Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I cannot believe what I’m seeing on Facebook. Oh wait, yes I can lol.

There is a town in Connecticut where the people are in an uproar about New Yorkers coming into their state. I can’t believe the nasty comments. They are talking “border control”. :eek: Thankfully there are many people standing up to this. Most of them, you can tell, are genuinely fearful. Others are just being jerks. ☹️

There is a town in Connecticut where the people are in an uproar about New Yorkers coming into their state. I can’t believe the nasty comments. They are talking “border control”. :eek: Thankfully there are many people standing up to this. Most of them, you can tell, are genuinely fearful. Others are just being jerks. ☹

Is that because not all states are in a lockdown? People should not be going out and moving from one town to another anyway.

Over here we are only allowed to go out for a walk/run within a 1 km radius for a max. of an hour. Moreover, a form is needed with all the relavent information plus ID. If you don't have one you get a huge fine.

It's a shame that some people just don't get it and think that they won't catch this virus.:(

Is that because not all states are in a lockdown? People should not be going out and moving from one town to another anyway.

Over here we are only allowed to go out for a walk/run within a 1 km radius for a max. of an hour. Moreover, a form is needed with all the relavent information plus ID. If you don't have one you get a huge fine.

It's a shame that some people just don't get it and think that they won't catch this virus.:(
We are allowed to go out for essentials. The essential list is quite long. In this particular instance I think it’s due to many NYers having a second residence in Connecticut. It’s not them going there for entertainment or anything like that. Many would be going in the summertime anyway, so from what I’m gathering, they are going earlier since they are likely not able to go into work. Part of me feels like if they have residence there, they are entitled to shelter in place there. I think the issue is that CT wants the NYers to quarantine for 14 days before going out at all. And I actually understand that, knowing what we know about NY having the highest cases of Covid19.

But if there is not a mandatory quarantine, and both CT and NYers are “allowed” to “go out for essentials”, of course the NYers are going to feel like they can do the same in their CT residence. It’s the “fear” that NYers that go into CT are going to carry and spread the illness to CT because many of us are supposedly carrying the virus with no symptoms and don’t even know it.

I hope you are doing well, shyvas or at least as well as can be expected. I’m glad you and your neighbor have each other to help each other out when there’s a need. <3

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
We are allowed to go out for essentials. The essential list is quite long. In this particular instance I think it’s due to many NYers having a second residence in Connecticut. It’s not them going there for entertainment or anything like that. Many would be going in the summertime anyway, so from what I’m gathering, they are going earlier since they are likely not able to go into work. Part of me feels like if they have residence there, they are entitled to shelter in place there. I think the issue is that CT wants the NYers to quarantine for 14 days before going out at all. And I actually understand that, knowing what we know about NY having the highest cases of Covid19.

But if there is not a mandatory quarantine, and both CT and NYers are “allowed” to “go out for essentials”, of course the NYers are going to feel like they can do the same in their CT residence. It’s the “fear” that NYers that go into CT are going to carry and spread the illness to CT because many of us are supposedly carrying the virus with no symptoms and don’t even know it.

I hope you are doing well, shyvas or at least as well as can be expected. I’m glad you and your neighbor have each other to help each other out when there’s a need. <3

It all boils down to that people should not be moving around except for going out for food or medication. It took quite some time for people over here to understand how serious the situation is.
A lockdown should have been enforced weeks ago and now it's too late for many people who have died. There are already 6 doctors overhere, who have died including one who came out of retirement to help the ill.

My friend isn't particularly worried as she is never ill and yes I'm lucky to have her.
I received a phone call from another friend (in her 60's) very last last night. It was just to let me know that she was also thinking of me and hopes that we can all survive this virus. We talked about the 'good old days' which now seem carefree and had a good laugh. It was so nice to have received such a heart lifting call.;)

All the conflicting information that we are being fed is quite confusing at times. The recommendations about how many metres distance between people is one that I'm confronted with every time that I have to go out. I don't understand why it's different depending on which country you live in. I think that the WHO should be giving out a clear message as it's vital to get it right.

Over here it's only 1 metre which to my mind, is not enough.

The recommendation of 1.5 metres is not only based on our knowledge of influenza, it is also a practical distance that allows us to go about our daily lives.
Obviously it’s not a precise measurement, nor is it absolutely guaranteed to prevent spread. But that approximate distance is better than no distance.
The lack of scientific rigour behind these recommendations is borne out in the varied advice from around the world.
The UK’s National Health Service recommends people with symptoms stay at least 2 metres away from others.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everybody should “put distance between yourself and other people”.
Finally, the World Health Organisation advises to keep at least 1 metre between you and anyone coughing and sneezing.

So you get the general idea. Don’t get close.

Coronavirus: why should we stay 1.5 metres away from each other?

