We've become a society of electronic addicts, and it's cost us our privacy

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Ads for mobile devices showcase the ease and convenience of using these devices for everything, from scheduling appointments, creating and storing this week's grocery list, making playlists of your favorite songs, paying bills, checking to see if your aunt’s flight from New York is on time, and so on. But every time you use these devices to access the internet or even just make a phone call, your personal information is compromised. This is known to everyone, and yet everyone loves the convenience of mobile devices and continues to buy them at a prodigious rate. Smartphones and tablet sales have now outpaced computer sales, even laptops, which causes some observers to predict the imminent death of computers. Why is it so hard for people today to cut the electronic cord when they know the government is listening and watching and their personal information could be, and is, stolen at any time? Why has simple letter writing become almost obsolete? Is it that electronic device users are so used to the instantaneous speed of communication that waiting a few days to communicate with each other with handwritten notes is unthinkable now? They’d rather have their personal information spied on? Even using a cellphone to call the airline to ask about your aunt's flight from New York is tracked, but fewer and fewer people have landline phones these days, and checking the airline's website to see the flight's schedule is preferable to navigating your way through an automated phone system and then being put on hold for an eternity if you want to talk to a human.

There are books published that contain correspondence from notable historical figures and from plain, ordinary people. This is history, this is literature, this is insight into what people in previous eras have thought, have done, have said, have felt. Even just opening that trunk you found in the attic and discovering the letters your grandpa sent to your grandma while he was serving in the military has special meaning for you. What will future historians do when such letters have vanished from civilization because nobody writes letters anymore? How will they know what today's notables have to say when all they can find, if they can find, are brief Twitter messages that don't really convey much?

So people in 21st century America and elsewhere prefer convenience over loss of privacy. Discuss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Second Summer
I don't agree that people do not write meaningful things to each other nowadays, online or otherwise.

The lack of tangibility and the fact that those conversations often are more exclusive to your own possession may see to that they don't last very long at all, however.

you're right Amy, I think Indian Summer should shut this website down, and operate on a hand written or typewriter written bases....we can all send IS letters, and he can compile them into a monthly bulletin, which he will send out to all of use....I think it will bump the price up.....but historians in300 years time can see people's recipes for dumplings, and read debates about sexism, from this board. :p

I'm not saying we should all become Luddites, get rid of all electronic devices and go back to more low-tech forms of communication. But we've become so addicted and so used to electronic devices that we cannot function without them.

In 1985, when the x-ray department of the hospital where I was working switched over to computers from typewriters, there were growing pains, and more than once the computer system shut down. We transcribers still had our typewriters, so we went back to using them until the computers were back up. We knew how to use the typewriters and had paper and had no problem getting the reports out. The other workers in the department were able to function with a low tech backup system as well because they had only recently stopped using it.

If that happened today, the entire department would screech to a halt and nothing would get done. Everything is digital and computerized. Society relies so much on electronic devices now that younger generations don't know how to function without them. It doesn't occur to them that they can go low tech, and how, if they absolutely had to.

maybe you saw this:

Russia's agency responsible for the Kremlin security is buying typewriters - a move reportedly prompted by recent leaks by WikiLeaks and Edward Snowden.

A 486,540-rouble (£9,860) order for electric typewriters has been placed by the FSO agency on the state procurement website.

The FSO has not commented on why it needs the old-fashioned devices.

But an agency source told Russia's Izvestiya newspaper the aim was to prevent leaks from computer hardware.

"After scandals with the distribution of secret documents by WikiLeaks, the exposes by Edward Snowden, reports about Dmitry Medvedev being bugged during his visit to the G20 London summit (in 2009), it has been decided to expand the practice of creating paper documents," the source said.

The source added that typewriters were already being used at Russia's defence and emergencies ministries for drafts and secret notes, and some reports had been prepared for President Vladimir Putin by typewriter.
BBC News - Kremlin security agency to buy typewriters 'to avoid leaks'

I, for one, have no desire to go back to paper, pencil and stamps - or landlines! I love being able to text my friends and not feel tied to a land line to communicate. I certainly don't feel "addicted" to anything - I turn my phone off when I don't care to be disturbed. But the conveniences are life-changing! I love being able to watch the weather radar when storms come in, or find directions to anywhere I need to go. I can take pictures, read a book, jot something on my grocery or to-do list, get inspired by pinterest or craft gawker, look up artists or music I hear about in passing, catch up on news, deposit a check - all on my phone. It's such a time saver!

I love the modern world! And I am one who spent the first 10 years of my life without a TV! :D I can remember party line telephones and listening to AM radio. I read books by the stack and today LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact I can have literally thousands of books on my tablet. I communicate much more with family living far away via Facebook than I ever could have just a few years ago. I am thrilled that I can access TONS of information with no virtually no effort... a few typed words into Google and it magically appears. Maybe I am addicted to the internet but I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I'm sure I have a mild addiction. Sometimes it bothers me. Mostly it doesn't. It's up to the individual to use common sense and not let it get out of hand. I've been around family/friends who can't go an hour without doing something on their phone, even during family get togethers. There is a certain amount of rudeness that goes with that. That's something I'd like to see less of. But I wouldn't want to go back to a less technological era. I love having access to the Internet at the drop of a hat.

I agree that there is some rudeness involved with cellphone use. It irritates me when I am a cashier and the customer is on the phone during the whole transaction. I feel I am being rude to interrupt them to do my job when they should have the courtesy to say "hold on for a second". And I just love hearing people's private conversations! LOL

I truly enjoy the ability to research new subjects anytime I wish, all the new authors I'm experiencing with eBooks, and the ability to pop in a DVD and watch a movie (I don't stream - too low a bandwidth). Plus I like the limited social interaction I have online. However I don't like the increased lack of privacy, and being constantly within range of someone who wishes to find you (cell phones).

Sometime in the near future I'm going to be living on land with absolutely no access to the power grid and only limited cell phone coverage. Unless I decide to spend the money on solar I'm going to be operating on very limited electrical power, and if my parents pass I'll probably drop my cellphone contract, as I dislike cellphones and staying in touch with my parents is the main reason I have one. My only access to the net is going to be during my occasional visits to the library, which is about 20 miles away.

So I'm going to be living a life separate from the electronic babble. With just my books, my dog and my hobbies.

-I will go solar at least far enough so I'll have lights - reading with a lantern or flashlight isn't very handy - though I have done it for a month or more at a time, and I could adjust to being a daytime liver.