The Everything Oatmeal thread

I always use it as intended, when I think something was informative or it's information I didn't know. :) Never any sarcasm intended. :)
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. I'm also pretty much literal and usually mean what I say. But I have learned that people use a lot of sarcasm and tease each others, and I can never be sure. 😅

Dr Greger has had a few videos recently about oatmeal and its benefits, especially for lowering blood sugar levels... here are 3 of them

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
It is time I go back to oatmeal, I think, so that I will get it again, after stopping it when days were getting much warmer and I ran out, and just changed to having cold cereal. But I feel much better with having oatmeal, and have been missing it, with fruit I put into it, and other things I want, that do not go into cold cereal or anything else.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I have Vega protein powder, I almost exclusively use it at the times of the year I would likely make oatmeal, or hot chocolate, that I would add a spoon or so of the protein powder to. There isn't much more I would want to add any to. I mean I have tried it with other things, like nondairy ice cream, but I was not continuing to do so. I became more comfortable that my body was not needing so much more protein with just not having any from animals. I now have oatmeal again, along with that powder and the oat milk, I have it with cut up dates, ginger, nutmeg, and agave nectar.

Last edited:
This is different.
Savory Oatmeal
Some recipes.

Since finding these sprouted rolled oats at Costco I've been microwaving them with water in the morning rather than just adding hot water at serving.
With flaxseeds and berries or apple/cinnamon20230820_103231.jpg

Since finding these sprouted rolled oats at Costco I've been microwaving them with water in the morning rather than just adding hot water at serving.
With flaxseeds and berries or apple/cinnamon

it is such a simple easy way to cook them! I like my steel cut oats and love my rolled oats in the microwave even more

The even cooler thing is that those sprouted oats are from a Canadian company in British Columbia!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: silva and PTree15
I had a bag of Steel Cut Oats in the pantry for a long time so I decided to use them with this recipe.

The recipe called for the whole bag. I hadn't realized how much oatmeal it would make. I should have thought about it a little. longer. I split into three 4- cup containers. Two in the freezer and one in the frig.

It's worth considering making only half or a third of a recipe at a time.

I measure out a cup of oats, add half a cup of milk, and microwave it. Then add ground flax seed, maple syrup and maybe some raisins.

Oh, and it's really good.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
^ that is so interesting.
Some take-a-ways.
These are all instant oatmeals. And instant oatmeal is the least healthy choice in the general oatmeal category. And Quaker Oats seems to make the least healthy instant oatmeal as well.
another interesting note is that every one of these has sugar as its second ingredient. even above the strawberries. You could probably do some arithmetic if you had the nutrition facts and figure out how many teaspoons or grams of sugar they added.
Kudos to the UK version for not adding salt. they also left out the milk so that is the only one here that's vegan.
Eight of the ingredients they removed from the 2018 version were vitamins.

I bought some oats in my shopping so I am going to try having them again as I know they are so good for you. I bought frozen mango so I am going to try overnight oats with mango, maple syrup and plant milk.