People are egoistic to no limit... A big group of tourists arrived from Thailand and was isolated in a hospital in Southern-Sakhalinsk city (Sakhalin island). They all were tested. 29 tests seemed suspicious and needed the second double-check. Those 29 people were placed into special boxes. The others were obligate to stay at the hospital as well and be double-checked too. But they went amok, made a real (small) revolt and were trying to flee! Police and personnel managed to calm them down, but it took time.🥴

There is a town in Connecticut where the people are in an uproar about New Yorkers coming into their state. I can’t believe the nasty comments. They are talking “border control”. :eek: Thankfully there are many people standing up to this. Most of them, you can tell, are genuinely fearful. Others are just being jerks. ☹
It's unfortunate that people are such jerks and so nasty, and yes, I agree that border control is definitely extreme. That said, this sort of travel is a concern when there are suggestions/directives for people to just stay home already and not travel unnecessarily -- especially if they are from the hot spots. Their leaving their states isn't going to protect them from the virus, especially if they already have it. And if they do have it, they increase the chances of spreading it in their new location when they go food shopping to stock up their summer homes, for instance.

My parents live year-round in a small beach town in Rhode Island, and my mom got really nervous the other day seeing all the summer people start coming early. Most of the cars at her little market were from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. She decided against shopping there. Our governor here in Connecticut has asked anybody coming from other states to self-quarantine for 14 days, but I seriously doubt these people would do that since they flouted the directives from their own states to stay put in the first place. What all of this does is also increase the risk that medical facilities will be overwhelmed if the number of cases starts to increase because of the influx of people from elsewhere. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I worry about my parents, as they are in the risky category with their ages.

speaking of border patrol... I haven't seen a word about this in the American media however the Canadian government has informed us that the US wishes to put troops on our border to stop people from coming into the USA.... this is the most ridiculous and awful idea

ridiculous because absolutely none of us want to go to the US ( I personally haven't gone for the past 3.5 years and won't until he who shall not be named is gone, I can see the US from my home) and it is the world's longest unmilitarized border and has been for hundreds of years.... as if

They say it would be 1000 troops (the border is 9000 km / 5600 miles long) so not only is it silly it is ineffective and sends a terrible message. I think they actually need it to stop people coming north.... so maybe not such a bad plan.

Emma JC

speaking of border patrol... I haven't seen a word about this in the American media however the Canadian government has informed us that the US wishes to put troops on our border to stop people from coming into the USA.... this is the most ridiculous and awful idea

ridiculous because absolutely none of us want to go to the US ( I personally haven't gone for the past 3.5 years and won't until he who shall not be named is gone, I can see the US from my home) and it is the world's longest unmilitarized border and has been for hundreds of years.... as if

They say it would be 1000 troops (the border is 9000 km / 5600 miles long) so not only is it silly it is ineffective and sends a terrible message. I think they actually need it to stop people coming north.... so maybe not such a bad plan.

Emma JC

NPR was talking about this the other day, and most agreed it was a bad idea, a waste of resources and just bad "optics" as they say.

It's unfortunate that people are such jerks and so nasty, and yes, I agree that border control is definitely extreme. That said, this sort of travel is a concern when there are suggestions/directives for people to just stay home already and not travel unnecessarily -- especially if they are from the hot spots. Their leaving their states isn't going to protect them from the virus, especially if they already have it. And if they do have it, they increase the chances of spreading it in their new location when they go food shopping to stock up their summer homes, for instance.

My parents live year-round in a small beach town in Rhode Island, and my mom got really nervous the other day seeing all the summer people start coming early. Most of the cars at her little market were from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. She decided against shopping there. Our governor here in Connecticut has asked anybody coming from other states to self-quarantine for 14 days, but I seriously doubt these people would do that since they flouted the directives from their own states to stay put in the first place. What all of this does is also increase the risk that medical facilities will be overwhelmed if the number of cases starts to increase because of the influx of people from elsewhere. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I worry about my parents, as they are in the risky category with their ages.
Yes, I totally understand the concern. It’s good to have the perspective of people on the other side. I’m a total comply-er so if I do move anytime soon I’m likely to be quarantined for the 14 days. I think my point was, if I’m already sheltering in place and make it to the 14 days and more without getting sick, then I’m not likely going to infect anyone. I think it would be more likely that I would catch the virus from someone else. Then again, if I come in contact with people at the closing and then the movers...:argh:

So yeah, “just stay home” would probably apply for everyone’s sake.

on that note, the appraisal is Monday! 🤞🏻

I think I’m more annoyed at the nasty attitudes. As if everyone in that particular town is following protocol. They act like they are all living in this protective bubble when they have no idea who might be leaving the state themselves and bringing back the virus. Not to mention the ones who aren’t practicing social distancing.

I think I’m more annoyed at the nasty attitudes. As if everyone in that particular town is following protocol. They act like they are all living in this protective bubble when they have no idea who might be leaving the state themselves and bringing back the virus. Not to mention the ones who aren’t practicing social distancing.

I don't get it. How can people be so dumb and still be going out ? I have just spoken with a doctor that I know and she said that the
virus is highly contagious and people should not be mingling and going out. Moreover, she said that many doctors and nurses are going to die.
That really made me sad as she has to work at a local clinic.