Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

So I’m wondering, is a two week quarantine not sufficient anymore to feel safe? If three separate households literally did not leave their home and have anyone come in their house for two full weeks, would it not be safe for them to get together for a holiday?

So I’m wondering, is a two week quarantine not sufficient anymore to feel safe? If three separate households literally did not leave their home and have anyone come in their house for two full weeks, would it not be safe for them to get together for a holiday?

Yes but apparently not quite 100 % safe as some people develop systems after day 14.
How would you do the grocery shopping for the party and would they have to stop to get petrol on their way over ?

Yes but apparently not quite 100 % safe as some people develop systems after day 14.
How would you do the grocery shopping for the party and would they have to stop to get petrol on their way over ?
We would stick with curbside pickup. It might mean altering the menu if we couldn’t get something we wanted but that’s no big deal. My oldest daughter would only have to drive 90 minutes so no stops on the way.
We will likely not do it. I was just wondering if there was any way that would be considered safe.

Based on Lou’s article, Thanksgiving could work out on the deck with the deck heater as long as it’s not freezing cold. We have had several years where thanksgiving was 60 degrees. We’ve also had snow lol.

Reactions: Freesia and Lou
We would stick with curbside pickup. It might mean altering the menu if we couldn’t get something we wanted but that’s no big deal. My oldest daughter would only have to drive 90 minutes so no stops on the way.
We will likely not do it. I was just wondering if there was any way that would be considered safe.

If there is no outside contact between the 3 groups of people 14 days prior to the gathering, it would be considered 99.9 % safe.

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
Some two months ago there was an average of five deaths per day from covid 19 in the UK. This about equals the number of deaths from road traffic accidents. Not really too serious then? Time to be relaxed about restrictions?

The average of daily covid 19 deaths is now in excess of three hundred and rising.

Hence Boris has instigated a one month national lockdown for England.

Roger.

I had already prepared myself for this about a month ago. I am just staying in as much as possible. My husband has time off work so he just needs to work one week in the next month.

I'm probably repeating myself but I feel so sorry for people who live alone and don't even have pets or anything! It must be so isolating.

Some two months ago there was an average of five deaths per day from covid 19 in the UK. This about equals the number of deaths from road traffic accidents. Not really too serious then? Time to be relaxed about restrictions?

The average of daily covid 19 deaths is now in excess of three hundred and rising.

Hence Boris has instigated a one month national lockdown for England.

Roger.
That's five deaths on top of road accidents, not instead of, thus doubling the deaths overall. It's serious for the five people per day and their families. We should do something about road traffic too. I am glad we have freedoms here in Sweden that perhaps you guys don't have but I sometimes wish that those freedoms were limited when people walk right up to me or jog close by me or block paths while they are talking so that I have to either walk between them or get my feet wet going around them. There are clear markings on the shop floors that show how far away to stand from others but they are often ignored. Lockdowns might not be the ultimate solution and we may end up having to live with covid the way we have lived with the flu for so long but I also don't thing people should demonize them. At the moment lockdowns, good hygiene and social distancing are probably the best weapon we have.

I had already prepared myself for this about a month ago. I am just staying in as much as possible. My husband has time off work so he just needs to work one week in the next month.

I'm probably repeating myself but I feel so sorry for people who live alone and don't even have pets or anything! It must be so isolating.
It can be. but that is why god invented the telephone, FaceTime, Zoom, and email.

That's five deaths on top of road accidents, not instead of, thus doubling the deaths overall. It's serious for the five people per day and their families. We should do something about road traffic too. I am glad we have freedoms here in Sweden that perhaps you guys don't have but I sometimes wish that those freedoms were limited when people walk right up to me or jog close by me or block paths while they are talking so that I have to either walk between them or get my feet wet going around them. There are clear markings on the shop floors that show how far away to stand from others but they are often ignored. Lockdowns might not be the ultimate solution and we may end up having to live with covid the way we have lived with the flu for so long but I also don't thing people should demonize them. At the moment lockdowns, good hygiene and social distancing are probably the best weapon we have.

I totally get what you are saying but here in California traffic fatalities are way down cause there are just so many less people on the road. I don't have any recent data but last spring traffic fatalities were reduced by 50%.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I totally get what you are saying but here in California traffic fatalities are way down cause there are just so many less people on the road. I don't have any recent data but last spring traffic fatalities were reduced by 50%.

But without the lockdown, and people just choosing to stay in more, there would be the usual traffic fatalities PLUS more COVID deaths.

Also, the deaths that are related to the precautions are only just starting to get attention. We're getting some news stories about elderly people whose health has worsened due to the social isolation. There is starting to be some talk about how the homicide rate has gone up.

