The faux meat thread

I'm going to give this high marks for concept. Low marks for execution.
Pringles flavored chicken fries? Does Original Pringles even have a flavor?

Oh, wait. I wonder... I remember my mom had a recipe for fried chicken that uses potato chips as the coating?

I don't think that is the case here but that might be worth exploring. And since this is Kellogg, how about a corn flakes coating - I always liked those.

I think the big food processing companies should be trying for new things not imitating old things. but until they do that maybe some novel combinations might be good.
i've coated tofu with crushed potato chips, or corn chips, from the bottom of the bag. What I like is that there is enough oil in them to bake crispy
I was thinking tofu tonight, but have no chips :rolleyes: . Haven't done that in a long time!

i've coated tofu with crushed potato chips, or corn chips, from the bottom of the bag. What I like is that there is enough oil in them to bake crispy
I was thinking tofu tonight, but have no chips :rolleyes: . Haven't done that in a long time!
Oh! that's clever. Do you dip the tofu in anything before you roll it in the chips? do you do it in the air fryer? How many minutes?

I just crushed the remaining chips in the bag and shook tofu cubes in it--they would have just been wet
Salt and vinegar chips tofu :drool:

Here are some more potato chip flavor inspired for plant based chicken fries or just baked crispy tofu.

Kettle Backyard BBQ
Forager cheesy greens
Ruffles Tapatito
Lays Limon
Kettle Maple Bacon
Ruffles All Dressed
Plentils Dill and Sour cream
Sabritos Chile and Lime

1. eat chips
2. save crumbs for baking.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I just crushed the remaining chips in the bag and shook tofu cubes in it--they would have just been wet
Salt and vinegar chips tofu :drool:
Reminds me of a delicacy from my homeland.
Crisp butties.
(for non brits, that's chips on 2 slices of buttered bread).
It's late here, but now I want one.
Salt and vinegar crisps, vegan butter, white bread), nom nom...

I'm going to give this high marks for concept. Low marks for execution.
Pringles flavored chicken fries? Does Original Pringles even have a flavor?

Oh, wait. I wonder... I remember my mom had a recipe for fried chicken that uses potato chips as the coating?

I don't think that is the case here but that might be worth exploring. And since this is Kellogg, how about a corn flakes coating - I always liked those.

I think the big food processing companies should be trying for new things not imitating old things. but until they do that maybe some novel combinations might be good.
I'd try them if they ever came to Australia.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Crisp butties.
Thank you for a good laugh-- I needed that!
I would never, ever have thought of that 😹 which is maybe why it was funny?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and g0rph
Crisp butties.
I love those foods separately, but I don't know if I'd like them together. Besides, even though I'm veg, every now and then my diet has a bit too much fat.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Crisp butties.
Never called anything a buttie--but I do love the word :up:
I haven't just had crisps on bread, but I've had many a work lunch were the vegan sandwich was nothing buy raw veg like cukes tomato and lettuce with a side bag of chips. Only way it was tasty was to smash the chips in the bun

It’s all pretty grim. But by choosing vegan chicken, consumers can have their nuggets and eat them, too—without many of the welfare and environmental implications. And that’s why the vegan chicken market is seriously heating up. From fast-food giants to meat industry titans, it seems everyone wants a piece of this growing market.​

I find myself being turned off, more and more, by faux meats. Even ones I thought I liked like Gardein or Boca. I have a hard time with them now. Quorn is still my favorite but it's hard to get the vegan stuff. I do indulge in the vegetarian Quorn on occasion.

I prefer the soy curls and Seitan.

I find myself being turned off, more and more, by faux meats. Even ones I thought I liked like Gardein or Boca. I have a hard time with them now. Quorn is still my favorite but it's hard to get the vegan stuff. I do indulge in the vegetarian Quorn on occasion.

I prefer the soy curls and Seitan.
I still love the Gardein 7-grain tenders and the Boca or Aldi chik'n patties. I prefer making my own proteins, though, and I, too, love soy curls and seitan. Soy curls have been a game changer for me.

I got really turned off by soy curls. After two rather meh seitan loaves I don't know that I'll that anytime soon--well, Thanksgiving I'll make the same one.
I do tend to really love a faux meat thing, then have it again and not so much. Been like that esp with Impossible burgers. One a month is good though.
I love Aldi meatless balls with pasta

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I got really turned off by soy curls. After two rather meh seitan loaves I don't know that I'll that anytime soon--well, Thanksgiving I'll make the same one.
I do tend to really love a faux meat thing, then have it again and not so much. Been like that esp with Impossible burgers. One a month is good though.
I love Aldi meatless balls with pasta
Agree on the Aldi meatless balls. I forgot about them, hehe. They are so tasty. I like to make a meatless ball grinder with them, too.

Over here we have Field Roast Plant-Based Roasts. . A Seattle brand. It used to be you could only find them in grocery stores in November and December. but now I see at least the Sage and Garlic version year round. Haven't tried the Hazelnut and Cranberry version, yet. Maybe this year.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15