Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I don’t even know what they mean. 🤭☺️

It's just an accent used in some languages, such as German. I think some Scandinavian languages use them too.

The German Ö sound has no equivalent in English. It's kind of a cross between oooo and uh.

Since the 70's, a growing number of metal bands have used random umlauts in English names. It's pretty much a joke these days.

Seems kind of random on the sign, but I guess someone thought it was funny.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
We got an announcement written by Cuomo today:

He's not a very good writer. He's better at public speaking.

I know a lot of people hate the Daily News and prefer the NY Times for obvious reasons. However, Times articles are only viewable if you have a paid subscription, so it's not very useful to post them (except for the viewable content).

Anyway, NYC's plan sounds murky. It doesn't address things like: clusters that are based on social circle but not geography, worst case scenarios (what if hospitals fill up?), public transit (will we be asked to avoid it again?), and many other things.

It's good that we're strategizing, but how effective will this strategy be?

We got an announcement written by Cuomo today:

He's not a very good writer. He's better at public speaking.

I know a lot of people hate the Daily News and prefer the NY Times for obvious reasons. However, Times articles are only viewable if you have a paid subscription, so it's not very useful to post them (except for the viewable content).

Anyway, NYC's plan sounds murky. It doesn't address things like: clusters that are based on social circle but not geography, worst case scenarios (what if hospitals fill up?), public transit (will we be asked to avoid it again?), and many other things.

It's good that we're strategizing, but how effective will this strategy be?
I can't see the post article either.

• Sad
Reactions: Urban Gardener
It says not available in my area but it did Open for me anyway.

Wow. Our media is restricted to locals. That's ridiculous.

Here it is:

Our new battleplan on the COVID warfront: Andrew Cuomo lays out New York’s strategy to defeat the virus

By ANDREW CUOMO
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
OCT 25, 2020 AT 5:00 AM

While politics rages, the economy suffers and nerves fray, the COVID virus progresses.

COVID is now deeply entrenched within the American home. How the virus was allowed to migrate from China and enter our airports from Europe without warning, and how our nation was so unprepared to deal with an outbreak after having experienced MERS, SARS and Ebola is a topic for another day. But all along, the virus has been one step ahead of us.

As summer turns to fall and fall turns to winter we see the next COVID battles looming. Let’s finally plan ahead.

The winter, still several months away, will be the “season of the vaccine.” We can identify the questions concerning the vaccine but not yet the answers. When will a vaccine be developed? Will the American people believe it is safe? How long will it take to accomplish the massive undertaking of vaccinating the entire population? (This nation has only performed 128 million COVID tests over the past seven months; vaccination requires more than 300 million injections.)

Will the federal government develop the competence to effectively administer the vaccine, or will the states once again be left to manage on their own? Can state administrations even manage such a task? These are the questions to anticipate, discuss and resolve. Last weekend, the National Governors
Association sent President Trump 36 questions on vaccine administration that have yet to be answered.

While we plan for the vaccine, we must deal with the here and now.

The fall, as expected, has seen an increase in the viral transmission rate. Scientific experts predicted the increase as congregate activity expanded, schools and colleges opened, people moved indoors and “COVID fatigue” set in. Once again, the federal government is without a substantive strategy or program beyond the president’s admonition “Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life.” In his final debate with Joe Biden, Trump repeated his wishful thinking that we are “rounding the turn," that the virus “will go away.”

Cuomo is governor of New York.

----------

I want to attack it with a red pen like an English teacher. This is a B paper at best, maybe B- or C+ depending on the expectations. But since he's our governor . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou and Freesia
Even the very dark Covid cloud has a silver lining for some. Comments recently made by people who prefer to take their chances because they enjoy dining out so much or just going for a coffee:

“Because of social distancing the tables are further apart and people can’t hear your conversation.”
“There are fewer customers so the service is better.”
“Because of greatly improved hygiene everywhere is spotlessly clean.”

Roger.

I'm now stocked up on: soap, dish soap, shower supplies, trash bags, toilet paper, food, and hand sanitizer.

NYC is doing better than the rest of the US right now, but things could change any time. I'd rather stock up now than later when/if things start to get worse.

I got voting out of the way today.

I'm doing 8 more days of in-person volunteer work. I also need to go to the dentist. Aside from that and walking the dog, I'm staying in. The rate of positive test results is a lagging indicator. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Even the very dark Covid cloud has a silver lining for some. Comments recently made by people who prefer to take their chances because they enjoy dining out so much or just going for a coffee:

“Because of social distancing the tables are further apart and people can’t hear your conversation.”
“There are fewer customers so the service is better.”
“Because of greatly improved hygiene everywhere is spotlessly clean.”

Roger.
omg, agree with the hygiene. this aspect is truthfully impressive

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I think we need to combine all the tools to be able to get back to a more normal situation: Vaccines and mass vaccinations to prevent the spread, improved treatments and medicines to heal those who are unlucky enough to get infected, contact tracing and faster, cheaper, more reliable testing to identify potential new cases, as well as social distancing measures, handwashing, face masks and lockdowns in areas where there are outbreaks.

My sister just told me that our cousin, Kathy, who is a nurse in Sioux Falls, SD (a hard hit area) has covid. :( She and her daughter will live on different floors in her house.
I hope she will be ok. 💙

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie
This is a cool article. On my puter it did not display perfectly but the content was interesting and I learned a few more things.
#1. gotta be careful.

Reactions: Emma JC
We had nearly 350 new cases just in Brooklyn today.

My dog clawed my left eye. Literally scratched my eyeball with one of his claws (by accident). We were cuddling.

So now I'm wondering if it's possible to get COVID from that. Just an hour before, we were out walking down the sidewalk and walking around a local park. It seems unlikely.

This is a cool article. On my puter it did not display perfectly but the content was interesting and I learned a few more things.
#1. gotta be careful.

I had trouble viewing from my phone but I think I got enough out of it. It is good. Thanks for sharing. I sent it to my daughter’s as we are trying to decide what to do for the holidays.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC