin, Sirius, Hagrid, McGonagall (mainly due to the new information about her on Pottermore), and Dumbledore.

e91a953a_FistBump.gif

Totally forgot about Luna too.

How can you forget about Luna?!

I totally didn't name one of my dogs after Luna. Not at all. :innocent:

I'm sorry. :'(

She's like the person I should identify the most with though, even if I happen to be of the male gender.

Wait, does she end up with someone in the last book?

I'm sorry. :'(

She's like the person I should identify the most with though, even if I happen to be of the male gender.

Wait, does she end up with someone in the last book?

She ends up marrying Rolf Scamander who is the grandson of Newt Scamander the guy who wrote Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. They have twin sons called Lorcan and Lysander.
She married later than the other characters her age.

There was a slight hint that she might end up with Dean Thomas in the last book. Or rather Jo did say after it came out and in response to the fans that she could possibly see something happening with them (at least I think I remember reading something along those lines in a interview she did) but in the end that didn't happen.

EDIT:
Also, Luna, Rolf and Newt's job is the one I want if I could. Magizoologist! :cool:

I would've preferred Harry marrying Luna to Ginny. Ginny was too much of a Mary Sue, and there was always a current of something going on with Harry and Luna.

I would've preferred Harry marrying Luna to Ginny. Ginny was too much of a Mary Sue, and there was always a current of something going on with Harry and Luna.

Nah, I don't think that would've been right.

Always saw what they had as strictly platonic.

I don't like Ginny but I wouldn't wish Harry upon Luna in a million years. :p

Here we go:

Luna became a very famous wizarding naturalist who discovered and classified many new species of animals (though, alas, she never did find a Crumple-Horned Snorkack and had, finally, to accept that her father might have made that one up).
J.K. Rowling: She ended up marrying (rather later than Harry & co) a fellow naturalist and grandson of the great Newt Scamander (Rolf)!

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2007/0730-bloomsbury-chat.html

I'm going to step up and admit that I haven't read any of the books. I think when they came out, I was already an adult. I know many adults back them were big fans, but I never got around to reading them. Ok, ok..I looked up the date and I wasn't quite 18 yet when the first book was released, but in my defense, I had a 6 month old baby at home and was trying to graduate high school at the same time.

Anyway, I do plan on reading them. Soon even.

I was such a book worm when I was a kid, I don't know what the heck happened! :sob: