The Everything Thanksgiving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuffing!
I bought Brownberry stuffing mix-it's vegan! Celery, onion, mushroom, apple, dried cranberries (a bit) wild rice---YAY! :clap:

Waldorf salad- Apples, pineapple chunks, thin sliced celery, seedless grapes, toasted walnuts, some very thin cabbage (or bagged cole slaw) with a dressing of mayo made with sweetened, or vanilla soymilk, oil and lemon juice!

Cranberry sauce! Cranberries, white sugar and water--recipe on bag! (I'm a purist-- no OJ, or brown sugar, or spices here!)

Sweet potatoes--baked with EB.

Trader Joes organic corn.

Mashed potatoes with garlic cooked in olive oil.
Mushroom gravy for mashed potatoes.
Waldorf salad sounds like a great idea! My family might actually like that.
I will be going to a brother's house and will bring most of my food because he cooks everything in butter and cream and whatnot.
So, I am making chickpea cutlets with a mustard dressing, green beans, dill carrots, cranberry sauce (the same way you make it, silva. I love the basic recipe!), garlic mashed potatoes and squash-apple bake.
I also will make an apple pie, cranberry nut bread and fudge.

I've been informed that the cranberry sauce I like is actually cranberry relish. I make it the same way my grandma has always made it: A bag of thawed cranberries, zest from half a large orange, and the peeled segments from half an orange, in the food processor until mixed (but still chunky); add sugar to taste.

My husband prefers the jellied sauce that comes in a can, which we call The Purple Slug.

I've been informed that the cranberry sauce I like is actually cranberry relish. I make it the same way my grandma has always made it: A bag of thawed cranberries, zest from half a large orange, and the peeled segments from half an orange, in the food processor until mixed (but still chunky); add sugar to taste.

My husband prefers the jellied sauce that comes in a can, which we call The Purple Slug.
I call your kind cranberry "sauce" too, and yay for you adding the zest. Lol at Purple Slug, my daughter loves that can-shaped stuff. :D

It has become a tradition for me to open both ends of a can, and for Husband to stand watching as I shake The Slug out of the can onto a plate. He gets so excited about it!

It kind of works out, though, he gets to eat the entire Slug and I eat the whole bowl of cranberry-orange deliciousness.

Purple Slug is delicious. I make my own using the same basic recipe as Silva and PTree but I also NEED to have some Purple Slug. My treat of HFCS! :D

Purple Slug is delicious. I make my own using the same basic recipe as Silva and PTree but I also NEED to have some Purple Slug. My treat of HFCS! :D
Lol, I like the Purple Slug as well sometimes, but lately, I've just been so fond of the homemade kind :D I like the chunky parts.

Another vote for the Purple Slug. I would love the fresh chunky style if it weren't for cranberry skins...I can't deal with that and I don't believe I ever tried to peel a cranberry, lol.

Reactions: thefadedone
That is an incredibly wonderful collection of recipes! Thanks.

I'm still not on Pinterest. It seems so so so intimidating and LARGE! However perhaps I really need to join.

Thanks. You absolutely should join. It's a blast and a nice way to save recipes and all sorts of things you're interested in.

Another vote for the Purple Slug. I would love the fresh chunky style if it weren't for cranberry skins...I can't deal with that and I don't believe I ever tried to peel a cranberry, lol.

My daughter loves the purple slug as well. Actually I do too. You can't beat the taste.

Reactions: thefadedone
TEN THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR ON THANKSGIVING DAY:

1. You made it to another Thanksgiving Day relatively intact.
2. Nobody expects you to cook the turkey.
3. Romney lost.
4. You're off the hook for buying Christmas presents this year because you're flat broke and out of a job and everyone tells you it's okay, don't worry about it, they don't need a lot of extra stuff or anything anyway (and they mean it, too).
5. VeggieViews.com
6. You got a great discounted deal on wine and beer at the drugstore or supermarket and plan to drink yourself into a stupor because that's the best way to avoid having to clean up, watch football, and/or listen to your loud, obnoxious uncle dump all over Obama.
7. Spring is just four months away.
8. God/Jesus/Buddha/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Zarathustra/Zeus/Ceiling Cat/Shiva/Freya/Quetzelcoatl/Mother Earth all love you.
9. Leftovers.
10. Farm Sanctuary's Adopt a Turkey Project. http://www.farmsanctuary.org/giving/adopt-a-turkey/

Like it Amy SF.

Your Farm Sanctuary mention made me very sad. For the second year in a row I'm not going due to some family issues that were going on. I did finally decide I might go and asked for the day off too late in October and the front office were total jerks to me about it. I was discussing getting the day off with my director of nursing and two people who have nothing to do with scheduling started butting in. I finally said "forget it it!" Hopefully next year. I'm off the traditional Thanksgiving day and I'll stay home and make a Field Roast probably.

This probably should go in the Gripe Thread.....

Thanks. You absolutely should join. It's a blast and a nice way to save recipes and all sorts of things you're interested in.
It looks like you can save others collections is that right? I was going to join but all my user name choices were taken, so I have to keep thinking.

It looks like you can save others collections is that right? I was going to join but all my user name choices were taken, so I have to keep thinking.

Absolutely. You can follow as many boards as you like. Good luck with the name search!:)

TEN THINGS TO BE THANKFUL FOR ON THANKSGIVING DAY:

1. You made it to another Thanksgiving Day relatively intact.
2. Nobody expects you to cook the turkey.
3. Romney lost.
4. You're off the hook for buying Christmas presents this year because you're flat broke and out of a job and everyone tells you it's okay, don't worry about it, they don't need a lot of extra stuff or anything anyway (and they mean it, too).
5. VeggieViews.com
6. You got a great discounted deal on wine and beer at the drugstore or supermarket and plan to drink yourself into a stupor because that's the best way to avoid having to clean up, watch football, and/or listen to your loud, obnoxious uncle dump all over Obama.
7. Spring is just four months away.
8. God/Jesus/Buddha/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Zarathustra/Zeus/Ceiling Cat/Shiva/Freya/Quetzelcoatl/Mother Earth all love you.
9. Leftovers.
10. Farm Sanctuary's Adopt a Turkey Project. http://www.farmsanctuary.org/giving/adopt-a-turkey/

:up:

This recipe holds promise. I usually make a wild mushroom pot pie for my main dish, but I could see this being a good alternative, for Thanksgiving or otherwise

Festive Chickpea Tart
I am so excited about this recipe, thank you! It's exactly what I was looking for, as one young guest invited for Thanksgiving who's a picky eater loves pie crust and chickpeas, so this will surely be a winner.

I'm also planning to get a tofurkey (or one of the gardein ones if Whole Foods has it). Side dishes are yum, not worried about them. :D, but I am a little nervous about the vegan thanksgiving with a few omnis coming. My mom is going to my sister's, which makes it way easier. :cool:

Reactions: GingerFoxx
I want the roasted beets and the pumpkin apple nog. :yes:

ETA: Oh yeah, and the stuffed pumpkin...I bought two! :)

Reactions: sallyomally
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because there's none of the hype (as much as I love it) that comes with Christmas. We may overdo it with too much food, but there's a lot less stress and less of a let-down once it's over. The day after Christmas is probably the most depressing day of the year for me because I love the "season" so much...more so than the actual day.

Status
Not open for further replies.