Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

It's hard to tell if it makes sense.

However, I luckily have very mild symptoms so far and I was tested positive. I only went to the test (first one was negative) because one of the technicians in our department was tested positive and we all had to go for the swab on Tuesday and Friday.

What does the public health department in your country recommend?

I'm near an outbreak cluster so they're encouraging everyone to get tested.

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but i favour staying home and staying away from people if possible over being tested if you dont have symptoms. Why? because when i was on a disability benefit the governent agencies would send me to the doctors over and over again to get medical certificates (in other countries i would not have to do that, my ex has the same condition and he didnt have this happen to him)

but anyway with these pointless doctor visits, i would go to the doctors surgery well and come back with some sniffly bug which was on one of the waiting room people.... it was a relief to go off the benefit as i wasnt having to go into these flu-ey waiting rooms....

Not an unpopular opinion with me.

Personally, I think that testing has great potential but as of right now I don't see it as a better option than self quarantining. If you can self-quarantine that is the way to go.

Someday tests will be as accurate, cheap, and fast as pregnancy tests. when we have those we can safely open schools and businesses.

Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
Not an unpopular opinion with me.

Personally, I think that testing has great potential but as of right now I don't see it as a better option than self quarantining. If you can self-quarantine that is the way to go.

Someday tests will be as accurate, cheap, and fast as pregnancy tests. when we have those we can safely open schools and businesses.

Even some sort of mail order test would be better, at least you wouldnt have to go somewhere which has potential germs..

Reactions: Emma JC
The lab just called: the test was "negative".

Nobody seems to know 100% how to proceed further now though (test again in 24 h or in 48 h? start working again? wait?) and referred to the public health department.

Symptoms seem to be unchanged. Mild cough, easily winded, a bit of a sore throat. It's hard to tell though if there are slight changes or not. I don't feel really "ill".

but anyway with these pointless doctor visits, i would go to the doctors surgery well and come back with some sniffly bug which was on one of the waiting room people.... it was a relief to go off the benefit as i wasnt having to go into these flu-ey waiting rooms....
This is why I didn't want to go to Accident & Emergency at the hospital the other day. I thought if I was going to catch Covid it would be there. The staff and patients in there were not social distancing at all, I noticed.

My GP surgery has been quite good with telephone appointments. I have had three during lockdown with a doctor I have never even seen while I've been in there face to face. She has been very good, I think they should keep the phone appointments as they seem far more efficient!

Ok, so no quarantine for me says PH department! I'm free to roam again but I'm on sick leave until Friday because of course symptoms didn't magically disappear with a negative swab.

Coughing and that slight burning sensation is a little bit worse since yesterday but given the fact that how many people I've talked to today over the phone I'm not really surprised since all of this is quite exhausting. My oximeter arrived today. Normal oxygen levels, mild tachycardia (as expected because infection).

Hospital lab seems to be more suspicious than PHD. I had to come in today and they drew blood for antibody testing. So now I'm stalking my labs from home. They suspect recent/past infection without me really noticing.

Rapid testing is available here. I might go and get one later today, along with an antibody test and flu vaccine.

It's a data point. If you ever get a positive antibody test, you can use past negative results to narrow down the time when you might have had it.

I went to one of the city's official Free Testing sites.

Before entering, I put on medical gloves. It makes sense. I was going to be touching the same surfaces as a lot of symptomatic people.

I opened the door and was greeted with, "YOU CAN'T WEAR THOSE GLOVES IN HERE!!"

I took off the gloves. Then she handed me a clipboard and showed me to a check-in station.

I had to sign a bunch of forms using another pen that everyone else was also using.

They asked for a lot of info, most of which was not related to COVID.

Then they told me that I had to create a MyChart account in order to access the results.

I said no and left. I don't trust the security of MyChart. It's not an abstract concern. It comes from experience in the industry, knowledge of how that kind of software tends to function (not just as an end-user), and what the security issues may be. It's also not uncommon for people to be stalked and targeted with various kinds of abuse for medical reasons.

The guy tried to tell me that I couldn't get COVID test results anywhere without a MyChart account. I know that to be false. I said so.

