The Give Us Short People Some Love Thread

I'm average height (5'9"), but I think short people ROCK (quite a few of them, anyway)! My coolest cousin is quite short (Maybe 5' tops?)- it's too bad we're blood relatives because I would have liked to marry her. We get along great. Someone involved in training at work has a terrific personality, and just makes the place come alive when she's in charge, and she's maybe an inch taller than my cousin.

Reactions: Amy SF
All of my cousins are taller than me- all 18 of them. Tall they are. I seem to have got the short gene.

I was 5'2 1/2" when the high school driver ed teacher measured us for our driving licenses, but I've shrunk more than an inch in the decades since.

I did the Public Reach today, standing on the lowest shelf to reach the highest.

I am about 5 ft. tall but I claim 5'1" when I am wearing shoes. :D It is a pain being short sometimes. Pants and sleeves are always too long and I have to climb to reach stuff. Most 12 year olds tower over me! Except Haley who is going to be petite like me! :D And I hate that Randy Newman song!

Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
I had dog class one summer for kids. A 12 year old boy was also named Mikkel. My co-instructor thought it was small to call him "small Mikkel". He stood then beside me an asked her who she really ment. :p

I have to call co-workers from time to time because of the reach...

I did a really weird public reach today. I wanted some chips but the flavour I wanted was at the back of the top shelf, behind all the other bags. I didnt want to climb as the shelves looked too flimsy for climbing.

So I ended up getting a tall can of Pringles chips and stood on my toes and tried to drag the chip bag out... not easy so I had to push them all around a bit with the can to get them out of the way.

Finally, Pringle Can retrieved the bag and pulled it to the front of the shelf and I grabbed it.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
It's funny because I never have the issue of sleeves being too long. Think I have long arms.

A couple of times at work people have asked me to get things from the top shelf for them. When they're taller than me? I'm just like...really? Me?!

For some reason people think taller than I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freesia
Only short people can understand going to stupid lengths like that.

Yeah, I have to use "tools" to reach things too. If they're on the top shelf in some stores, but not at the front of the shelf (stock is low), I often have to stand on the bottom shelf, plus use other merchandise to maneuver what I want toward the front of the shelf.

I had to climb on the shelf and do a Public Reach to get something off the top shelf in the supermarket yesterday. :rolleyes: I have one of those grabbers and keep thinking I should take it to the store with me, but I never remember.

"Public Reach"? Is this an actual term for shorties? I like it! I tend to have my tall husband and daughter with me (well, taller than me I should say), so I don't often have to do a weird public reach.

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
I can't identify with much of this so maybe I'm not short.:D My mother is short as she is only 5 feet tall.

I have often asked other shoppers or workers at Publix to reach something on the top shelf for me. I have also been known to stand on the bottom shelf! I have on of those "reacher/grabber" things at home but I never remember to use it. I use utensils like a long spoon to push things sometimes.
My granddaughter, Haley, is the smallest girl on her softball team and since there is another Haley.... she is "Little Haley."

"Public Reach"? Is this an actual term for shorties? I like it! I tend to have my tall husband and daughter with me (well, taller than me I should say), so I don't often have to do a weird public reach.

Unfortunately we shorties aren't always going to have a taller person with us when we're shopping to help us avoid the public reach, which is why when we go shopping we're either wearing climbing shoes haha or asking a stranger for help.

I remember one time I was in Barnes & Noble looking for a specific book. I saw it on the top shelf - too high for me to reach. Fortunately the store had a stepstool nearby - but a customer was sitting on it, reading! I had to ask him (politely) to relinquish it so I could stand on it. He was very nice about giving it up. :)

Last edited:
I am about 5 ft. tall but I claim 5'1" when I am wearing shoes. :D It is a pain being short sometimes. Pants and sleeves are always too long and I have to climb to reach stuff. Most 12 year olds tower over me! Except Haley who is going to be petite like me! :D And I hate that Randy Newman song!

I always thought that song was funny. People with dwarfism weren't amused, until Newman's fans had to point out that, given the kind of songs he wrote, it was actually an attack on bigotry by picking a rather unusual target.

Reactions: Mischief
I suppose I'm lucky to have grown up with a brother who is 6'4, ;)I could always just bug him to reach things for me. Sadly, he's attending a university now, and I have no one to reach the cereal boxes on the top shelf for me. So usually what I'll do it stand on top of the bottom shelf and wiggle the box closer to the edge where I can knock is down in my hands. Works every time though, lol.

Last edited:
i recently was in a petrol garage and a little kid couldnt reach the top shelf of the fridge so asked me to get a can of coke for him.... i felt so tall! apparently the look on my face after was classic. so what i encouraged a 10 year old to drink coke, i could reach something someone else couldnt!