The Everything Thanksgiving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three words: Three Sisters Stew

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1326775-three-sisters-stew-moosewood.html

The 3 main ingredients are beans, corn and squash, the three most important crops of the Native Americans. This is perfect for Thanksgiving dinner, or any time during the fall and winter months, as it has a good, hearty, rich flavor to it, fills you up, and warms you all over. Although if you google Three Sisters Stew you will find many different versions of the recipe, the above recipe is the one I'm most familiar with; I first encountered it when my sister made it for Thanksgiving, although that year she said she used a little too much water and it came out more as a soup than a stew. It's a good entrée for veg*ans and a side dish for omnis (because as you know omnis will insist on having their dead animals on the table, but at least this is a painless way of introducing them to really good veggie food).

I want to somehow pull off a pumpkin stew cooked in a pumpkin. I am scared though because I have never done that before and I do not know where we will be going yet.

What I want to do: Stay home and cook a simple meal of cornbread stuffing, Field Roast, homemade mashed potato with mushroom gravy, and steamed green beans.

What I will probably have to do: Go to two different Thanksgiving meals, one of which is over two hours away, where I will have to spend the entire day and have not much to eat.

I really hate holidays.
:brood:

I want to somehow pull off a pumpkin stew cooked in a pumpkin. I am scared though because I have never done that before and I do not know where we will be going yet.

I want to make something in a pumpkin, too...I'm going to try and do a trial run first and maybe use my co-workers to test it out.

What I want to do: Stay home and cook a simple meal of cornbread stuffing, Field Roast, homemade mashed potato with mushroom gravy, and steamed green beans.

What I will probably have to do: Go to two different Thanksgiving meals, one of which is over two hours away, where I will have to spend the entire day and have not much to eat.

I really hate holidays.
:brood:

That's terrible...you should be able to do what you want. Considering your recent health issues, couldn't you use that as an excuse to beg off, at least this year?

Stuffing!
I bought Brownberry stuffing mix-it's vegan! Celery, onion, mushroom, apple, dried cranberries (a bit) wild rice---YAY! :clap:

Waldorf salad- Apples, pineapple chunks, thin sliced celery, seedless grapes, toasted walnuts, some very thin cabbage (or bagged cole slaw) with a dressing of mayo made with sweetened, or vanilla soymilk, oil and lemon juice!

Cranberry sauce! Cranberries, white sugar and water--recipe on bag! (I'm a purist-- no OJ, or brown sugar, or spices here!)

Sweet potatoes--baked with EB.

Trader Joes organic corn.

Mashed potatoes with garlic cooked in olive oil.
Mushroom gravy for mashed potatoes.

When I was growing up, we never made a big fuss over Thanksgiving. Either we went to see relatives out of state, or we'd stay home and *maybe* my mum would make something festive. I was always kinda bummed we didn't do more. Then, about five years ago, after I moved out of my mum's place, I decided to start a tradition of making a vegetarian/vegan thanksgiving from scratch. I attached a picture of one such feast. I am not feeling very spirited this year, but hopefully that will change.

Attachments

• 112609 004a.jpg
    112609 004a.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 224
That's terrible...you should be able to do what you want. Considering your recent health issues, couldn't you use that as an excuse to beg off, at least this year?

They're going to want me there so they can be thankful I'm there, or something. My mom (two hours away) and my MIL (here in town) have already told me they want to see me on thanksgiving. Sigh.

They're going to want me there so they can be thankful I'm there, or something. My mom (two hours away) and my MIL (here in town) have already told me they want to see me on thanksgiving. Sigh.
I wondered if it wasn't something like that. :hug:

Too bad they can't come to you and bring along some food. Would be a lot easier on you so you don't have to travel. Although maybe it might be more stressful to have them at your place?

Reactions: sallyomally
Three words: Three Sisters Stew

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vegetarian-forum/1326775-three-sisters-stew-moosewood.html

The 3 main ingredients are beans, corn and squash, the three most important crops of the Native Americans. This is perfect for Thanksgiving dinner, or any time during the fall and winter months, as it has a good, hearty, rich flavor to it, fills you up, and warms you all over. Although if you google Three Sisters Stew you will find many different versions of the recipe, the above recipe is the one I'm most familiar with; I first encountered it when my sister made it for Thanksgiving, although that year she said she used a little too much water and it came out more as a soup than a stew. It's a good entrée for veg*ans and a side dish for omnis (because as you know omnis will insist on having their dead animals on the table, but at least this is a painless way of introducing them to really good veggie food).

:drool::lick:

Stuffing and cranberry sauce! I'm not a purist, apparently, cause I love oj and zest in my cranberry sauce, and brown sugar, and maple syrup if I'm feeling extravagant. :D And sweet potato slices baked with sliced apples, EB and maple syrup. Man do I love maple syrup. And the obligatory mashed potatoes and gravy, but I make that all year round, the other things I forgot about until Thanksgiving and then I think, "why don't I make this more often, I frickin love it!

I'd really rather just skip Thanksgiving altogether - for the history aspect (killing of American Indians) as well as I don't want to be around a turkey carcass. Gah.
For the last several years, we've traveled a couple hours to retirement home where my grandmother lives; we eat in the main dining room, and while they have really good cooks there and the food is always good, I can hardly eat anything they prepare on Thanksgiving. I've been flustered a bit because I can't cook something ahead of time and take it with me, too much hassle. So I usually just eat from the salad bar, having a piece of pumpkin pie and if I get hungry later, I make a sandwich or something.

If we were doing something here at the house, I'd cook a bunch of good veggie food (though there would be a WHOLE turkey on the table, for the rest of the family, as opposed to only sliced stuff on plates at the home) and have the picture of the turkey that I adopted from Farm Sanctuary sitting on the table.

I just want to adopt a turkey, eat stuffing and pie, and veg out in my pajamas. I don't ask for much. :D

Reactions: sallyomally
I'd really rather just skip Thanksgiving altogether - for the history aspect (killing of American Indians) as well as I don't want to be around a turkey carcass. Gah.
For the last several years, we've traveled a couple hours to retirement home where my grandmother lives; we eat in the main dining room, and while they have really good cooks there and the food is always good, I can hardly eat anything they prepare on Thanksgiving. I've been flustered a bit because I can't cook something ahead of time and take it with me, too much hassle. So I usually just eat from the salad bar, having a piece of pumpkin pie and if I get hungry later, I make a sandwich or something.

If we were doing something here at the house, I'd cook a bunch of good veggie food (though there would be a WHOLE turkey on the table, for the rest of the family, as opposed to only sliced stuff on plates at the home) and have the picture of the turkey that I adopted from Farm Sanctuary sitting on the table.

I just want to adopt a turkey, eat stuffing and pie, and veg out in my pajamas. I don't ask for much. :D

:)

Last year we did our vegan feast at my boyfriend's house, and we did it to coincide with Columbus Day, which is Canadian Thanksgiving. It made me feel a bit better because 1) My boyfriend's father is Canadian and 2) It made the celebration more about the harvest time, and less about acknowledging a holiday with such awful roots. The way we treated native Americans was deplorable, This year, I just didn't get my stuff together in time to celebrate in October. My boyfriend's mum is doing a traditional spread, which unfortunately means tragic bird carcass, but I plan to bring a lot of my standard dishes so all bases are covered.

Reactions: Rosie1
Status
Not open for further replies.