However, we have yet to hear about deaths that resulted from the financial hardships people are dealing with, from the emotional effects (substance misuse, suicide, etc), from the physical effects of staying in (lack of exercise, avoiding going to the doctor for routine and more minor things), and so much more.

It will come out in time. We'll have two death tolls - deaths caused directly by the virus and deaths due to indirect causes.

It will come out in time. We'll have two death tolls - deaths caused directly by the virus and deaths due to indirect causes.
You're right. I was just pointing out the decrease in car accidents as a by-product. I wasn't trying to minimize or excuse the fatalities, just pointed it out to be thorough.

Probably should stop digging but didn't I read that in NYC pedestrian accidents went from something like one a day to one a month over the summer?

and the indirect deaths and stuff are not only considerable but I'm seeing more and more reports about them.

Sometimes in emergencies, ambulances can't take a person to the nearest hospital because it's full.
People put off getting checkups because the hospitals are too busy.
Doctors postponing care because they are too busy or because the risk of entering a hospital is too high.
Even when a person survives his health may be permanently affected.
And we still don't know if there are other things like cancers that will show up later.
Not sure if this one counts - but how about medical research that may be postponed till the doctors, researchers are less busy or the study can be done safely.
And how about treatments for diagnosed illnesses that have been postponed?

I'm sure there are even more that I haven't heard about.

@Lou Yeah, there is so much.

Pedestrian accidents might be down, but bike accidents have gone way up. People are bicycling in order to avoid public transit.

And I think there are a lot of stories we aren't hearing because people have lost access to the internet and/or their social network in real life - they're dealing with some form of housing insecurity, their phone has been shut off because they couldn't pay the bill.

And plenty of people are probably also embarassed or just sad about their circumstances and are avoiding people because of that (untreated health issues, gained a lot of weight, battling addiction, lost their job/family/relationship, stuff like that).

When we can go out and talk to each other normally again, we'll start to hear more of those stories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freesia
Two more kids in our middle school tested positive. Not in my grandson’s class thankfully.
Two in primary school as well but granddaughter has been doing remote learning so no worries there.

I asked for an antibody test on Friday when I was at the doctor's office. I also mentioned a COVID test but that it might really hurt to do a nasal swab with the eye injury.

The nurse basically refused both. She said a COVID test wasn't advisable because I had no symptoms. And she said, "An antibody test won't really tell you anything."

They said I should just go take care of my eye and not worry about it.

The messaging about detecting asymptomatic cases is very unclear. Earlier this year, a doctor wanted me to have an antibody test because I seemed exceptionally healthy and likely to have been asymptomatic if I'd had it.

I think the odds are that I haven't gotten it. I really hope I don't.

City news:

I have a friend in Manhattan who's an anti-masker. He thinks the death toll has been artificially inflated. He's anti-Trump. Distrusting of all authorities. Also a life-long vegetarian.

I don't get it. We had a lot of death earlier this year and it was really obvious. How can anyone live in Manhattan and be in denial like that?

I think it's actually related to the denial part of the grieving process. People are still in a state of shock and are grieving all that we've lost. Denial is an emotional response to that. The emotions are too intense; denial represses it, puts it off.

There is also the devastation caused by the prevention measures - tons of homelessness, boarded up businesses, desperate and hungry people. I think that also inspires people to question everything - the government seems to be going too far, destroying people's livelihoods, and why?

But it's so different in areas of the city that were badly affected. There's a much different tone. I side with those people. I listen to them. They take everything seriously. They lost friends and family members.

New York is a giant cluster of small towns. A lot of people don't visit the other towns too much. But I do.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
The nurse basically refused both. She said a COVID test wasn't advisable because I had no symptoms. And she said, "An antibody test won't really tell you anything."

I agree with the nurse. but there is are exceptions that comes up here. If you are going out of town, starting a new job, or moving, or having relatives visit and stay with you. Then they want you to get tested.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I agree with the nurse. but there is are exceptions that comes up here. If you are going out of town, starting a new job, or moving, or having relatives visit and stay with you. Then they want you to get tested.

Cuomo was, at one point, urging everyone in a "hot spot," to get tested. I'm on the edge of a hot spot, but I volunteer right in the middle of one. However, I couldn't explain that to the nurse while in so much pain. That injury was 48 hours of searing pain. Then it was suddenly better.

The government here released a notice thT people in x regions should get tested. This amounted to about 500,000 people, and heaps did go to the testing station. Then in the afternoon it was revealed that the message was a mistake and there was no specific problem happening in those regions...

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Somebody just coughed when they were behind me in the shop. :yuck: I was buying more toilet roll as the supermarkets I order online from are already running low.

During this lockdown I am probably just going to use online deliveries and two local shops. The local shops both keep their doors open and they aren't too busy. I hardly ever went in these shops the whole time I've lived around here but they have been getting quite a lot of my money since March!