Literature The Harry Potter Thread!

I tend to be late to the party, Mel. It really turns me off when stuff is hyped up. Luckily for me I read the first ones before everything kicked off and they became famous, or I probably wouldn't have read them either.

I tend to be late to the party, Mel. It really turns me off when stuff is hyped up. Luckily for me I read the first ones before everything kicked off and they became famous, or I probably wouldn't have read them either.

I tend to never become a superfan of anything, probably for the same reason.

But I will read these. Just don't expect me to become a Potterhead or join Pottermore. It's too late for me to become part of the all-important beta crowd anyway. :p

Strange that it's already been 15 years since the first book was released. According to Wikipedia the release date was June 30th, 1997, so the 15th anniversary is in 5 days. :)

Feels like I just started hearing about them very recently.

It was between The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Goblet of Fire that they became popular. GOF was the first one with queues outside the bookshops on publishing day.

I don't remember life without HP :p

It was between The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Goblet of Fire that they became popular. GOF was the first one with queues outside the bookshops on publishing day.

I don't remember life without HP :p

You're a bit younger than me if I recall. I'm pushing 33.

Sorry for thread jacking, Annia. Back to you. :wave::smitten:

You're a bit younger than me if I recall. I'm pushing 33.

Sorry for thread jacking, Annia. Back to you. :wave::smitten:

It's not thread jacking! :D

I was 6 or 7 when I first read it. (It came out when I was 6 but I can't exactly remember when I first read it. It was definitely before October 1998 because I remember re-reading it over Halloween and getting very freaked out about the troll in the dungeon which didn't scare me the first time I read it )

I was reading Archie comics at that age, in English. I had only learned to read French at that point in school and I taught myself to read English.

I basically grew up reading those and Sweet Valley High books. :oops:

Because I am such a geek my summer project is to get hold of some a5 ring binders, print off something awesome to cover them with and then print off all the new information on Pottermore and have a ring binder for each book filled with it. :cool:

This.

I despised Harry Potter before I'd read it, purely because of the hype. Oh, how wrong I was. It was an important life lesson in trying new things...

... Which was promptly undone when I read Twilight.

I'm all for romance, but I don't necessarily think Harry needed to get any girl for the books to end happily. I liked that Ron and Hermione confessed their feelings, which were obvious for ages, but all of them were young, they didn't need to get hitched and knocked up right off the get-go to have fulfilling lives after school. :(

But I liked Ginny anyway. She was cool and mellow and just a generally smart chick.

I liked all the characters pretty much. Sirius was frustrating, Remus was sad... I really liked Mcgonagall because she was such a grown-up, but a good one. I liked Fred and George.

I don't think people would have been happy without knowing where Harry ended up, hence the final chapter. If he had married a girl we didn't know, fans would have hated that. I don't think Ginny was the best choice, personally, but most people were happy with it.

I've now read the first three books! We've been watching the movies after each book I've read, and then I decided I wanted to watch all the movies since I was making my family wait.

I'm still going to read all the books because I've noticed that they leave a lot out in the movies, so I don't always get 100% of what's going on.

I have to say, I never thought I'd say that I'd become a HP fan in my 30's. I'm enjoying the books much more than I thought I would. :)

Reactions: AeryFairy
I don't know anything about Harry Potter, but I recently went here:
http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/
Lucky! I want a wand!

Unfortunately the butterbeer isn't vegan. :( And I was dismayed, but not surprised, to find out the same thing about the Bertie Bott's Every-Flavor Beans when I first went (Jelly Belly isn't vegan).

ETA: Good God! I just went to the obnoxious flash website and apparently they sell Pygmy Puffs! <3

Yeah, the butter beer isn't vegan as it's made with whey. They sell actual beer, too, though. :p

ETA: My boyfriend went home with a wand.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
I'd love to go there sometime. Most theme parks are so obviously trying to get cash out of you that it's not funny, but this one seems legit enough, even though it no doubt has the same goals.

Plus the website's music made me nostalgic. :cry:

Lucky! I want a wand!

Unfortunately the butterbeer isn't vegan. :( And I was dismayed, but not surprised, to find out the same thing about the Bertie Bott's Every-Flavor Beans when I first went (Jelly Belly isn't vegan).

ETA: Good God! I just went to the obnoxious flash website and apparently they sell Pygmy Puffs! <3

The butterbeer at the harry potter movie studio thing over here is vegan :D I had one when I went. I also came home with a Gryffindor scarf and a Hogwarts express passport holder.

I'd love to go there sometime. Most theme parks are so obviously trying to get cash out of you that it's not funny, but this one seems legit enough, even though it no doubt has the same goals.

Plus the website's music made me nostalgic. :cry:
It's definitely a business, but it was pretty cool. I liked the 3d experience ride, and the line for it was neat even though I've never seen/read Harry Potter. The paintings and all talked to each other and stuff. Pretty neat.