Anyway, I probably sound like I'm over-reacting. But the place just struck me as a little sketchy.

I decided to take more measures to lower my risk, and to seek testing at a different location.

We have drive-through sites here. You don’t even have to get out of your car. At least that is the case in New York and Connecticut. They did the same thing with the flu clinic. Rather than have people congregate and come into the building they set up a station in the parking lot and people got their flu shots are staying in their car. You still have to be masked of course.

A positive case in our elementary school. Luckily my granddaughter has not been in school. She’s been doing distance learning at home.
Three kids were sent home sick yesterday in the middle school. Will be interesting to see how that plays out as grandson went to in person learning beginning of October. His distance learning program was really bad, unlike my granddaughter’s which has been excellent.
I guess there’s hope that it’s just generic kid illnesses and not Covid but Connecticut’s numbers are rising. ☹️

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but i favour staying home and staying away from people if possible over being tested if you dont have symptoms. Why? because when i was on a disability benefit the governent agencies would send me to the doctors over and over again to get medical certificates (in other countries i would not have to do that, my ex has the same condition and he didnt have this happen to him)

I totally get this, 100%. But since we have drive-through clinics here, I would be too crazy if I were sick, and not knowing if it was Covid or not. I would absolutely need to know for my own sanity, lol.
We still haven’t found new doctors yet and I’m dreading it. But we need prescription renewals at some point and our previous doctors cannot prescribe if we don’t go in for a follow up. It would be a two hour drive with traffic/construction. I don’t feel like it would be worth it, plus I need to find new doctors at some point anyway.

A positive case in our elementary school. Luckily my granddaughter has not been in school. She’s been doing distance learning at home.
Three kids were sent home sick yesterday in the middle school. Will be interesting to see how that plays out as grandson went to in person learning beginning of October. His distance learning program was really bad, unlike my granddaughter’s which has been excellent.
I guess there’s hope that it’s just generic kid illnesses and not Covid but Connecticut’s numbers are rising. ☹️

The CT numbers are in the news here. Cuomo says you guys would be quarantined from us, but it isn't possible.

I'm car-free so I'm stuck with walk-in testing sites.

I also get allergy symptoms just from being in my apartment sometimes. The former residents smoked and so do the neighbors. I don't mind smelling it outdoors or coming through the walls and the floor. But it makes me sniffly. Most of the windows are either sealed shut or being used for AC units.

I feel good today, though. Hoping it stays that way.

Yes, I heard on the news this morning that CT, NY and NJ are keeping borders open but are urging people to stay put.

I totally get this, 100%. But since we have drive-through clinics here, I would be too crazy if I were sick, and not knowing if it was Covid or not. I would absolutely need to know for my own sanity, lol.
We still haven’t found new doctors yet and I’m dreading it. But we need prescription renewals at some point and our previous doctors cannot prescribe if we don’t go in for a follow up. It would be a two hour drive with traffic/construction. I don’t feel like it would be worth it, plus I need to find new doctors at some point anyway.
Yes. Even though I think the tests are not good enough to rely on (yet). if you are feeling sick or been in contact with someone who is sick you SHOULD get tested.

My town set up a testing area outdoors in a parking lot that is not being used right now. Like 20 little tents. Its been there a month. Still not manned tho. Not sure what happened to the plan. but my city and county are both reporting less and less new cases.

we have this complicated color code for what is open or not and I keep forgetting the details but we are in some shade of orange today and if we stay that way we get to open something. Already we have opened more stuff than since we started the lockdown. They just opened playgrounds and installed handwashing stations.

another good trend is that as this goes on businesses keep figuring out new things. We now have an online comedy club. the top floor or a parking structure has been turned into a movie theatre where seating is 6 feet apart. several big parking lots have been turned into drive-ins, and other stuff like that.

My daughter’s MIL was sick back in April and wasn’t tested because the tests weren’t readily available yet. But she is a cancer survivor, 74, and was really sick with high fever and cough. She also lives alone. She was just told to isolate. She is one tough lady IMO. I would be so scared if that were me.