Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I think the empty shelves have to do with the "supply chain". In the global economy, a lot of stuff we rely on comes from over seas. And the supply chain relies on workers - some of whom are employed by businesses that are closed.

Let's be honest, we all have heard about climate change and we all know that we will have to dramatically reduce the amount of resources we all consume, so that humans can continue to live on the planet in a somehow acceptable fashion 25 years from now. Some luxury items not being available now is a sign of a "hickup" in the global production chain but something we would have to get used to anyway in the long run.

As bad as it is, COVID-19 has done more to reduce human CO2 emission than all the conferences on the topic in the last 20 years, if we quickly "get back to normal", that's not necessarily a good thing.

The small company I applied at, where I didn't feel like a "good fit", the owner poked hid head in the interview room with the 4 of us to ask a question and just came out and said out loud "ah, look at all you wearing masks", and he said it in the 'look at you sheep' tone! I'm quite sure I'll get an offer, and quite sure I'll turn them down!

Let's be honest, we all have heard about climate change and we all know that we will have to dramatically reduce the amount of resources we all consume, so that humans can continue to live on the planet in a somehow acceptable fashion 25 years from now. Some luxury items not being available now is a sign of a "hickup" in the global production chain but something we would have to get used to anyway in the long run.

As bad as it is, COVID-19 has done more to reduce human CO2 emission than all the conferences on the topic in the last 20 years, if we quickly "get back to normal", that's not necessarily a good thing.

We should get back to normal in terms of people not dying but also learn from it environmentally - change the economy so we're not destroying our resources like we were before.

Yesterday and today I went out properly for the first time in months, to the vet, on the underground (subway) on trains, in taxis, on a bus and to a restaurant. I went away from London for a day and I noticed that people in London seem to be taking the mask wearing and social distancing far more seriously than outside London. On the bus on the way home in London today a man was told he couldn't get on the bus as he didn't have a mask or face covering.

This is a very sad article but it is so good that awareness is coming to the mainstream...

Emma JC

It seems (to me) that one of the themes of COVID it that COVID did not cause the problem but it put a spotlight on it.
Another problem spotlighted: nutrition insecurity.

Whenever I hear that "three out of four Americans are obese or overweight", my mind immediately flashes to this little scene form Captain Fantastic.

Reactions: Emma JC
From the New Yorker Magazine

Shouts & Murmurs

Lexicon for a Pandemic
“Maskhole,” “body Zoom-morphia,” and more neologisms for coronavirus communication.

By Jay Martel

200720_r36748.jpg

Illustration by Luci Gutiérrez

Maskhole: An individual who wears a mask in a way that makes it completely ineffective—e.g., below the nose, under the chin, on the back of the head.

Face naked: The state of facial exposure that occurs when an individual declines to wear a mask in public. For example, “Pence went all face naked to the Mayo Clinic.”

Body mullet: What most people wear on Zoom calls: a nice top and, below the waist, underwear or less. (“Business up top, party down below.”)

The novid-19: The nineteen minutes after a too-close interaction with a maskless stranger during which you experience a thickness in your throat and a certainty that you’re dying. This sometimes lasts longer if frantic hand washing, antiseptic gargling, and estate planning are not readily available.

Overdistancing: When the guy in front of you in line has a metric understanding of the six in six feet, allowing twenty feet to open up between him and the next person in line, which then allows others to interpret that next person as the end of the line and to cut in front of you.

Domino distancing: When the person behind you in line stands too close, causing you to crowd the person in front of you, and on and on until everyone dies.

Emotional distancing: Deciding that now really isn’t the time to make big decisions about a relationship or, for that matter, to have a conversation about it.

Covideo: A short video featuring a quarantined individual’s child doing something adorable and/or profane, the public sharing of which falls somewhere between cute and a cry for help.

Stockholm syndrome: The assumption that everyone would be just fine without any government restrictions.

Someday, Noneday, Whoseday?, Whensday?, Blursday, Whyday?, Doesn’tmatterday: Days of the week.

Parenting: The ability to figure out why the PlayStation isn’t working with the Wi-Fi.

Body Zoom-morphia: Finding your own image on a group video call so unappealing that you are unable to focus on anything else.

Quorumtine: The minimum number of family members necessary to decide what to watch on TV.

Pan-demic: A potentially dangerous increase in the baking of bread in a quarantined home.

covid-30: Formerly covid-15; the amount of weight gained by an average adult during quarantine. Sometimes related to a pan-demic.

Helter shelter: That moment in the quarantine day when everything seems dirty and chaotic and you feel like saying, “**** it, let’s go outside. I don’t care if we die and a bunch of other people do, too.”

Flattening the curve: Trying to fit into your jeans after three months of sweatpants. (See covid-30.)

Germophobe: Formerly, crazy people (e.g., Howard Hughes); now everyone except crazy people.

Going viral: No longer used. ♦

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
They're having bf return to the office, no more working from home. It's been a while since he was in contact with someone that was positive for covid, both of us are still healthy. He said people traveled 2+ hours to take the ACT test.

My neighborhood has a resident mask-yeller. She believes in a lot of conspiracy theories, has surveillance cameras in her windows, and yells at people for doing ordinary things. Wears camo. Really racist. I go out of my way to avoid her.

She's one of those people who stands out, even at a distance, as a little off. But I don't like to judge people, so I talked to her. She seemed nice for a while. Then she yelled at me for not using racist language, and for donating blood. She actually sought me out just to rant at me while I was out with the dog. Creepy.

My neighborhood has a resident mask-yeller. She believes in a lot of conspiracy theories, has surveillance cameras in her windows, and yells at people for doing ordinary things. Wears camo. Really racist. I go out of my way to avoid her.

She's one of those people who stands out, even at a distance, as a little off. But I don't like to judge people, so I talked to her. She seemed nice for a while. Then she yelled at me for not using racist language, and for donating blood. She actually sought me out just to rant at me while I was out with the dog. Creepy.
Wow... she might be bipolar or smth...😳 I happened to meet a few people with bipolar disorder (they had been diagnosed), and their behavioral patterns matched the ones that you've described. Pretty eery.:fsm: :bag:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
@Val - It's hard to say. I think she's just absorbed in far right media. She might be a veteran. She has some, "Go Army," signs in her windows.

If I had to label her with a mental illness, she's more like someone with schizophrenia. She's smart but living in a different version of reality than most of us.